• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dealership service quote, advice needed!

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Ugh mine are I think original. Luckily the truck has only 89k original miles, shes a gem. Lots of slop in them, its due. I already did the wheel bearings, they are nice. I cleaned up and repacked the originals, which were in good shape.

Good call on all that, I'd like to fix whatever else I can reach along the way, and not take it apart again for a long time.

I need to order axle u joints and a good die grinder bit.

Kegworth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Well while we on the U-Joint convo... I've got the truck back from dealer and got a boat load of parts on order. Last thing i'd been waiting to order is all the U-Joints. I was looking at Moog's website, and they have a kit. Its 8 U-Joints! Sounds like a gigantic headache. But I'm also assuming that if multiple are shot, than its safe to assume they all are.

My question is, what's the practicality / feasibility of changing them all. Is it necessary? Or are there any that are just impossible to get to without dropping tranny or something weird like that. Don't wanna be over ambitious here.

Edit: Added pic from Moog

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
1, 3, and 9 may have very little use on them and therefore no wear. But its worth checking them. Don’t just assume.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I would not change the 3 #9's unless they check bad. If you are in there doing something else, then that is the time to really consider changing any of the #9's unless they are perfect. It's a lot of work to get to them to change them.

All the others are easy to get to. If the check ok, then leave them. Later on if one fails they are easy to get to and change.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I did an entire frame-off overhaul of my Ranger, including rebuild the trans and I did not have anywhere close to that amount in the job.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
@Kegworth

Where are you in TN, what dealership??

dccarpenter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Another option if you don't have a setup for pressing the u-joints yourself is to pull the driveshafts and take them to a garage with a press. I took three with me one day and they pressed in 6 of my new joints for $50 and I took the driveshafts home and re-installed.

I've had mixed luck with the c-clamp and sledge method in my driveway. I didn't have a good bench vise at the time I could use.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I may do that with ball joints myself, I bought a tool kit for that but no longer have access to a torch, If I cant get it done without a torch I’ll just drop off the knuckles & new ball joints.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Another option if you don't have a setup for pressing the u-joints yourself is to pull the driveshafts and take them to a garage with a press. I took three with me one day and they pressed in 6 of my new joints for $50 and I took the driveshafts home and re-installed.

I've had mixed luck with the c-clamp and sledge method in my driveway. I didn't have a good bench vise at the time I could use.
The bench vise method is not that great either. It works if everything is nice and clean. Where I live everything is rusty and stuck. Those front axle joints can get really stuck. I remember years ago I was doing a f150 axle and I had it in the big press at work and it cut loose with a bang and everyone in the shop jumped on that one. I just did the ones in my BII and they were stuck also. They came loose with a bang also. And sometimes the yoke that holds the joint will get bent during the removal process. You have to eyeball it and try to bend it back in shape or your clip will not fit in the groove.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals