• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Decked

Ldr01rl

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.2L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Respect...
So my new Ranger is Decked and now my dilemma is how to fit my tools in it. Three bags, one small, one medium and the larger duffle for cordless tools, not to mention the bit boxes, extra batteries, blah-blah-blah. As I begin the task of making it work, I'll update along.

Attachments

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Is that all of them? looks like you're into some kinda drywall, do you use stilts? Have a bit of longer things that need to be added also?
I was on a project once that had a cabinet man who had built a fine little bed riser of plywood, not sure what height(it could vary)
Under that he had 3 or 4 long drawers that went the full length of the bed. In those were partitions of varying lengths which made spaces for everything he carried that could be tucked away, and of course, the tools which were too large to be tucked away went on the "top"(over which he had a very fine topper)

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You have so little space with that deck AND a cap.... Good luck using your truck for truck stuff. I thought 90's-00's ranger beds were small but these 19's and 20's are ridiculously small... It's hard to like these new rangers since they are the farthest thing from the original small trucks... Instead lets flood the interior with crap that will be outdated in 2 years and forget about the basics of a truck like the truck bed.... I'd love to be a designer for these things as I have great ideas and would use every inch of space for usefulness.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I’m thinking of building my own set of drawers to do the same thing. Since the 2019 replaced an a small crossover SUV, bed space isn’t a big deal. Anything cargo wise is going to be better than what I had.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The bed isn’t that much smaller than a typical older ranger bed and the interior is far from stuffed with tech...

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
You could build/buy a cargo box for the top. I see you already have a rack that goes from the front of the cab to the back of the bed. That is probably the largest storage area, use it.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The bed with a deck system AND a cap takes up quite a bit of space. Why not just have one or the other? They both do the same thing in theory. As for the tech, if you have a digital dash with a menu that you have to scroll through then its too much tech.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The bed isn’t that much smaller than a typical older ranger bed and the interior is far from stuffed with tech...
Correct if you have a Supercab, it comes with a 6' bed. A Supercrew cab has a 5' bed, which is a big turn off to a lot of people. As far as the tech, that is a matter of opinion. I tend to agree that there is too much tech with the new truck but it isn't as bad as others. Some only want an AM/FM radio, manual locks, and hand crank windows. Anything more to them is stuffed with tech.

Ldr01rl

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.2L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Respect...
So the deal is that the Softtopper is folded up during the dry days if I need an open bed. Truck stuff?
This truck has already towed a trailer hauled loads and is on jobsites daily. My Prius did more truck stuff than most truck owners did with their trailer queens. So this Ranger need to catch up, show it's worth. And the tools?
Well it only takes those two tool bags and that Ryobi duffel to get most jobs done. My Ranger can handle 8ft sheets of plywood up top, 2x's, PVC pipes, etc. The bed has held it share of 14-2, boxes and soft conduit along with plumbing supplies. Maybe a pallet of shingles, coil nails and tar paper. For the weekend you ask?
Maybe I want to bugout and camp on the ladder rack via 3/4 plywood for the tent floor. I could haul a couple Hobies or MTB's, scooters or hoverboards, the kids ATVs, etc.
Come on. I just built up the versatility of the Ranger beyond a kid hauler, grocery getter. I do that too. Wait till the fabricated headache rack and M.O.L.L.E sideboards come into play. Yikes...up the game.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Correct if you have a Supercab, it comes with a 6' bed. A Supercrew cab has a 5' bed, which is a big turn off to a lot of people. As far as the tech, that is a matter of opinion. I tend to agree that there is too much tech with the new truck but it isn't as bad as others. Some only want an AM/FM radio, manual locks, and hand crank windows. Anything more to them is stuffed with tech.
Its only a foot difference, even when it is an option a 6' bed on a crewcab midsize is an unpopular option.

Some people will complain about anything.

Ldr01rl

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.2L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Respect...
I'm not done tweaking the Decked with regards to organization. Those two bags and the Ryobi duffel need to fit in the drawers with misc stuff. The Ranger fits into my garage, no problem. I'll add an expanded metal floor for over the roof portion, a conduit carrier and flood lights. I wouldn't mind a secondary battery too

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have a roll out bed in the back of my truck. I have too many different hats I wear to be able to have a designated set of tools that stay in the truck. A topper is essential for theft deterrence and keeping the weather off. I also built some roof racks attached to the topper and with a front receiver and a bracket in the receiver have carried up to 24' long planks. I have a small trailer to use for bigger jobs.
20191221_200213_HDR.jpg

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
After I get the racks for the cab of mine. Having a 5 foot bed will be next to no hindrance at all. I still have a 4X8 utility trailer from when all I had was the SUV. So, over sized items weren't ever a problem.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So my new Ranger is Decked and now my dilemma is how to fit my tools in it. Three bags, one small, one medium and the larger duffle for cordless tools, not to mention the bit boxes, extra batteries, blah-blah-blah. As I begin the task of making it work, I'll update along.
Man I completely misread that photo. With the handle sticking up on the left one I thought that was two tool caddies sitting on the tailgate and that the bucket and pouches were laying in the bed.

I just now noticed you already had the drawer system. :D
My bad, sir, carry it on! ;) (and good luck :) )

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals