• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Demand for aftermarket feedback carburetor "PCM"?

ExploreNW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
Tire Size
235/75/15
I was walking through the junkyard last weekend and noticed there are plenty of clean RBVs with feedback carbs. Clean as in no accidents, visually nothing wrong with these trucks at all.

Got me thinking... I bet you the feedback carb system got them a spot in the scrapyard. These early systems had limited diagnostic abilities and next to zero tunability. It's one of those weird relics of the '80s, half-TBI, half-carb. Exactly the thing I like to mess with out in the shop.

I want to make a direct-swap tuneable computer for you guys that have these trucks, seeing as how there isn't one. Make it a package - computer, connectors, wiring perhaps? Just a Plug-N-Go? No, I won't be getting rich, they would be a limited run and I know no one really wants to spend more than a Megasquirt conversion on their old trucks. I also have a lot of experience in software engineering (backup career) and think this would be fun for me.

Now, before I go get one of these BIIs and start screwing with it, does anyone on TRS still have the feedback system on their trucks in somewhat of a stock form and would you guys be interested in a factory-looking tuneable carb "PCM" with useful diag info?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It would have to be stupid cheap.

What I would do if I had to deal with emissions testing:

Or

Event then legality will vary. Swapping in a later engine (like 2.8->4.0) is generally legal.

What I did do (and what most people do)

What most people do when they can't find anybody that knows how to fix their morphodite 35+ year old truck that they paid $200 for:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not well versed in the feedback carb computer control systems, but would propane or ethanol conversion be on the table

Not seeing a big use for gasoline, when better systems are available

ExploreNW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
Tire Size
235/75/15
It would have to be stupid cheap.
Stupid cheap is a certainty. I'm not Holley or FAST so I really don't care if the things don't make money. Arduino boards are $30ish on amazon, less in bulk. I want to build them to fit the factory harness. Some guys can build their own off freely available wiring diagrams and whatever code I come up with (good for fixing butchered systems) or they can get one made ready to go from me.

As for emissions - compatibility is a part of the goal, often it's the whole reason guys keep their feedback systems to begin with. I've never lived in a state that has had visual emissions inspections, only 96+ OBD-II testing and '75-'96 exhaust gas sniffer testing. For visuals I imagine I could accept a small amount of cores per month to swap my electronics into. I want the system to be able to pass federal emissions regardless.

Would be cool to have something that works on an early OBD-II protocol but USB is the devil I know and it'll be first.

but would propane or ethanol conversion be on the table
Absolutely. Propane is a build goal for my Ranger so at the very least I'll be doing something custom on TRS there. In a year or two I'll have a 500-gal nursing tank on my property and I'll convert everything over at that point. Never thought about ethanol, it's nearly $4/gal at the one station in town that carries it, but if that changes I'd be open to it.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I don't think these setups would be used as high mile daily drivers, more around town and local use

You can get a free Federal permit to make alcohol fuel, some states don't allow it though, but I think you still need to mix it with gasoline, as 100% alcohol fuel can be prohibited, so E85

The later model flex fuels just allowed for wider parameters for O2 sensor feedback so fuel sensors were not needed
Not sure feedback carb can do that, Jets are not as flexible as injectors

ExploreNW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
Tire Size
235/75/15
That's awesome, I never knew you could. Do you have a rig and a cheap/free source of things to make ethanol out of?

And if yes, could/have you shared the plans?

As for a feedback carb. In low elevations to lean it out on regular gas I could use the altitude aneroid. Then when the O2 reads lean due to ethanol I can shut the aneroid. Just theory. There are also vac solenoids governing fuel into the accelerator enrichment circuit as well.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals