• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dead stop on 2005 Ranger XL rebuild. 2.3 Vin D

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Oof, definitely a shortage around here right now... nothing at either of the local Portland area junkyards (the main two anyway, not many anymore, maybe check the one down in Turner?). Craigslist doesn't have anything either... found a couple cheap Lima's but that's way too much work :)

DaveH

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Oof, definitely a shortage around here right now... nothing at either of the local Portland area junkyards (the main two anyway, not many anymore, maybe check the one down in Turner?). Craigslist doesn't have anything either... found a couple cheap Lima's but that's way too much work :)
Well I'm going to K Falls on Saturday. Got a line on an 08 with 147K and running. Video the engine sounds strong. Cross my fingers. This will bail me out until I decide later on an engine swap.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
In Sherwood about your only option would be another Ranger engine which in '05 I think limits you to 3.0L or 4.0L which is a change of some wiring including PATS junk, exhaust and transmission... Honestly that's part of why I'm in Dayton :)

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
05 has the 2.3. no PATS in mine either. I think that was a 2005 year only deal.

DaveH

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So far I'm pretty happy with the 16 block. Before I bought I checked compression at crank speed cold. 180 to 184 psi across the 4. Brought it home and compared the blocks for fitment. So far that 16 Duratec is a twin to my 05, Bell housing and passenger side Alternator large bracket matches perfectly. Engine front case appear to share the same common threaded holes but the 16 has extra holes that shouldn't affect the swap. (the 05 cover is replacing the 16 cover) Tomorrow I'm tearing down the 16 and looking closely at the two cylinder head patterns, and of course the pan to block pattern. Need to research the PATS system.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals