• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Death of a 4 banger

NIPs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.5L 4Cyl
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
One shot one Kill
99 xlt single cab stepside

Sent from my ME173X using Tapatalk

NIPs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.5L 4Cyl
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
One shot one Kill
Today 4-25-14 marks the death of my 2.5l engine and trans, for the last couple weeks ive gotten several different check engine codes related to the transmissions codes like open circuit to clutch actuator, high voltage output from the transmission module, after work I got on the freeway to go home, accelerated to Get up to 70mph, to begin my 30mile drive home overdrive was on, at about 60mph it seem to feel like my engine was reving really high I backd off the throttle to try and help it shift which I thought it did but hadn't, I begin to notice excessive road/engine noise which I left off the throttle again, at this point my chk engine Came on and stayed a solid light(so far ive gone about 6 miles), I looked down at all my gauges and everything looked normal, I keep driving then notice my chk engine light is flashing(when a chk engine flashes it means catalyst converter is soon to fail) I pull off the side of the road immediately not sure whats about to happen, I notice my engine is seriously knocking/ticking, I shut off the engine hoping I can salvage whatever I can, I get out pop the hood(Im still pretty far from home almost 20 miles) and all I c is white smoke and smell burnt oil, I tried starting it to make sure the engine isn't seized, it fires up but sounds like its only running on 2 cylinders, I talk myself in to just trying to get to my exit which is only 4 mmiles, I had looked under my truck and trans crossmember and everything else is coated in oil, I ride the shoulder til I get off and then I have another 17miles of 2 lane hwy, my roommate was already on his way to come tow me back but I just kept going and try and make it back, I have 2 temp nd 2 oil pressure gauges neither one them went up or down,the truck never overheated or lost oil pressure, I got back home with out stopping, 30 miles on verge of catastrophic engine failure, doing 50-60 the whole way, my snapon scan tool notified me several times of cylinder number 1 misfire, once I made it home I discovered the truth that I had spun a rod bearing mostly likely cylinder number 1 because of the misfire, I decided that im not gona scrap my truck or sell it but find aanother engine and transmission and drop it into that, ive put probably close to $2000 into this truck already might as well keep going everybody I know has told me to get another engine nd transmission in, ive already got another car to get t7o work, so if u live in Michigan and live Luther flint or Lansing area let me know and have a 2.5L and the 4r44e automatic trans preferably have both but would settle for just the engine please contact me on here

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Today 4-25-14 marks the death of my 2.5l engine and trans, for the last couple weeks ive gotten several different check engine codes related to the transmissions codes like open circuit to clutch actuator, high voltage output from the transmission module, after work I got on the freeway to go home, accelerated to Get up to 70mph, to begin my 30mile drive home overdrive was on, at about 60mph it seem to feel like my engine was reving really high I backd off the throttle to try and help it shift which I thought it did but hadn't, I begin to notice excessive road/engine noise which I left off the throttle again, at this point my chk engine Came on and stayed a solid light(so far ive gone about 6 miles), I looked down at all my gauges and everything looked normal, I keep driving then notice my chk engine light is flashing(when a chk engine flashes it means catalyst converter is soon to fail) I pull off the side of the road immediately not sure whats about to happen, I notice my engine is seriously knocking/ticking, I shut off the engine hoping I can salvage whatever I can, I get out pop the hood(Im still pretty far from home almost 20 miles) and all I c is white smoke and smell burnt oil, I tried starting it to make sure the engine isn't seized, it fires up but sounds like its only running on 2 cylinders, I talk myself in to just trying to get to my exit which is only 4 mmiles, I had looked under my truck and trans crossmember and everything else is coated in oil, I ride the shoulder til I get off and then I have another 17miles of 2 lane hwy, my roommate was already on his way to come tow me back but I just kept going and try and make it back, I have 2 temp nd 2 oil pressure gauges neither one them went up or down,the truck never overheated or lost oil pressure, I got back home with out stopping, 30 miles on verge of catastrophic engine failure, doing 50-60 the whole way, my snapon scan tool notified me several times of cylinder number 1 misfire, once I made it home I discovered the truth that I had spun a rod bearing mostly likely cylinder number 1 because of the misfire, I decided that im not gona scrap my truck or sell it but find aanother engine and transmission and drop it into that, ive put probably close to $2000 into this truck already might as well keep going everybody I know has told me to get another engine nd transmission in, ive already got another car to get t7o work, so if u live in Michigan and live Luther flint or Lansing area let me know and have a 2.5L and the 4r44e automatic trans preferably have both but would settle for just the engine please contact me on here

Did you figure out where the oil came from! Could it be tranny fluid?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NIPs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.5L 4Cyl
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
One shot one Kill
No I did not figure out where but I think from the dip stick, an no it wasn't tranny cuz it was black/Brown, not red

Kenneth S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Transmission fluid can turn brown/black from heat, and the worn friction material from the clutch packs in the transmission (the oil could have come out of the vent on top of the transmission). The knocking/ticking sound could have also come from the transmission (I've seen a few automatics do that). If you spun a rod bearing the oil pressure would fluctuate then drop off, a spun rod bearing wouldn't usually cause a miss-fire. You could have lost a coil pack causing a miss-fire, or something happened to a piston(s), and rings if the oil did come out of the engine. Regardless it's good you want to fix the truck rather than junk it out.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Transmission fluid can turn brown/black from heat, and the worn friction material from the clutch packs in the transmission (the oil could have come out of the vent on top of the transmission). The knocking/ticking sound could have also come from the transmission (I've seen a few automatics do that). If you spun a rod bearing the oil pressure would fluctuate then drop off, a spun rod bearing wouldn't usually cause a miss-fire. You could have lost a coil pack causing a miss-fire, or something happened to a piston(s), and rings if the oil did come out of the engine. Regardless it's good you want to fix the truck rather than junk it out.
That is what I was thinking. I was trying to nudge the OP into actually inspecting everything to determine the real issue. The chances of losing an engine and tranny in one week are slim. These engines are pretty bulletproof if you maintain them.

The 98,99,2000 rangers use the vss in the diff to feed info to the tranny. When they fail the tranny acts up,

The tranny cooling lines could have failed. You need a careful inspection to determine what happened.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NIPs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.5L 4Cyl
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
One shot one Kill
Guys there metal in the engine oil, and the tranny still nice and red from when I changed the filter 6 months ago, its not the tcm or the tranny, its the engine, ive changed the oil on that truck every 3000 miles like im suppose to, in the last couple months the engine was starting to fail it had 202k miles it lived a good life, I ran a compression test on all 4 cylinders, 1-3 cylinders had a 175ish psi, cylinder number 4 had 150psi, spec is right around 200psi per cylinder, I drained the oil out of the pan and put it in a clear container with a magnet on the bottom of it we dumped the oil and and their was a good chunk of metal flakes at the bottom, I dont have the time or the money to fix it otherwise I would

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals