• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Describe heart burn to me

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
At night, after 4 or so hours of sleep, I occasionally wake up with stomach cramps. It’s similar to the feeling you get when you haven’t eaten in a long time, and your stomach hurts. It’s like my stomach (the actual organ) is having cramps. I have to get up and move around to get it to stop. Eating a cracker helps. It seems that pasta and sugary foods as a last meal increase the chances of getting it. Is that heart burn?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Doesn't sound like heart burn to me.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Heart burn for me is like like a slight burning sensation dead center of the chest up to the base of the neck.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
It's usually up high in my neck in my case, like the top of my throat plus a few inches down past that. Usually a mild burning/hot sensation that can come and go.

Fortunately I don't get it very often. I discovered that combining chili and red wine will trigger it quick and multiple days of that will be real bad.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Heart burn for me is like like a slight burning sensation dead center of the chest up to the base of the neck.
yes, this.

@Chapap your symptoms are more than likely indigestion. I have that from time to time eating the same foods you describe, and usually carpet bombing a toilet brings relief.

AJ

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
Tire Size
225-70-R14
yes, this.

@Chapap your symptoms are more than likely indigestion. I have that from time to time eating the same foods you describe, and usually carpet bombing a toilet brings relief.

AJ
oh ya. I don’t know if the two are related, cause I can get one or both… but I get bad acid reflux around the same time. I’m assuming that’s when stomach acid comes up and it burns your throat and mouth. I’m very susceptible to that since my throat surgery. My vocal cords are weak and have trouble sealing the stomach pipe.

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
but I get bad acid reflux around the same time. I’m assuming that’s when stomach acid comes up and it burns your throat and mouth. I’m very susceptible to that since my throat surgery. My vocal cords are weak and have trouble sealing the stomach pipe.
That is GERD, Gastro Esophegial Reflux Disorder. Watch out for that one, if an attack of that takes place while you are sleeping the acid can be drawn up to & go down your airway into your lungs. The after effects can be drastic, it'll wake you suddenly, you spend the next 45mins or so trying to cough up the acidic phlegm in your lungs, drinking milk helps relieve it.

personal experience

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
Tire Size
225-70-R14
That is GERD, Gastro Esophegial Reflux Disorder. Watch out for that one, if an attack of that takes place while you are sleeping the acid can be drawn up to & go down your airway into your lungs. The after effects can be drastic, it'll wake you suddenly, you spend the next 45mins or so trying to cough up the acidic phlegm in your lungs, drinking milk helps relieve it.

personal experience
Exactly what happens. Now I have a name for it.

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
Same situation, the muscle at the bottom of my esophagus doesn't close & stay closed, I suffer from GERD on a daily basis.

Because of the Covid climate no surgery has & will be scheduled until a later date. ....yahoo, whoopee

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Take some 2x4's and raise the head end of your bed by 4-6". That helps keep the fluids where they belong.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
that sounds more like acid reflux

a bad incident of reflux is absolutely miserable.
at the worst it can get into the air ways, sinus' and ear canals. also makes your teeth burn.
there is nothing to stop it. swallowing antacids only affects the normal intake channel.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I suffer from acid reflux/heartburn. Historically it’s been entirely unrelated to any particular food and typically only when I’m way, way, way over stressed. I have the head of my bed propped up and a pile of pillows which is usually pretty effective. Working on different things to try and manage my stress better.

That all said… because of a bad tooth that took MONTHS to get pulled and some gastric upset from my concussions, plus physical pain from being in the accidents and eating 800mg of Ibuprofen every 8 hours for months plus other meds for everything, even an elevated bed and pile of pillows was not enough to control it and it was BAD. Like wake up during the night despite a sleeping pill feeling like you were dying bad. Fortunately that started really getting bad around the point the tooth finally came out and I was able to cut back and change a lot of the meds and my doctor put me on a stomach pill that is working wonders. I’m hoping at some point I can do away with it, but I’ll give everything time to settle before finding out if it’s a temporary thing or a forever thing.

dirtymike

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger lwb
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1 inch spacers
Tire Size
P23575R15
My credo
Do unto others then Split-probasti me et chognuisti me
If you have GERD, food stops 3 hours before bedtime. Lived with it for years. Diet is the strong key here. Breads are not your friend.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
Tire Size
225-70-R14
Oh no. Stomach ulcer seems to fit many of my symptoms. I guess it’s time to see the doc.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
At night, after 4 or so hours of sleep, I occasionally wake up with stomach cramps. It’s similar to the feeling you get when you haven’t eaten in a long time, and your stomach hurts. It’s like my stomach (the actual organ) is having cramps. I have to get up and move around to get it to stop. Eating a cracker helps. It seems that pasta and sugary foods as a last meal increase the chances of getting it. Is that heart burn?
There's certain stuff thats really bad to eat at night. Tomato is especially one of them, hence the pasta messing with you. Yea Pasta is probably the worst thing you can have before bed. There's a lot of info on the web about what to eat at night. Probably the best thing would be a banana or yogurt. PB&J or cereal is god too. Avoid fruits, nuts, and meat if you're going to bed within the next couple hours.

Tums also helps, as does "herbal" medicine. I got strong lungs but a weak gut lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals