• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Detail the Engine Bay

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Just thought I would share this with you...

Those tried and true ways of cleaning the engine bay may not be as good for newer cars and trucks. Folks once drove to the parts store, buy a couple cans of degreaser, and spray clean the engine. Maybe that's a great start, especially if there is a lot of gunk. Some also go to the the do-it-yourself car wash where there's a setting just for cleaning the engine.

I don't really recommend doing either to today's modern counterparts which have so many more sensors and electronic connections. Also. spraying cold water on a hot engine poses can be hard on gaskets and seals.

I use rubbing alcohol instead. washing with a rag, sometimes paper towels, a couple different size paint brushes, or Q-tips. Rubbing alcohol is less likely to affect electrical parts, but there is also water in it. Pure alcohol is even better for certain places. Just make sure to allow time for evaporation before restarting.

I work in the sunlight and look at the motor from every possible angle. When all is clean, I use Meguiar's tire black to put a shine on everything. Maybe it will even moisten some of the rubber bits. Mequiar's lasts longer than Armor All.

Cleaning the bay takes about an hour.

Last of all, look up at the hood liner. Mine is filthy. I'm going to the boneyard next and pick up another. By the way, Ford uses a fiber which should not be washed with alcohol. I'm still not sure exactly how to clean it. Maybe remove it and spray with fabric dye or even bedliner, keeping in mind that too much could be a fire hazard.

Rubbing alcohol is also good for removing stubborn stains from upholstery. It also cleans glass and mirrors without leaving water marks.

My thoughts anyway. How about you? How do you get yours ship shape?

Attachments

Last edited:

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I do it a little differently. I gut the engine bay and start from scratch.
new carb.JPG

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Sweet! So many newer engines are nowhere near as pretty. And, yes, it's nicely detailed too.

Last edited:

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Sweet! So many gen II engines are nowhere near as pretty as this. You can actually see the engine! And, yes, it's nicely detailed too.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Deleted. No idea why I posted what I did...

Last edited:

Patriot1

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Just thought I would share this with you...

Those tried and true ways of cleaning the engine bay may not be as good for newer cars and trucks. Folks once drove to the parts store, buy a couple cans of degreaser, and spray clean the engine. Maybe that's a great start, especially if there is a lot of gunk. Some also go to the the do-it-yourself car wash where there's a setting just for cleaning the engine.

I don't really recommend doing either to today's modern counterparts which have so many more sensors and electronic connections. Also. spraying cold water on a hot engine poses can be hard on gaskets and seals.

I use rubbing alcohol instead. washing with a rag, sometimes paper towels, a couple different size paint brushes, or Q-tips. Rubbing alcohol is less likely to affect electrical parts, but there is also water in it. Pure alcohol is even better for certain places. Just make sure to allow time for evaporation before restarting.

I work in the sunlight and look at the motor from every possible angle. When all is clean, I use Meguiar's tire black to put a shine on everything. Maybe it will even moisten some of the rubber bits. Mequiar's lasts longer than Armor All.

Cleaning the bay takes about an hour.

Last of all, look up at the hood liner. Mine is filthy. I'm going to the boneyard next and pick up another. By the way, Ford uses a fiber which should not be washed with alcohol. I'm still not sure exactly how to clean it. Maybe remove it and spray with fabric dye or even bedliner, keeping in mind that too much could be a fire hazard.

Rubbing alcohol is also good for removing stubborn stains from upholstery. It also cleans glass and mirrors without leaving water marks.

My thoughts anyway. How about you? How do you get yours ship shape?
Do the push pins that hold the insulated hood liner come out easily when removing the insulated hood liner? I am thinking about removing my hood liner to further clean the hood area. Did you have to buy new push pins to reinstall the insulation? Thoughts appreciated,
Thanks!

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Just the outside gets a rinse once in awhile...when it rains.

Actually I blow it off with the air compressor sometimes if I gotta crack it open.

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
Do the push pins that hold the insulated hood liner come out easily when removing the insulated hood liner? I am thinking about removing my hood liner to further clean the hood area. Did you have to buy new push pins to reinstall the insulation? Thoughts appreciated,
Thanks!
They do come out easily, but use care. A flat blade screwdriver will work but a trim tool is better. They are replaceable and you can buy new ones from pretty much any auto store.

1667745284141.png

Patriot1

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks!
You can use those trim tools but if you try to pry those "pins" off, you run the risk of breaking the hood liner. I know. I've tried. I've even used a piece of cardboard to protect it. i still got damage.

So I made my own little tool which looks a lot like a garrote, a 12 in length of heavy string with a short handle on either end. Wind the string around the shaft of the plastic "pin" ...and give it a good, hard pull.

You need not replace those old pins by doing it this way. You can use them again

The original hood liner is no longer available. Aftermarket replacements are expensive. The originals can't be duplicated very well. It's hard to find a decent one in the junkyard. They seem to get brittle with age. You might notice that it is sculpted to fit. This attachment shows my "new" old headliner pulled at the junkyard, cleaned with baking soda and painted with a flat black high temp engine enamel in a spray can. It's a little dusty right now, but otherwise looks rather new, none the worse for wear.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals