• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Diagnostic codes

coolbrze

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Truck has been shaking/sputtering when under accelleration & the check engine light came on. I pulled the codes on the truck below in my sig & got:

P0171 - System to lean Bank 1

P0301 - Cylinder 1 misfire detected

What does this mean in English?

mentalbreakdown00

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok it means the computer has detected a missfire on cylinder one and that the oxygen sesor on that bank thinks it's running to lean. Now I would check for a vacuum leak, check the plugs, make sure you have good spark, and let us know whats going on.

coolbrze

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok it means the computer has detected a missfire on cylinder one and that the oxygen sesor on that bank thinks it's running to lean. Now I would check for a vacuum leak, check the plugs, make sure you have good spark, and let us know whats going on.
Is there any thing in specific that I should look at to see if there's a leak? I checked the PCV and other hoses and didn't see any dry rotting or cracked hoses. I pulled the plugs & cleaned them, but the problem persists. How do I check for good spark or should I just replace the plugs?

BTW - which is cylinder 1, it's an inline 4?

Last edited:

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
it will be the cylinder closest to the front of the truck. check the resistance of the spark pulg wire on cyl 1 to the other 3 cyl using a volt meter. you may have a bad wire or one that has built up a high resistance over time.

naford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Pull the spark plug and see what it looks like.

coolbrze

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
it will be the cylinder closest to the front of the truck. check the resistance of the spark pulg wire on cyl 1 to the other 3 cyl using a volt meter. you may have a bad wire or one that has built up a high resistance over time.
Is the correct way to do this by grounding 1 volt meter tester to the engine block, then touching the other to the spark plug wires, 1 at a time?

coolbrze

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
They all showed about the same reading, any other ideas? May just have to take it to the dealership... :(

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals