• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dead short

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Hey TRS'ers, I wonder if you guys could help me? I went to start my Ranger yesterday and no way. The battery was totally dead. Odd, it worked fine the day before. Hooked up jumper cables and it was arcing as though the polarity was wrong but wasn't. So I assume I have a shorted out wire somewhere. :icon_confused:
Before I start chasing through a quarter mile of wiring or replacing harnesses, is there anyplace in particular I should look? Have any of you guys had this happen to you?

Thanks in advance.

crusin93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1998
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
First off disconnect the +/- cables from the truck to the battery, then put jumper cables or charger onto battery. If an arc occurs you have a short in the battery. If not work backwards from the pos lead. A likely short can occur in the starter solenoid or starter itself. Hope this helps!

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
My battery went 'dead' all of a sudden and i couldnt figure it out. Two starters later we realized it was the battery, a slice in the positive wire allowed corrosion into the wire and prevented good energy transfer. Start at teh beginning,(your terminals) and methodically, slowly work outward.

GoodOld85BlueBalls

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2010/2013
Make / Model
FORD/FORD
Engine Size
3.0Powerstroke/3.5 EcoBoost
Transmission
Manual
The last time I had a short in a Battery, it blew up when I hooked the jumper cables to it. Be mindful that it is always best to hook the jumper cables to the bad battery first, then land them on the one in the running vehicle. Always hook up the positive first and land the ground on another part of the vehicle other than the battery.

I hate my acid washed coveralls. :D

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks guys. I didn't know where to begin.

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
Have had that happen before. Went to Wal-Mart one morning for storage bens. Got done shopping, and to the Ranger to head back home. Turned the key and all my gauges went reversed. No click, no power, no light. Got a jump and head straight home. Tried again once I got home, same results.

Word of the wise. Batteries do not have to give an indication of them dieing. And should be tested annually or every 6 months if they are older than 3 years old.

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
The "Bad ground issue" thread below this is pretty similar to my issue. Thanks again for your help guys.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals