• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Delayed Ignition Statup

Braindead

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 85, 94, 97
Make / Model
Rangers
Engine Size
8"electric, 2.3, 4.0-OHV, 4.0-OHV
My credo
They say it can't be done, so I did it. Again
I have had many vehicles that have bad rattles when cold starting and I sometimes would turn the key and shut down before the engine fires. I would attempt this couple times before letting it start running. I found this to be inconsistent because sometimes it would start before I could catch it and then the rattling may or may not occur or just not be as bad.
Recently I started testing a bunch of electronic timers for consistency of operation. The timers I have are from elevator systems and seem to be very accurate even though the battery is below the rated voltage requirements of the timers (24 -240volts AC/DC). The timers have settings from 1 second up to 1024 seconds in one second intervals. As I am unsure as to their durability under load or what the duty cycle is I was thinking about using a solenoid similar to a Ford starter solenoid except designed for constant use to trigger the ignition after the timer fires so the engine will spin for two, three, or even four seconds before the ignition receives power to pre lube the top end.
Has anyone here tried anything similar?
Will this have any negative effects on the computer?
Where would I interrupt the power on my coil pack engines?
I am planning to use the timers on several vehicles if it works.
I am expecting the timers will allow the engines to last much longer than without them.
Ranger 86 Flattie.jpg

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
Starting RPM should be around 300, idle probably 600-800. I'm not sure you'd really accomplishing that much. Plus the oil pump is moving more oil at the higher RPM. I think the better option would be to run a quality oil and keep it changed at the proper intervals. If the engine is rattling at startup, there's more than likely an underlying to be fixed.

If I were going to do something like this, I'd be more inclined to install a momentary switch to kill the ignition while cranking. That way I wouldn't have long cranks every time I turned the key. So if the engine has only been shut down for a short period, it would crank right up.

Just my thoughts. I see your point, I'm just not sure it would really do all that much for longevity.

Something like this could be used to pre-charge the oil pressure prior to cranking.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-23900?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-moroso&gclid=CjwKCAjw5pPnBRBJEiwAULZKvqZ2ceVw5fHKUGOSW-eJdFJfhEKghTjlzBqNTCDy4slEyM6Zc795rhoCAnsQAvD_BwE

As long as you close the valve before shutting down the engine, the system would hold pressure. You'd open the valve right before cranking and leave it open while running it would build to the same oil pressure that the engine is running at. You can even use solenoids to open and close the valve with the ignition.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
To delay start up on any fuel injected engine... hold the throttle pedal to the floor. That will shut down the fuel injection... it's called clear flood mode.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Ummm if your goal is to just prime the engine before starting wouldnt it be a hell of alot easier to just add a kill switch to the fuel pump relay instead of adding elevator timers? :icon_confused:

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
To delay start up on any fuel injected engine... hold the throttle pedal to the floor. That will shut down the fuel injection... it's called clear flood mode.
There is no clear flood mode on pre obd2 rangers.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There is no clear flood mode on pre obd2 rangers.
That does work on carbed trucks. Gets a lot more air into the system to help with a flooded engine.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Hmmm.... I thought that every EFI system had clear flood mode.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals