• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Decision for a first handgun

kcm1582

Ford Technician
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well I finally got my ltc and have started looking for a decent handgun and I've narrowed it down to two choices in my price range. One shop has a new Sig sp2022 9mm for 525, or i can get a used Sig p229 for 599 from another.

The sp2022 comes with 1 mag where the p229 has 3, both are limited to 10 rounds(thanks state of MA:annoyed:). The 229 looked to be well maintained so im not to worried about it being used. However, what I am more concerned about is the caliber difference. I have shot my buddies M&P 40 and didn't like the recoil, or the trigger.

So, I need opinions, is the extra weight of a 229 enough to make it reasonable to shoot, am I better off with the 2022, or is there not much difference between the two?

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm no gun expert by any means.

It doesn't matter which one you choose. I'd choose one that felt good in your hands and the one you like better.. Personally I'll never own enough guns. And I would never buy a new gun used. When I buy a gun new I plan to keep it forever.

Good luck on your decision.

Btw I love my S&W M&P 40.

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
I think a 9mm would be good, and all around versatile round with minimal recoil. Not terribly expensive or hard to get either.

Road Angels

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
If your looking to carry a concealed, I use a 22 cal. for two reasons one its very easy to conceal, I can hit what ever I need to multi times due to low kick back, very little re-aiming, and very acurate, and yes a 22 will stop a person, in the time you can get a second aimed shot off with the 9 mm I have unload a clip, but thats just my opinion, some just need that big gun, also a 22 will draw out of a shoulder holster faster

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Really most any modern gun commercially available in the states is going to be plenty reliable out of the box, after that it's up to your cleaning schedule. It'll need cleaned regularly even if you don't shoot it, mine gets full of lint and crap pretty regularly.

The biggest part of choosing a gun: Finding one that's comfortable in your hands.

The next thing is how it shoots, it may very well be worth it to check out a gun range and ask if they have some models to try shooting, usually they'll oblige and help you out.

Obviously smaller is better for concealed but the holster has a lot to do with it as well. I use a White Hat, but there's a lot of others that are very similar in design. Mine conceals my .45 full size M&P (10+1) on me pretty well, and I'm not even that big of a guy. Though I'd have rather gotten the compact version looking back.

Ask your friends that have pistols and guns as well, they could give you a line or let you try theirs.

kcm1582

Ford Technician
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm no gun expert by any means.

It doesn't matter which one you choose. I'd choose one that felt good in your hands and the one you like better.. Personally I'll never own enough guns. And I would never buy a new gun used. When I buy a gun new I plan to keep it forever.

Good luck on your decision.

Btw I love my S&W M&P 40.
Well it looks almost new, just a little wear on the common points and the usually retail for 850 around here new with 2 mags. I like the feel of the M&P but here in MA we are stuck with a crappy MA compliant trigger that would cost $135 to get replaced, on top of the $535 price tag just to have the same gun everyone else in the country can get, and thats a bit out of what I can justify spending.

If your looking to carry a concealed, I use a 22 cal. for two reasons one its very easy to conceal, I can hit what ever I need to multi times due to low kick back, very little re-aiming, and very acurate, and yes a 22 will stop a person, in the time you can get a second aimed shot off with the 9 mm I have unload a clip, but thats just my opinion, some just need that big gun, also a 22 will draw out of a shoulder holster faster
From the ammo tests and reviews I have seen, 22 just isn't as effective from a hand gun as a larger caliber say 9mm+ it may work, but I wouldn't bet my life on it. Plus 22lr is impossible to find right now, every shop ive been to has had an empty shelf where they keep the 22

Really most any modern gun commercially available in the states is going to be plenty reliable out of the box, after that it's up to your cleaning schedule. It'll need cleaned regularly even if you don't shoot it, mine gets full of lint and crap pretty regularly.

The biggest part of choosing a gun: Finding one that's comfortable in your hands.

The next thing is how it shoots, it may very well be worth it to check out a gun range and ask if they have some models to try shooting, usually they'll oblige and help you out.

Obviously smaller is better for concealed but the holster has a lot to do with it as well. I use a White Hat, but there's a lot of others that are very similar in design. Mine conceals my .45 full size M&P (10+1) on me pretty well, and I'm not even that big of a guy. Though I'd have rather gotten the compact version looking back.

Ask your friends that have pistols and guns as well, they could give you a line or let you try theirs.
Both are very comfortable in my hands , and sized nearly identically, I'm sure I could conceal either with out any problems. I've been looking at the White Hat and CrossBreed holsters and like them, most of the stores around here stock the CrossBreed's and the White Hat's are backordered.

Unfortunately there aren't any ranges around here that rent guns, they are all members only, but a few of my friends are members of one and I'm going with one of them sometime this week to shoot his 40 M&P again. If I can handle that ok I think I'll go for the p229, if not then I'll get the sp2022.

But I'm still thinking the lighter 9mm may kick just as much as the heaver .40

mn_smokeater

Firefighter
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.4L V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ahhhh yes child come to the Sig Sauer fold.

Both are great options. I would say the 2022 might be a better starter as the 9mm round is more affordable to shoot your practice rounds in and the defensive rounds can approach the .40 range.

The 229 though brings more to the table in options. You are able to swap from .40 to .357SIG with just a barrel change and with another barrel and mags you can use 9mm. The frame is also metal vs polymer so the heft will soak up some recoil.

The Sigs also have the difference of being DA/SA(double action/Single action) vs striker fired like the M&Ps or they may be DAK(Double Action Kellerman) or DAO(Double Action Only) The 229 has the decocker so I would assume it is a DA/SA.

Another plus to the P229 is that it may well have far more value down the road vs the 2022 or a M&P.

If you have any qualms about the 229 you can very easily send it back to Sig where they offer this:
SIG Service Package –The best way to protect your used pistol!

SIG SAUER® now offers a special service for used SIG SAUER pistols called the SIG Service Plan (SSP). When you buy a used pistol, whether it's from a shooting buddy, a retail store or at a gun show, contact SIG SAUER Customer Service for shipping instructions. Then, ship your pistol to the factory for a complete cleaning and our “full service package” for just $144.95. This special offer includes installation of new SIGLITE® Night Sights* – a $120 value. Our expert armorers will inspect your pistol top to bottom. Should your pistol show signs of misuse or damage caused by a previous owner, SIG SAUER's armorers will advise you and offer cost-effective solutions to repair your pistol.

The SIG Service Plan includes*:

Full disassembly of pistols down to frame and slide
Complete detailed cleaning
Expert factory inspection of all critical components
Replacement of springs (recoil, slide catch lever, trigger bar, decocking lever)
Reassembly and lubrication to factory specifications
Installation of SIGLITE® Factory Night Sights (excluding P232®)
Function test
Hope that helps!

kcm1582

Ford Technician
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Around here the difference in ammo prices is a few dollars a box for 50, and hollow points are about the same price for either. After talking to by friend who shoots a lot of .40 I think I will adjust to it pretty quickly and am going to check out the p229 tomorrow after work, if I like what I see I'm going to buy it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals