• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

defrost and vents trouble

88workcar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
01 truck, the selector switch does work, I can move the air from defrost to face vents to floor etc.… it will swap around. BUT... the defrost never fully closes off and fogs the windshield. Have to put the wipers on every morning just for this. What's the fix?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Why is the defrost fogging the windshield? Even if it did leak it should not do that. Sounds like your heater core has a small leak. They can have a small leak and create steam, and you won't see anything on the floorboard.

88workcar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
That is fully disconnected at this time, for the last 4 months

88workcar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
It is 90* at 5am here and 600% humidity, with the AC blowing to the windshield it condensates.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
It is 90* at 5am here and 600% humidity, with the AC blowing to the windshield it condensates.
I know that routine. Had to run a little heat this morning to get rid of condensation on the outside if the windshield.

Sounds like you have a problem with the damper actuator - sometimes called the blend door actuator.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
After the fog has cleared try this test
At idle
Select Panel or Floor
Feel if any air is coming from Defrost vent, it shouldn't
REV engine while feeling for air at Defrost vent
If you get some air flow as Vacuum drops in engine(REVing) then you have a leak in the Vent Vacuum system

This usually occurs on the vacuum line that runs from firewall to Vacuum Reservoir "ball" in engine bay
Its a black hard plastic vacuum line and it can crack or melt, near exhaust pipes

Could also be the Reservoir is cracked and leaking

The Vent doors use vacuum "motors" to hold vents in selected position, Defrost is the Default position, the No Vacuum position
The Engine is the vacuum source, vacuum is high at idle, low while accelerating(REVing)
The vacuum reservoir is used to store vacuum, like power brake booster, to hold vent doors in position regardless of engine vacuum
If there is a leak then vacuum level at the vents follow vacuum in the engine, so if vacuum in the engine drops Defrost vent gets air flow because vacuum is low

The Blend door is the temperature control door, it is electric from 1995 and up, not vacuum operated

Last edited:

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
But it still breaks. Mine is a 98, and all I get is hot air, except in the Max Air position. Breaks between the motor and the door. I've not bothered to fix it because it doesn't bother me. I drive with the windows down anyways, except in the winter, when I want hot air, especially on the windshield.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
But it still breaks. Mine is a 98, and all I get is hot air, except in the Max Air position. Breaks between the motor and the door. I've not bothered to fix it because it doesn't bother me. I drive with the windows down anyways, except in the winter, when I want hot air, especially on the windshield.
This would be a blend door issue for sure
In MAX AC the hot coolant flow is diverted around the heater core by the by-pass valve in the engine bay, it has a Grey plastic vacuum line that runs thru firewall to the selector switch

In MAX AC vacuum is applied to the by-pass valve and coolant flow thru the cabs heater core is stopped
(in MAX AC the fresh air vent is also closed and air for the fan is pulled in from the cab, under glove box)

The electric Blend door diverts air flow thru the heater core or around the heater core or anywhere in between, that's what the TEMP knob operates, yours is stuck diverting air thru the heater core

88workcar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
Now we talkin LOL, thanks fellas, I'll get on it

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I think it's a fault in the system design. My 2019 does it too when the humidity is high.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The AC unit is on all the time to "dry" the air, but when you first start up the vehicle any residual moisture left in the evaporator housing will get blown into the cab vents
And until the evaporator gets cold enough to condense any moisture in the incoming air it will pass thru into the cab and condense on surfaces, like windshield

Check the evaporator drain to make sure the condensed water can drain out easily, these can be clogged up easily and its just a gravity drain so there is no pressure to push the water out of the evaporator housing

Last edited:

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Leave an open can of clam chowdah under the heater core. The chowdah will absorb the excess moisture to keep your windshield from fogging. Clams are extremely hygroscopic.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals