• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

dies at idle and ticks on hwy?

bmass84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
ok well, my 1997 2.3l has been having a problem that I cannot figure out. First off runnin down the highway I will start to hear/feel a tick along with a slight hesitation. It will keep doing it till until I take it out of gear and coast to idle rpm. Then I throw it in 3rd an take off just fine. At first I just poured in some injector cleaner and when it would happen it would kick out a huge plume of smoke. It doesn't kick smoke anymore but it still ticks! Also last week I broke down and bought a k&n intake kit for it because my stock had uncountable holes and it seems there are no stock intakes for 4cyl left in socal. After I installed the intake I checked over everything for correct installtion and make sure I had no leaks. Fired it up and it ran like a bat outta hell(warm). Started next morning with irregular idle and it would die everytime I would stop or slow down. Any ideas there?

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
ok well, my 1997 2.3l has been having a problem that I cannot figure out. First off runnin down the highway I will start to hear/feel a tick along with a slight hesitation. It will keep doing it till until I take it out of gear and coast to idle rpm. Then I throw it in 3rd an take off just fine. At first I just poured in some injector cleaner and when it would happen it would kick out a huge plume of smoke. It doesn't kick smoke anymore but it still ticks! Also last week I broke down and bought a k&n intake kit for it because my stock had uncountable holes and it seems there are no stock intakes for 4cyl left in socal. After I installed the intake I checked over everything for correct installtion and make sure I had no leaks. Fired it up and it ran like a bat outta hell(warm). Started next morning with irregular idle and it would die everytime I would stop or slow down. Any ideas there?
. do you have any codes I would clean the iacv,(sometimes cleaner doe not help and it needs to be replaced) do not over oil the k and n or it will mess with the maf.......make sure you keep the maf clean,,,,

bmass84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Yea I had codes. I can't remember the njmbers but I had system lean, misfire cyl.4, and an evap. I changed plugs and wires and found a pinched line and a diconnected vaccum. Then added the fuel injestor cleaner and new intake. I figured all that was causing my codes. I hooked the scanner and cleared codes and drivin about 70 miles without the light comming back on

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yea I had codes. I can't remember the njmbers but I had system lean, misfire cyl.4, and an evap. I changed plugs and wires and found a pinched line and a diconnected vaccum. Then added the fuel injestor cleaner and new intake. I figured all that was causing my codes. I hooked the scanner and cleared codes and drivin about 70 miles without the light comming back on
i would clean the iacv and change the fuel filter(maintanence). check for codes if you have a reader sometimes you will pick up a pending code ....I hope you used autolite or motorcraft plugs and wires.......

*check the pcv valve also

Last edited:

bmass84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah forgot to mention I changed fuel filter and filler neck. I got the went to the dealer and got recomended plugs and wires from them. This is my first 4cyl and first ranger besides my old 68 f250 ranger. Big difference between 390 and the 140. Somebody also told me I should try upgrading my fuel injectors but I don't know if I should get the same ones or what # I should use. Also now I'm considering since I just got the truck I don't know the last time the timing belt was changed maybe that would make a difference.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yeah forgot to mention I changed fuel filter and filler neck. I got the went to the dealer and got recomended plugs and wires from them. This is my first 4cyl and first ranger besides my old 68 f250 ranger. Big difference between 390 and the 140. Somebody also told me I should try upgrading my fuel injectors but I don't know if I should get the same ones or what # I should use. Also now I'm considering since I just got the truck I don't know the last time the timing belt was changed maybe that would make a difference.
sounds like you are doing it logically.....i would change the pcv and clean and suspect the iacv= idle air control vlave, it is bolted onto the throttle body with 2 bolts) take it off and clean it out and if that does not work you might want to think about replacing it. Techron is the best fuel injector cleaner.........a bad ECT can casue idle issues( you can test the resistance with a multimeter....

*I don't think the timing belt would cause that issue. at least it is a non-interference engine

Last edited:

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
you might also want to reboot the pcm( disconnect the neg battery with the lights on for 15 minutes) especially after cleaning/replacing the iacv

bmass84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Yea I think id just rather replace the iacv. However I did grab my pcv and give it a good shake. Didn't hear any rattle so I switched it. Already had one for it, just didn't install. I did notice it started running better off chevron gas. but thanks never thought of iacv(not used to having one). I'm sure the trucks gone over 60k on the timing belt so I would rather replace before failure anyways

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yea I think id just rather replace the iacv. However I did grab my pcv and give it a good shake. Didn't hear any rattle so I switched it. Already had one for it, just didn't install. I did notice it started running better off chevron gas. but thanks never thought of iacv(not used to having one). I'm sure the trucks gone over 60k on the timing belt so I would rather replace before failure anyways
let us know if the iacv solves the issue.........I swaer by Techron fuel injector cleaner.......the stuff is great.........chevron and Texaco both have techron in it but not in the quantity that one bottle would give you....I bet those fuel injectors are just screaming for you to please techron them.........lol.....i also run mobil 1 FS and the truck loves it......iI DID NOT NOTICE YOUR LOCATION BUT CHECK THE REAR LEAFSPRING HANGERS AND SHACKLES FOR RUST.........

bmass84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Yea ill pick me up a bottle come time for a fill up. Yea i decided to pull my bed off when I replaced fuel filler neck and check evap lines. While I had it off I checked out everything. Shackles and hangers looked great. Still need to replace shocks back there but I need this motor running right first.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yea ill pick me up a bottle come time for a fill up. Yea i decided to pull my bed off when I replaced fuel filler neck and check evap lines. While I had it off I checked out everything. Shackles and hangers looked great. Still need to replace shocks back there but I need this motor running right first.
I noticed in an earlier post you said you replaced the intake. i assume you change your plugs and wires while it was off....that being said make sure you got all the lines back on ......your idle issue could be caused by one of those....or maybe the truck was doing this before you pulled that off?........i am betting on the iacv..

bmass84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Yea everythings back in place and hooked up with no detectable leaks. I hope its the iacv haha that's cheap...ish

bmass84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Alright finally I've got an update. I replaced the iacv and the only difference I'm getting is my check engine light turning on and off. I can drive around for a while and it will turn on. After a few miles on the hwy it will turn back off. Then evintually turn back on and the story continues...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals