• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dead mans guns...

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Read a stat that 9 out of 10 people who have a failed suicide attempt, will no longer attempt suicide, 10% will succeed
Gun pretty much takes that away that 90% with seconds thoughts

Suicide is a permanent solution for a temporary problem for most people who attempt it

I am pretty sure most of the illegal guns were stolen or otherwise came into the illegal gun market through legal channels
As far as I know criminals are not making their own guns in vast numbers

Guns don't kill people bullets kill people, its not a good argument to say guns are not the issue when they clearly are
Securing guns is more the issue in my opinion, so criminals slowly run out of them, they lose guns because they get caught with them, get rid of them because it can link them to a crime

I think if legal gun owners actually did what they are suppose to do, secure their guns, we would see fewer and fewer guns in the illegal market
Lots of people who attempt suicide with a gun end up surviving. I know 2 people personally who tried and lived. Just saying, guns don't always kill even with a head shot. You're probably alot less likely to come back from hanging yourself or swallowing a bottle of pills.

And while stolen guns that were legal once surely count for alot of gun crimes, criminals don't need to "make guns". TONS of guns are illegally smuggled into the U.S. Around a quarter of a million guns a year just from Mexico. Its harder to buy a gun legally than it is to buy a gun smuggled in on the black market. So how do strict gun laws help if criminals have easier access than law abiding citizens?

Not that I disagree about gun owners needing to be responsible and keep their guns locked and secure. I may talk about guns here but I never share photos or get too specific, I never mention where I keep them, and I can assure you where I do keep them is secure and no burglar has a chance in hell of stealing one of my guns, and if somehow they did, most of them won't work if they tried to use them.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Actually guns from the US are smuggled into Mexico, from 2014 to 2018 70% of the guns seized by Federal Mexican officers were traced back to the US
I am sure there is a lot of traffic the other way, but it seems they prefer US made guns south of the border

From the stats 15% of illegal guns are stolen from homes and cars
Close to 30% are from Straw man purchases, people who can buy guns do so, for people who can't buy a gun, and I assume are paid to "help out"
Majority of handguns in criminal possession come from licensed dealers(FFL's) who sell the guns at a large profit and either report them as stolen or run thru Straw man purchases of their own

I think most of these can be dealt with by better gun control, i.e. lock it up when you don't need it
Better policing of the Straw man purchases, if a gun is seized from a criminal and there is no "stolen gun report" from the purchaser(straw man) then they can't buy guns any more

FFL's that can't keep their guns from being "stolen" lose the license
If 10 guns from an FFL end up in criminal hands their license is suspended until they can show how that happened
And FINES, lots of them, for the Straw man, and bigger ones for the FFLs, because for these people it's all about the MONEY, so lets make it ALL ABOUT THE MONEY :)

RustyShackleford94

Just some guy
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You guys have to register your guns? :idiot:

Here in IN, its up to the selling party to ensure the buyer is a proper person (usually via taking a look at their pink card. No card, no deal imo). When buying from a shop you just go in and fill out a 4473 background check form. That clears in a minute or two then your good to go.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
You guys have to register your guns? :idiot:

Here in IN, its up to the selling party to ensure the buyer is a proper person (usually via taking a look at their pink card. No card, no deal imo). When buying from a shop you just go in and fill out a 4473 background check form. That clears in a minute or two then your good to go.
Only hand guns are registered in NJ. Long guns just need a FPIC and a background check at the time of purchase, no registration. I "voluntarily" registered the two handguns I want to use at the range because I'll be transporting them alot and rather not deal with any BS if I get pulled over or something. Even though they are technically legal from my understanding, sometimes it's just easier to go the extra step to avoid any headaches later. I don't need to nor intend to do anything with the other handguns that I'm just going to keep at home, and the long guns I got don't need anything anyway since there is no registration for them regardless.

Last edited:

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
But it should be a nationwide process that's fast and simple. Scan their license, make sure the person isn't a wanted felon or been convicted of a violent crime, if not hand them their gun and that's that. No need for anything else.
That's exactly how it works in Pennsylvania. Go into gun shop, pick out three or four nice ones and a thousand rounds for each, FFL shoots off the background check to the FBI, by the time they are done digging out all your ammo the background check came back, write them a check or hand them a wad of cash, be on your way.

Maybe if the ATF would stop giving guns to criminals they wouldn't have so many.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Are you legally supposed to do anything if you inherit guns? No paperwork, no info, literally just handed a box of a dead guys guns.

I'd like to do things by the book here and make sure they are legally in my name or whatever. I don't think I need to do anything for the long guns but not so sure on the hand guns. I mean how do even make sure they aren't stolen or murder weapons lol. Every other gun I've owned was purchased from a licensed dealer with all the accompanying background checks, permits, and paperwork...
In CA its complicated and takes a lot of time and money to do this by the book. Most likely some lucky cop who called dibs will end up with your gun(s), or it will sit in a locker or at a gun store for a long time. Unless you have some kind of proof of ownership, I wouldn't bother. Otherwise talk to an attorney thats experienced with this.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Read a stat that 9 out of 10 people who have a failed suicide attempt, will no longer attempt suicide, 10% will succeed
Gun pretty much takes that away that 90% with seconds thoughts

Suicide is a permanent solution for a temporary problem for most people who attempt it

I am pretty sure most of the illegal guns were stolen or otherwise came into the illegal gun market through legal channels
As far as I know criminals are not making their own guns in vast numbers

Guns don't kill people bullets kill people, its not a good argument to say guns are not the issue when they clearly are
Securing guns is more the issue in my opinion, so criminals slowly run out of them, they lose guns because they get caught with them, get rid of them because it can link them to a crime

I think if legal gun owners actually did what they are suppose to do, secure their guns, we would see fewer and fewer guns in the illegal market
Blaming a legal gun owner for some lowlife stealing the weapon and committing a crime is a steaming pile of horse puckies. The thief is responsible for his own actions.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Blaming a legal gun owner for some lowlife stealing the weapon and committing a crime is a steaming pile of horse puckies. The thief is responsible for his own actions.
You don't believe a gun owner is responsible in any part for taking care to keep their guns secure? :icon_confused:

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
You don't believe a gun owner is responsible in any part for taking care to keep their guns secure?
Absolutely. But if a thief breaks in, he's gonna take what he wants. A trigger lock or locked case and locked house don't stop criminals. Not everyone can afford a gun safe big enough that a theif can't carry it out.

Yes. We all need to act responsibly with the things we own - guns, knives, vehicles, etc. And I have no problem with a background check before I buy a firearm. But I will most likely never be in favor of stronger gun laws. They don't do anything useful. We already have laws against stealing. We already have laws against breaking and entering. We already have laws against assault and battery and murder. Let's concentrate on actually enforcing those laws. Laws against people's bad actions are good. Laws against inanimate objects (ie; guns) are useless. The objects don't do anything wrong unless a person is using it to break a law against his/her actions.

Last edited:

dirtymike

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger lwb
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1 inch spacers
Tire Size
P23575R15
My credo
Do unto others then Split-probasti me et chognuisti me
Lost all my weapons in a boating indecent, the all sank to the bottom of a rock quarry!

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Smash and grab from vehicles is so common, it is somewhat irresponsible to leave a firearm in one. Which is how a lot of firearms are stolen.

Existing laws, on crimes against person and property, are NOT being used properly now, and crimes committed with a firearm need to have some serious punishment behind them.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
GUN is a huge umbrella that includes "weapon", "tool" and "toy" From a rubber band shooter to a hunting rifle to an AR-15 and up. I'm all for owning guns for protection and personal use. I just don't see a reason for a non-military civilian or non-active soldier, to own or possess Military grade weaponry. Seeing an 18 yo BOY walking down the street while a riot is going on, with ( what looks to me as ) an assault rifle, is disturbing. There should be a clear distinction between civilian guns and military ones. Dressing up a pellet gun to look like an assault rifle could be dangerous to the person holding it, because if a cop rolls up, all hopped up on adrenaline and sees that, he may shoot first and ask questions later.
There can be "limits" and "restrictions" without violating anyone's "rights to bare arms".

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, if you are IN CHARGE/RESPONSIBLE FOR a deadly weapon then YOU need to take the steps to keep it secure and away from children and thieves

And very true that you can not control the actions of thieves(or children most of the time, lol) but you CAN DO what you can do to live up to your responsibility

I think "gun control" is about the legal ownership of any gun, I don't think there should be any restrictions on "responsible" gun owners

I think Illinois has the 15, 20, and 25 year automatic added sentence for crimes committed while in possession of a gun
But it didn't effect those crimes, no drop
So Laws like those don't seem to bother criminals

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I don't think there should be any restrictions on "responsible" gun owners
That guy in Las Vegas was a "responsible gun owner".
Question: "What's to stop a responsible person from "snapping" one day and just randomly unloading on unsuspecting people?"
Answer: NOTHING

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
GUN is a huge umbrella that includes "weapon", "tool" and "toy" From a rubber band shooter to a hunting rifle to an AR-15 and up. I'm all for owning guns for protection and personal use. I just don't see a reason for a non-military civilian or non-active soldier, to own or possess Military grade weaponry. Seeing an 18 yo BOY walking down the street while a riot is going on, with ( what looks to me as ) an assault rifle, is disturbing. There should be a clear distinction between civilian guns and military ones. Dressing up a pellet gun to look like an assault rifle could be dangerous to the person holding it, because if a cop rolls up, all hopped up on adrenaline and sees that, he may shoot first and ask questions later.
There can be "limits" and "restrictions" without violating anyone's "rights to bare arms".
What do you consider a military grade gun or assault rifle though lol. Just because it's black and scary looking doesn't make it any different from any other gun. Lots of people hunt with AR-15's and AR-10's and even more use similar type weapons for competition shooting.

Is this an assault weapon?

8-9.jpg

And if so then is this also an assault weapon?

HAUSOR22-1105-2__47049.1612552093.jpg

Cause they are the same gun...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals