• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Depression....

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15

Do you struggle with depression? I know some do. Most of us come to this forum to get help with our truck, or to share our truck related experiences. But if you're feeling depressed, you may feel alone dealing with this personal and private issue. The truth is, you're not alone. I've seen the topic brought up in the forum. I've even been asked if we could have a mental health forum, but the staff and I felt that a 'Health & Fitness' forum would better serve the members. Then yesterday I seen another Ford Ranger friend post about his own situation on Instagram, and decided it was time to openly address it.

The holidays are approaching, and they can be depressing times for many people, for many reasons. You may not feel like you have anyone to talk to, that nobody will understand, that people will see it as a weakness, or simply judge you in a negative way.

We are a community. A family. Some of us have been there. Some of us still struggle. And because we're a community / family, we should be here to support each other.

I struggled in the past with major depression caused by events that were happening in my life. It's not something I like to discuss. With that said, I don't take any type of anti-depressants or other medications. I did for a while back in 2005, and I remember my family doctor telling me that he's never had to prescribe anti-depressants to an asshole, because they simply don't care. I knew that the way to deal with it, was to change the way I looked at it. That along with my faith in God has gotten me through the last 14+ years.

That's not to say that I don't sometimes feel down. When I start having those feelings, I try to find positive things to focus on, or a project to get excited about. Keeping focused on something else keeps me from dwelling on the bad things that need to be left in the past.

This may be a surprise to some of you. Especially if you've met me, and have seen how goofy and outgoing I can be. That's usually how I am. TRS and Ford Rangers have always given me something to look forward to, get excited about, and something to focus on.

So that's a little bit of my story. Even though I didn't share a lot, it's still uncomfortable for me to share the little that I did. You may have your own story or situation, but you just don't feel comfortable sharing. I can assure you that I understand how you feel. Hell, I've worried that people will look at me differently, or think I'm 'unstable'. Maybe Ford wouldn't have loaned me the 2019 Ford Ranger if they had known. I don't know.

If you have your own story, please feel free to share it.

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...

Do you struggle with depression? I know some do. Most of us come to this forum to get help with our truck, or to share our truck related experiences. But if you're feeling depressed, you may feel alone dealing with this personal and private issue. The truth is, you're not alone. I've seen the topic brought up in the forum. I've even been asked if we could have a mental health forum, but the staff and I felt that a 'Health & Fitness' forum would better serve the members. Then yesterday I seen another Ford Ranger friend post about his own situation on Instagram, and decided it was time to openly address it.

The holidays are approaching, and they can be depressing times for many people, for many reasons. You may not feel like you have anyone to talk to, that nobody will understand, that people will see it as a weakness, or simply judge you in a negative way.

We are a community. A family. Some of us have been there. Some of us still struggle. And because we're a community / family, we should be here to support each other.

I struggled in the past with major depression caused by events that were happening in my life. It's not something I like to discuss. Mine was caused by a government agency, and that agency has made me relive those events every year, which caused me to get diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) in 2016.

With that said, I don't take any type of anti-depressants or other medications. I did for a while back in 2005, and I remember my family doctor telling me that he's never had to prescribe anti-depressants to an asshole, because they simply don't care. I knew that the way to deal with it, was to change the way I looked at it. That along with my faith in God has gotten me through the last 14+ years.

That's not to say that I don't sometimes feel down. When I start having those feelings, I try to find positive things to focus on, or a project to get excited about. Keeping focused on something else keeps me from dwelling on the bad things that need to be left in the past.

Unfortunately, I haven't done well with relationships since 2016. I've dated a couple women that I've cared about, but I've broke up with them and walked away. It's basically self destructive behavior. And since I don't really understand why I do that, it makes me wonder if it's connected to depression / PTSD. If I'm lucky, I'll eventually find a woman that can see the good qualities in me, and not let me get away with that BS. LOL.

This may be a surprise to some of you. Especially if you've met me, and have seen how goofy and outgoing I can be. That's usually how I am. TRS and Ford Rangers have always given me something to look forward to, get excited about, and something to focus on.

So that's a little bit of my story. Even though I didn't share a lot, it's still uncomfortable for me to share the little that I did. You may have your own story or situation, but you just don't feel comfortable sharing. I can assure you that I understand how you feel. Hell, I've worried that people will look at me differently, or think I'm 'unstable'. Maybe Ford wouldn't have loaned me the 2019 Ford Ranger if they had known. I don't know.

If you have your own story, please feel free to share it.
Can i be the crazy uncle of the family?

Just kidding.

Ive had my issues too, im not one to open up but i generally just struggle in silence. I wont go into detail but i struggled with some addictions to, lets say, behind the counter at the gas station liquids, but its been 12 years now or so and i can even drink a lil here and there without issue.

It broke up 3 past relationships, not so much the drinking, but the woman chasing that came with it. Some of you may remember some of my outlandish rants on the old boards...yeah...that was part of it.

Either way, like jim said, everione has issues and i do think of yall as close friends, some of ya as almost family ive never met outside of the internet.

This place really is the best forum on the web.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Thanks, Jim.

I have had issues with depression, too. To the point that I tried to quit my job years ago and contemplated flooring the accelerator and steering off the interstate into the trees on the way home. Glad I didn’t do it. My wife of 10 years has had an ongoing struggle that I tried to help her with. Probably part of the reason she wants to divorce me. It’s a tough battle.

I think I’m ok now. That’s a self-diagnosis. This winter may turn out to be a struggle. I’m now separated. My mom is the only relative living geographically close by. Other than co-workers who I rarely see outside of work, the regulars here on TRS are my closest friends. Things will turn around. I also have a relationship with God.

I’m thankful for all of you.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Thank you Jim. Truly.

I've probably rewritten this post three or four times already. Sorry if it's jumbled.

Diagnosed with PTSD two years ago. Depression as well. Long story short, work related accident where I missed being decapitated by 2-3 inches. I relive the accident at work at least once a day.

It's a feeling that I can't explain and wouldn't wish on anyone.

That, and the suicide of a kid that used to work for me sunk another big portion of me, even before the last "year / 18 months from hell" even started. I won't bore ya'll with the details, but I lost nearly everything.

The night I started my build thread was one of the worst in memory. It was so cathartic to start getting everything on "virtual" paper.

If it weren't for TRS and my 88, I'm not so sure I'd be here. That's not an exaggeration, either. This website kept me social in some ways, even when I completely withdrew from friends and family. KaP kept me motivated and learning (my happy place), and ya'll always know how to make me laugh.

So, once again, thank you. You and the family of guys here do good work, even if some of you are barely housebroken (Dirtman). ?

donaldcon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Maybe I've been lucky as Depression has never been something to really effect me.
I get into some slumps but nothing I normally cant make a couple small changes and fix.

Or so I thought,

Then I saw this simple little thing in facebook. Opened my eyes up, to the realization that I may just not realize I'm depressed.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Maybe I've been lucky as Depression has never been something to really effect me.
I get into some slumps but nothing I normally cant make a couple small changes and fix.

Or so I thought, View attachment 33332

Then I saw this simple little thing in facebook. Opened my eyes up, to the realization that I may just not realize I'm depressed.
My hot counsler lady made me realize that i wasnt just "down" when i went back in the day. Theres alot of different levels of it.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
@ericbphoto @PetroleumJunkie412

We're all in kind of the same boat. But yet, look how much fun we had at the trail ride. Good friends make a difference. :derisive:

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I've never been diagnosed with depression and I can honestly say that I haven't been depressed in years.
I had a stint with depression in my early teenage years. I had an alcoholic father. He wasn't abusive, but he wasn't there... even when he was there, he wasn't.
I also watched a close friend get hit by a truck and dragged down the highway. That was pretty much the start of the downward spiral.
I did a lot of drugs for a long time... never went as far as putting a needle in my arm, but still did enough to kill any feelings I had.

Then one day, for no apparent reason... I stopped doing drugs. I just felt it was time. I just change my attitude and look on life. I walked away from everyone and everything in my life. I started over. I met a girl, moved in with her.
We started our life. Sold her townhouse, bought a new place together. Got married. Had a kid. Now here I am...

The only regret I had was pushing away my ex GF, the one person who really loved me and tried to help me. I reconnected with her years ago. We have a great friendship, our kids are great friends now. My wife has even accepted the fact that I'm friends with my ex I dated for 5+ years... they're even friends now.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i just thought it is because i am such an assholeheaddikfacejerk...

of course...i am wrong alot..

.... i do think its normal to go through cycles of depression for a majority of people. fawkin sux and is hard to keep your head up....especially when you can barely walk.

these forums really seem to help. dont take long to realize we all have problems and need help. and working together to move issues forward...even little ones really can make a difference.

its why i remain free of facebullshit.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I think about suicide at least 3 times a week. I've literally got a gun in my mouth most days when I fall asleep. I'm an alcoholic, live alone, will never do better.... yea gun seems happy in my mouth.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I think about suicide at least 3 times a week. I've literally got a gun in my mouth most days when I fall asleep. I'm an alcoholic, live alone, will never do better.... yea gun seems happy in my mouth.
Wanna be roomates?

...not kidding..

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I was almost married. Almost had a kid. She got an abortion against my wishes because she didnt want to be with me in any way. How bad must you be that a woman gets an abortion because she doesn't want the kid to be associated with me?

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I wonder how much nyquil I can drink before I stop being here.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Don't do that. I need you here. You make people laugh. You brighten our days. Don't judge yourself against a woman who gave up.

A few hours ago I was wondering where you were. Didn't see many postings from you today. Or maybe I was in the wrong threads. We're all friends. We're all imperfect. We have each other. You have friends and family that depend on you and care about you. You've told us about them and about the things you do to help family. Hang in there.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals