• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dies after starting - just changed lower manifold gaskets - WHAT DID I FORGET?!?

ant.xlt.96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L v6
Transmission
Automatic
I just got everything back together on my 96 4.0 v6 after changing: intake manifold gaskets, valve cover gaskets, and lower manifold gasket.

I labeled everything and it didn't seem like there was anything left over. The truck's been leaking coolant heavily, but there wasn't any coolant in the oil or combustive gases in the radiator, so I didn't change out the head gaskets.

It's turning over and starting, but gasps and dies soon after. It's also still blowing out white smoke, but I didn't know if it needs to burn off the coolant in the system from before the gasket change.

Anything I should check right away? It's "running" very similar to how it was before and gets bogged down when I give it gas, but it wasn't dying before.

This is a work truck, so I need to get it up and running asap. :icon_confused:

Thanks!

ant.xlt.96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L v6
Transmission
Automatic
I've pinpointed this starting issue to the fuel pressure regulator not sealing well and leaking at it's o ring. I definitely had issues popping it back in place, so this doesn't surprise me.

ant.xlt.96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L v6
Transmission
Automatic
Popped the fuel pressure regulator back in and tightened it down, no more leaking fuel.

Still not running.

Seems like it could be a vacuum leak or something not sitting right. I've double and triple checked the hoses I can without disassembly.

Throws a check engine light, but no codes . I pulled 4 incomplete codes of: catalyst, o2 sensor, o2 htr, andn EGR, but I have a feeling those were from before the gasket change.

It's looking like I'm just going to tear off the intake again and double check all connection plugs, especially fuel injectors.

It turns over and starts, but dies 2 seconds afterwards unless I press the throttle. Also belching out white smoke, but not as much as it was before the new gaskets.

Anything is helpful at this point. :dunno:

skyroundy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3t
Transmission
Manual
My credo
do work
sounds like you have a vacuum leak man but that wouldn't explain the smoke. have someone spray some brake parts cleaner around the intake as you keep it running as smooth as you can by pressing the throttle. if it revs up you have a vacuum leak

downer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
97 4.0 OHV 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
if it's white smoke it's likely burning coolant. usual suspect is a bad head gasket and/or cracked head but not always the case. intake gaskets are not going to help this issue. i'd pull the plugs and see what they look like. did you happen to change them when you changed the gaskets? did you have foam in the oil, on dipstick or filler cap before changing gaskets?

Last edited:

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
It's also still blowing out white smoke, but I didn't know if it needs to burn off the coolant in the system from before the gasket change.
What make you decide to change the gaskets? Did it have vacuum leaks or what? What was broke or not doing? The, "still blowing out white smoke" makes me wonder what the original problem was? And how you verified that the gaskets were the problem.

The "white" smoke. Could be something, could be nothing. Was it using coolant before you changed the gaskets? If so, do you know why?

If you got coolant into the exhaust system while changing gaskets, it will take a while to burn it out. It lays in the muffler, cats, etc. and until they get hot enough to burn it out you will have the white steam.

But, it sounds to me like maybe you had a problem before "fixing" it that the gaskets didn't fix.

ant.xlt.96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L v6
Transmission
Automatic
Hey all! Thanks for all the help! I loosen and re-torqued the bolts on the intake and it started right up. I'm still dealing with the original issue, but that's the subject for a new thread.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals