• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dealer Installed A/C System Problems!!!!

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
That's a factory looking evaporator case, I wonder if someone replaced a bunch of parts with non stock pieces. If the compressor isn't engaging the first thing to check is the fuses. As Ron said, the only power is to the compressor clutch so it shouldn't be too hard to trace 1 wire.
Agree with @19Walt93; it looks like the truck was born with factory AC and was "somewhat" repaired along the way with aftermarket parts (it's only been 37 years, right?).

Including some factory diagrams in case it helps.

It's good to start on tracing the wire to the compressor clutch. If the AC switch lights and the blower works, the 30A fuse 9 should be OK. I suspect that the original pressure switch (which was on the original accumulator) was bypassed (i.e.- a jumper, or the plug was cut and the two wires spliced together). You should be able to trace, and restore the circuit to the compressor, and get the clutch to engage. If there's power there but no clutch, check the grounding side.

Get the compressor clutch to work, then take things from there.

Most aftermarket systems had the pressure switch on the accumulator / drier (like the factory system). On yours (your second pic) there's a threaded plug on the top, rear side, where a pressure switch can be added. There should also be a sight glass in that dimple on top of the drier; yours is either covered with grime or the black paint wasn't scraped off when it was installed.

Hope this helps; good luck!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Agree with @19Walt93; it looks like the truck was born with factory AC and was "somewhat" repaired along the way with aftermarket parts (it's only been 37 years, right?).

Including some factory diagrams in case it helps.

It's good to start on tracing the wire to the compressor clutch. If the AC switch lights and the blower works, the 30A fuse 9 should be OK. I suspect that the original pressure switch (which was on the original accumulator) was bypassed (i.e.- a jumper, or the plug was cut and the two wires spliced together). You should be able to trace, and restore the circuit to the compressor, and get the clutch to engage. If there's power there but no clutch, check the grounding side.

Get the compressor clutch to work, then take things from there.

Most aftermarket systems had the pressure switch on the accumulator / drier (like the factory system). On yours (your second pic) there's a threaded plug on the top, rear side, where a pressure switch can be added. There should also be a sight glass in that dimple on top of the drier; yours is either covered with grime or the black paint wasn't scraped off when it was installed.

Hope this helps; good luck!
The evap housing was born for the Ford system but it doesn't have the knockout for the evaporator where it is supposed to be. It is almost like whoever made the kit just bought blank housings from Ford and drilled holes where they needed them to fit whatever evaporator they wanted to use.

This is a 4.0 but the housing and evaporator was the same 83-94. Note how much higher the top fitting is coming out of the housing.

The button on the dash is also not "correct" for an '84, it should be square and the size is close enough I don't know how easily they would be interchanged. And they have "A/C" with an arrow to the button printed on the panel. It is strange that it even mentions A/C though, a non A/C truck shouldn't...

EDIT: Here is an '83 with the blue button that is different yet so I guess I don't know...

I wonder if a new control panel was part of "the kit" too

Last edited:

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Good points, @85_Ranger4x4 , and I'm second-looking the OP's pics, too, but I still feel that his is a mix of OEM and aftermarket.

The expansion valve versus orifice tube, the worm clamps and drier itself look aftermarket.

I remember that AC kits from back then really varied in quality, and in what components were replaced versus modified. The HVAC control could be a nice complete replacement piece, or half-assed with an overlay sticker and a switch which had to be hacked-in. Of course a lot of this was vehicle model-specific.

And there's also the situation of a "dealer installed" kit versus pure aftermaket. I mainly installed aftermarket AC kits, but would occasionally install the dealer's kit.

I'll look at my '84 tomorrow, which has factory air, to get a better comparison to the OP's truck.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
And there is also the 35+ YEARS of DIY changes to the original AC system

I would doubt there are very many original parts left if AC was to be kept work over that time frame

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Do you have a portable generator and some duck tape?

B8djF90IQAAgQhU.jpg

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Now thats truely Redneck vehicle AC

Might get a ticket for obstructed vision, but heck they allow dark tinted widows now

Broncomeat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good points, @85_Ranger4x4 , and I'm second-looking the OP's pics, too, but I still feel that his is a mix of OEM and aftermarket.

The expansion valve versus orifice tube, the worm clamps and drier itself look aftermarket.

I remember that AC kits from back then really varied in quality, and in what components were replaced versus modified. The HVAC control could be a nice complete replacement piece, or half-assed with an overlay sticker and a switch which had to be hacked-in. Of course a lot of this was vehicle model-specific.

And there's also the situation of a "dealer installed" kit versus pure aftermaket. I mainly installed aftermarket AC kits, but would occasionally install the dealer's kit.

I'll look at my '84 tomorrow, which has factory air, to get a better comparison to the OP's truck.

Here is the data plate from the compressor. I jumpered the clutch from the battery and the clutch engaged and the compressor even seemed to be pumping air, tomorrow I will connect every thing and see if it will hold vacuum. I also found the accumulator dryer online with the pressure switch port, so I'm hoping I can just get a pressure switch and attach it there and run a wire from the ac dash switch to the pressure switch to the clutch, but I'm wondering, does it go through fuse #9 and also to a ground somewhere?
-2131633458261192789.jpg

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
IMHO trace it.

I remain unconvinced your truck had factory a/c. If it did it has been hacked beyond recognition so all bets are off anyway.

The only things that point to factory a/c is the blower housing which has never had the correct evaporator in it and 2/3 of the printing on the dash panel.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Compressor Clutch should have 2 connections, one for 12v from pressure switch and the other is a full time ground
There is no polarity, the clutch is just a coil of wire that becomes and electro-magnet when it has 12v and a ground

There is often a Diode between the two wires to prevent voltage spikes when system cycles off and on, good idea to have it but not required
You can find them on most AC units in wrecking yards
These do have a polarity

In the diagram the 12v to the AC switch comes from fuse 9 that protects the whole circuit in case of a short

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
That's a dealer installed A/C system. I've seen more than a few just like it at a local junkyard that has tons of 1st and 2nd gen Rangers and Bronco II's. The round blue button is a common feature in dealer installed units, along with no A/C markings on the HVAC panel. Though some had a sticker applied.

Broncomeat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
This is basically identical to my system, the diagram is of Vintage Air system, some of the vintage air parts look like they are direct replacements for what i have. I hooked up a vac pump and found that the system had a pretty good leak, so then I applied a little pressure to the system and using soapy water found an bad hose. Vintage Air has a replacement accumulator for pretty cheap and hopefully they will have an adequate replacement hose. Once I get all of that I'll flush the components and hoses and the try the vacuum test again, I'll update when I get that done. also V Air's diagram shows a pressure switch so maybe I'll need to look a little closer to find mine.

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I am really curious why a dealer wouldn't just use Ford parts for something like this. I know it was fairly common, I just don't understand the thought process behind not using parts that were designed to fit.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
"In Stock"

That's what determines what parts I can use at any given time, Dealer wouldn't be any different
A Dealer would be more inclined, and obligated, to use Ford parts, but the customer has to come first or there is no Dealer, or Ford for that matter, lol

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am really curious why a dealer wouldn't just use Ford parts for something like this. I know it was fairly common, I just don't understand the thought process behind not using parts that were designed to fit.
I am going to guess somehow it was cheaper for the dealer to buy. Not competing with the assembly line for as many parts may have been better in Ford's eyes too.

I doubt it was any cheaper in the end though... I bet they got a healthy markup.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals