• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Detroit-area Junkyard Rangers - extremely pic-heavy

kishy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger, RCLB
Engine Size
95 2.3 EFI Swap
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Call me crazy or wierd, but out of everything you posted, I want that fuel door. I am still trying to understand that one variance on these first gen Rangers. Nearly every Ranger had a raised bump to hook with a finger and open the fuel door. At some point on the first gens they did not have it and it was flat like what is seen here. My 84 was of the flat variety, both the 86 and 85 I've had since were of the "hooked" variety. For some reason that is one of the things that has stood out to me as unique on the 84 and I'd like to carry over to the current 85 build. Problem is that I need two of those doors (dual tank Ranger) to pull it off and I haven't been able to find any.
I'm impressed you fought your way through quoting that one image.

I hate to throw a wrench in things, but I'm almost positive the pictured truck is actually an 88. I believe that's the one I took the fuel sending unit from to do my EFI engine swap, and I distinctly remember that I took that part from an 88, in that yard, which was facing that direction.

Of course, there's no way to be sure it had its original bed or fuel door. My 85 has the bump. And now looking at that photo closer, the intake tube has me thinking it might be older.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Quoting that was super easy, barely an inconvenience.

Yeah that is why I'm having trouble figuring out that one little difference. My 84 had it and it was original to the truck, since dad bought it in 87 or 88. I've only ever seen it on a few first gens, but I couldn't get a year off most of them and wouldn't know the history if I did.

I can't say anything about the intake of that red truck, but it's a 2.3L EFI, and 86 or newer according to the instrument cluster.

Just one of those little differences most wouldn't notice, but I do. It bugs me a little that I can't find it documented, or figure out a reason for it. Was it a trim thing? I doubt it, mine was a base model and I don't know about the othes. Was it a year thing? That wouldn't explain the separation in years of the examples I've seen. Was it a plant of origin thing? I don't remember where mine was built, but if that were the case, I'd expect to see a lot more of them.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
I'm betting that ones without the finger bump have the Power Gas Door Release option.

Seriously, I don't know when the bump was added. My '84 doesn't have one, and its build date was 09/83.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
My service bed came out of a Detroit area (Sterling Heights) junkyard circus 2017. Drove up from Columbus, Ohio to pull it myself and drag it back home.

FB_IMG_1580937975776.jpg
FB_IMG_1580937298603.jpg

kishy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger, RCLB
Engine Size
95 2.3 EFI Swap
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
That's a sweet little service body. Not a huge fan of that yard but every once in a rare while they get something neat.

Alright, you folks win.

Quite imperfect, but neat regardless. I went back on Sunday for that and the toolbox in the bed, but the toolbox was gone. I have a half-baked plan to chop up a toolbox so it will work inside my cap, and in order for this plan to work it needs to be the style that is hinged on the front. I also want it to be quite shallow so the full bed length is available below it.

While there I grabbed a couple things to try to up-option my work van, which is a '21 Transit Connect. Obviously not doing anything invasive to my employer's vehicle, but little things like the visors with vanity mirrors (running into a meeting with crazy hair is the motivator here) and the dome light with optional map lights. I'll be talking to our fleet people about FORscan and possibly trying to enable cruise, since I grabbed the wheel with the buttons. That is probably crossing a line they won't like, but you never know, and the wheel was 9 bucks so I'm not concerned if they say no.

This was in the parking lot:

Since the wagon gets some love here, I'll mention that on Saturday I drove 2.5 hrs each way to go visit a station wagon being parted out as a derby car. I scored some things I need to make mine a little better. Mostly interior plastics, and one extremely rare out of production weatherstrip.

I'll keep this primarily RBV-related but will drop the occasional other vehicle of note, if there are no objections.

kishy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger, RCLB
Engine Size
95 2.3 EFI Swap
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The local junkyards have been pretty short on vehicles of interest to me since May, and since in May I didn't find any Rangers, I didn't post anything here.

Since then, I bought a Plymouth Acclaim (perhaps an odd choice, but I have my reasons), and have been on the hunt for a grille for it. Ryan's Pick-a-Part in Detroit got an Acclaim, so I headed over. I found a couple neat 80s Chryslers and an F-150 7700 (the high-GVW variant) powered by CNG. I also found a Bronco II.

All photos of the day at this link, or here are select angles of the BII, in all its truck-bed-lined beauty:

It's remarkably unrusty underneath. Bedliner aside, this was solid enough to deserve a better fate.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ah yes, the old days when you pushed the end of the turn signal stalk to make the horn blow. That was not one of their "better ideas".

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals