• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dell laptop battery and general battery confusion

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
ive never seen a jump box that didnt come with its own charger :icon_confused:

12 volt batteries run close to 14 volts when fully charged. going from 10 volts to 14 worries me or else id just use a 12 volt deep cycle.

rboyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.hoe
Transmission
Manual
A car charger as in a laptop car charger. The kind you plug into the cigarette lighter of your car. You could get one for next to nothing on ebay.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
oh, you mean a power inverter :icon_thumby:

i dont recall ever having seen a laptop power supply that converts 12 volts to the 20 volts this computer needs to run on a/c (admittedly i havnt really looked).

that setup is considerably less efficient than running a battery directly through the laptop (energy has to be converted from 12 volt to 110 volt, then from 110 to 20, then from 20 to 10...not very effecient). not to mention the extra wiring and adaptors required. if the laptop would be happy with 8 volts it would go 8 volts-laptop. nice and clean and efficient.

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
yep, theres the 65 watt-hour lithium ion upgrade. and HERE (<---click) is the 43 watt-hour Ni-HM battery i have.

strangly, 1.2 volts per cell...not 3.6 like lithium-ion.

sanyo part number corresponding to the part number for the Ni-HM cell on sanyos website.

im REALLY anxious to hear you admit your wrong bob :icon_cheers:
I was wrong Sludge!! I've never had a problem admitting I was wrong!

A word of advice, stay away from your home built batteries, and buy the incereased capacity Lithion Ion!

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
oh, you mean a power inverter :icon_thumby:

i dont recall ever having seen a laptop power supply that converts 12 volts to the 20 volts this computer needs to run on a/c (admittedly i havnt really looked).

that setup is considerably less efficient than running a battery directly through the laptop (energy has to be converted from 12 volt to 110 volt, then from 110 to 20, then from 20 to 10...not very effecient). not to mention the extra wiring and adaptors required. if the laptop would be happy with 8 volts it would go 8 volts-laptop. nice and clean and efficient.
DC to DC converters are used extensively. Here is one I have for my T61,
the DC input can be 10.5V to 18V, the output voltage is 20V:

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:item.detail?GroupID=38&Code=41N8460&current-category-id=ABC53FF217444A0882AF979DB2483CE2

The circuit that is used is called a synchronous buck DC to DC converter, and is very efficient (>95%). This same circuit is used to convert either 5V or 12V to low voltage, high current supplies (like 1V @ 200AMPS) for the newer CMOS chip technologies in production (90nM and 45nM).

rboyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.hoe
Transmission
Manual
Hence my reason for saying "laptop car charger". A power inverter is a totally different ballgame and I don't think I would ever recommend using a power inverter to power up an AC laptop adapter. I have seen some of the cheap square-wave inverters do some funky things to laptops before.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
ive run the laptop off my power inverter before...didnt seem to hurt anything. heck i ran my desktop off of it once too :D

i think ill stick with my home-built batteries bob. the lithium ion would be nice, but i can build two 43 watt-hour packs for 66% of the cost of the 65 watt-hour lithium pack and i get 32% more capacity...a much better deal in my eyes.

that converter is interesting though...albiet a little spendy. it would be a little more convienient for road trips not to have to lug around all the extra wires and inverter itself.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
huh....of ALLL the compatable models they list, they dont list the inspiron 1200 :icon_confused: im sure i could adapt it though. especially for that price.

rboyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.hoe
Transmission
Manual

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
ha, NOW your speaking my language! that would really clean up the wires in the car/truck considerably...and only $22! thanks rboyer.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals