• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Desktop Publishing Type Job (Starting A Business)

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Does anyone here have any experience in starting a small personally owned business?

I would like to do some small desktop publishing type business around where I live giving clients a custom type document without having to go through a large business in another town or state.

Right now I work at a local Cafe, and have done a few menus for them, along with some other small detailed work. I like to design documents and enjoy doing so, I'm just not sure how to go about getting the business from other small businesses around town.

Gilbee01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Koodos on wanting to start a biz but u will be honest with you the publishing/ graphic design market is pretty much a dead end. Most places use either online cookie cutter pages or use the online cheap downloads and do it themselves . Having been in the biz for a number of years sucked. Yeah money was good for the freelance but too sparse to make s living. Your best bet us word of mouth. Meaning take the time to go to the small places and show off your talents . Yes it's time consuming but effective. Also create a professional work portfolio and always have it on you. I hope this helps and if you have questions just ask.
I have a BA in media arts and animation and now working on my. BA in IT with focus in security/ cryptology

-gil-

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Thanks Gil, I'm just trying to do something on the side as I never really know how many hours I will get from my daily job, so just trying to supplement. I was thinking about doing a small bit of desktop publishing samples for a portfolio just as a here's what I can do type thing, along with customization if needed.

Not trying to use it as my full time job although working from home would be very nice, just not able to do so.

Merrill

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Was self employed in Washington state for 11 years. A sole proprietership is easy and cheap to set up and probably all you will need for that type of business. An LLC
(limited liability company) is better for business where your personal liability should be seperate from your business liability. Your local Labor and Industries office can tell you exactly what type of liscense and insurace you might need.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Yeah I will definitely look into the laws, and insurance aspects before I do anything. Just trying to find something that I can do from home, and eventually work into a full time job. I've looked at a few different so called work from home type things and they have turned out to be scams. Haven't found anything that's actually true on any of these work from home deals, so I'm trying to think of ideas on my own.

Gilbee01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I don't think it cost much to start an LLC. But I am in Colorado all states are different . But what I did to get small jobs was to look at freelance sites. Yes you do get some real winners there but it's great padding for your portfolio and get letters of recommendation from your happy customers. Even a Wordpress page wouldn't hurt.

-gil-

Gilbee01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Wait you work in a coffee shop right. That's a great place to start networking. Design some mock menus and layouts. Also people love customer one of a kind logos.. Happy networking.

-gil-

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Thanks Gil, Yes I work at a local coffee shop/BBQ Restaurant. I did some of the menus for them, and my boss is looking at paying me to do all of their desktop publishing stuff because the lady he has doing it takes forever, I mean like a month to get him 25 hand out menus that's pathetic, I mean this wasn't the first time for those menus so she should have already had the document on her computer to pull up change a couple prices and hit the print button, or ok that's what I would do.

Anyhow I'm trying to get a few things worked up for a portfolio and I really appreciate your insight.

I also love doing photography so I'm looking at doing a bit of a combination of the 2. I already have 4 high school seniors that I will be doing their senior pictures for them.

I'm not trying to get rich, just get me a bit of extra money to spend on the Bronco 2 project, along with helping people out that don't have a fortune to spend on photos, and documents.

Thanks again for your insight and guidance.

Gilbee01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Look into VA forms ( visual arts). These forms will allow you to copyright all your photos and created visual print work. Last thing you need us someone stealing your work. I know been there .. Also if you already don't have it get a release to use the senior pics in your professional portfolio. Don't want to get sued for unauthorized use. Also look into making your business a non profit for tax and grants to get off and running.

-gil-

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Look into VA forms ( visual arts). These forms will allow you to copyright all your photos and created visual print work. Last thing you need us someone stealing your work. I know been there .. Also if you already don't have it get a release to use the senior pics in your professional portfolio. Don't want to get sued for unauthorized use. Also look into making your business a non profit for tax and grants to get off and running.

-gil-
Will do, thanks. Just trying to get things situated right now. I'm actually leaning more towards the photography side of this now, seems more open doors for me this way, than sitting at a computer making up forms LOL. I've done a few shoots already and the customer had absolutely no problems letting me use a couple of their pics. Here's one that I've got in my portfolio already. Couldn't resist the dog.

I've done several other shoots for this customer over the years including rodeo queen pics. Plus a few football pics for the girl's brother as well.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals