• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Deranged The rebuild begins, at Texas Diesel Power!

Dalpilot

2010 STOTY Winner
MTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Well unfortunately, due to "Unforeseen Circumstances" beyond my control, the Ranger motor is in need of being torn down to bare block and rebuilt. I started this thing nearly 3 years ago, with the intention of it being ready for TS.....I just didn't know I was gonna miss that deadline twice. Had the floods not happened, we still would have only drug it there to find out we couldn't run it. Well, we still have a chance to make TS 10, and were gonna try like hell to do just that.

The engie is tore down to a long block and is still sitting in the truck. I get home Thursday and plan to pull the heads off of it, and pull it out of the truck. The original engine builder, CHS racing, simply doesn't have time to build it again. Dave builds nothing but high performance engines, and did me a favor building it in the first place. Unlike some people that I TRUSTED, I know I do not have the ability to build the bottom end to where it needs to be. Fortunately, I have a Buddy that does. Early next week, the engine will be going to John Robinsons shop in Weathorford Texas. Yeah, John, "Sugar Tits" Robinson of the Power services funny car "FAME". I made a call to John, and asked if he was interested, and he told me "Hell yeah, lets do it".

FOr those that aren't familiar, John has a guy that works for him, Mark Conyers. Mark has been around a while. He spent 7 years on the crew of Jim Heads Top Fuel funny car team. He has worked for both Pedregon teams, John Force racing, as well as a few others. He was a Machinist for Rodeck blocks, and to say the least, knows his chit. Mark is gonna be building the motor. At this point, I have no idea what the extent of the damage to the motor is, but I know its a full rebuild. I have helped John on his Funny car team a time or two, and I am very excited about giving my business to John and Texas Diesel Power, and I have the utmost confidence in the finished product, given Marks credentials.

The Bottom end is in TDP hands, and some other changes are in store. Borg/Warner was told of what happened. They didn't flinch for a half a second. I called looking for a rebuild kit for the turbo's. They refused to send out a rebuild kit, and told me two NEW turbo's were on the way. Since our original project was aiming for 700-800 HP, they sized them for that goal. Since our goal has changed to over 1000 Hp, they even went so far as to send me BIGGER turbo's.

Back from day one, Ryan Casserly was the injector guy. Ryan called me after seeing our first runs, and said he wasn't happy, and he wanted to go bigger, so the injectors are in a box and will be going to Ryan this week to be built, well in Ryans words, "HUGE". They would have to be gone trhough anyway with all the metal in the oil.

The HPOP we put in it from Bob at Dieselsite is most likely destroyed given the metal in the oil. Bob called me as soon as he heard what happened, and told me to send the pump back, and he has a new pump on the way.

The oil filter kit that was on it.....*****Cough***** is sitting in a box and will not be going back on it. Josh at River city Diesel offered his kit, that uses a full flow filter and a bypass filter after that.******COUGH***** they way the original filter SHOULD have been setup. :rules:

Thinking and doing research on filling the bottom end of the block and running coolant through the heads. Not 100% sure on that yet.

There is an oil cooler relocation kit that debuted at the Diesel Power Challenge from Bodacios diesel. We are talking about running that. They saw on average a drop in oil temperature of about 50*. If were gonna fill the block, that is probably gonna be a great way to go, and even if we don't, the stock oil cooler on these motors have had problems.

Thats the plan so far. I know most of you are probably saying, "Damn I am tired of hearing about this POS" LOL Sorry, but your gonna have to hear about it a little longer. :bang:kick: Thanks for everything each of you have done, and while I have said it before, I will say it again. I literally could not have done this without the group of guys I have met on the forums.

TOPDOG2007

August 2010 STOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I didnt spend the last year following your thread for nothing!! I want to see the truck run like hell! I hope you have it up and running ASAP..If I were closer to Texas I would offer any help I could.

fordmike1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 & 1983
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry to have seen that happen and I hope turns out good on this for you.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
thats racing bud....:dunno:

i sure am glad ((and stand with huge admiration)) that you have the wherewithal and mental capacity to stick this out... and huge respect for the hi-po community involved with this epic endeavor being so supportive.

even in horrendous heartbreak fail.... this project is OUTSTANDING...

keep your head up bro..:icon_thumby:

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
I just saw the picktures of what happened. Looks like alot of soot from blow by and it carboned up your oil and internals. Where did the copper come from?

Dalpilot

2010 STOTY Winner
MTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The black product is the filter where it blew apart. The copper is from the bearings. Tearing it down Monday and building it back Tuesday.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
I just saw the picktures of what happened. Looks like alot of soot from blow by and it carboned up your oil and internals. Where did the copper come from?
i usually see that with cummins guys. its sad fuggin retards cant change the oil for 10 k, yet laugh about smokin out ricers.....

then when i say..(after i explained the failure)... whos the ricer now????

things get quiet.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
did you really ask where did the copper come from????

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals