• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dealing with a Wiring Harness in Not-So-Good-Condition

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
Ranger: 1985 RCLB, 2.8 V6, auto, RWD

I'm in the process of a Duraspark conversion and trying to figure out what parts of the harness can go and what's needed to make the truck operate.

Several individual wires are missing insulation and some connectors are in poor condition.

1 - Is there a source for wiring with the correct colors and tracers/hashes/dashes?

2 - How about a source for the correct connectors?

For instance, the neutral safety switch for the A4LD has wiring exposed right were the insulation meets the connector. I'm not sure if there's a way to fix that and that connector is kind of unique.

I'm hoping my only resource isn't another harness out of an early Ranger. But, I'm thinking it might be.

TIA.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I have used liquid tape in situations like you mentioned about the Neutral Safety Switch.

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
I was thinking that might not be a bad idea. What concerns me is the strength/weakness of the wire strands themselves. Not sure how much they've been worked over the years.

How did you clean everything so the liquid electrical tape would stick? Brake/Carb cleaner?

Last edited:

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
I was thinking that might not be a bad idea. What concerns me is the strength/weakness of the wire strands themselves. Not sure how much they've been worked over the years.

How did you clean everything so the liquid electrical tape would stick? Bake/Carb cleaner?

Used the battery Corrosion Cleaner stuff in this kit. Then alcohol or Brake cleaner, something to flash dry the area. THEN the liquid tape. If I could, I would try to get some heat shrink on there to hold it all in place.

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
If I could, I would try to get some heat shrink on there to hold it all in place.
That's going to be the trick, the exposed wire strands are where the insulation meets the connector. I'm wondering if some Silicone 1 might work, as well.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
That's going to be the trick, the exposed wire strands are where the insulation meets the connector. I'm wondering if some Silicone 1 might work, as well.
I'm not familiar with "Silicone 1". Can you get a pic of the connection in question. Wondering if a "dollop" of solder would help?

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
I'm not familiar with "Silicone 1". Can you get a pic of the connection in question. Wondering if a "dollop" of solder would help?
I can get a pic, sure. Solder won't help, this is the neutral safety switch connection for an A4LD. There are four wires going into the connector. The connector is (wine bottle) cork shaped with some type of rubberized coating. The issue is right where the wiring meets the connector.

IIRC, Silicone 1 is used to seal exterior surfaces (as opposed to Silicone 2 which is interior use only and mostly used in high humidity locations, i.e. bathrooms).

Last edited:

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
The issue is right where the wiring meets the connector.
I've run into broken / missing wire insulation right at the connector myself, and have used hot melt glue with good results.

If the copper strands themselves are still good, clean and degrease the area real good with blasts of aerosol contact (or even brake) cleaner. Make sure that the exposed wires are separated from each other (but keep each wire's individual strands together) then start in the center of the wires and build up a good covering of glue, inside and outside the wires.

The hot glue should cover the back of the connector, and build up a covering well up to the intact original plastic wire insulation. This will insulate the bare sections, and stabilize the worn spots.

In some cases you can "de-pin" the terminal, heat-shrink the bare spot and then reinsert the terminal back into the connector. But the hot melt glue is expedient, and has worked well for me.

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
Another great idea. This connector cannot be de-pinned. I'm pretty sure the rubber coating was molded onto the connector after the wiring had been put in-place. The only issue with hot glue might be that it's more permanent than Silicone 1 (either are going to be a pain to remove). Although, if the connector or wiring fails, I'm going to need to find another one.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals