• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Daydreaming while awake

901wd#2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
If it has two heads, it better have more than six cylinders.
First off I have shit for skills when it comes to shaping metal. Figured I’d start with rusty scrap because I know I’m gonna f it up. In fact I already did but, it’s just metal.

I have no idea what I’m doing, just know the end result I’m looking for. Any experienced folks here that want to tell me anything I’m all ears.

View attachment 112290 View attachment 112291 View attachment 112292

I’ve wanted a crewcab ranger since before I had a Ranger. Bought my first B2 in 2001 first Ranger was a 90 std cab short bed in 07 wished it was an extended cab as my feet wanted the firewall a foot forward from where it is. Sold it and bought an ext cab f150 but never loved it, sold that in 2011 when I bought another ranger, still a standard cab, but long bed this time.

This is mostly an exercise with rusty junk to see if I can pull it off.
The A pillar will be the B pillar, it kinked more than it bent. Probably won’t get another cab till winter also kicking around the idea of using a B2 cab cut near the rear windows just for extra metal to work with.

It won’t be going on a ranger chassis so no worries with lengthening that noodle frame. it will be all ford tho,

the doors, i haven't touched yet, unfortunately I can’t use the glass so it’ll likely be Lexan. Figure I’ll cut the front door frame and kink it also lol

Slice the front off the outer skin from the inner then section some from the middle to get the hinge area where I want it.

IMG_8065.jpegIMG_8069.jpegIMG_8073.jpeg

Attachments

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I agree with @2011Supercab on the explorer b-pillar. That would give you the structure and hinge point. Maybe use the explorer rear door as ad a basis as well, matching hinge and might solve the problem with window and window mechanism.

901wd#2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
If it has two heads, it better have more than six cylinders.
Oooo I like that sploder idea. Idea was to fit the ranger rear door hinge into the B pillar of the cab I don’t have yet.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That was going to be my 'short cut'; get a 4 door explorer and pull some pieces from there:

1st decide what era of Ranger you are wanting to work with, and what wheelbase. Most likely you are going to have to shorten the box. Which might not be a bad place to start (cutting up a $200 box only to lose enthusiasm is much less expensive than destroying a $5k running truck...) Note: working with clean steel is 1000% easier than rusty metal)

Cut the Ranger cab back off,​
Cut the Explorer just ahead of B pillar and weld it to the Ranger cab (you have to section ~2" out as the Explorer is wider than the Ranger.​
With the B pillar in place, you can use what will be the front door to help hold everything in line (and it ensures the doors open/close when you're done.​
The rear Explorer door adds some challenges. The door is really too long (unless you really want to stretch the frame) and it is curved for the rear wheel. My plan was to graft on the back of the front door after removing the 'moon' window from the rear Explorer door.​
Then my plan was to reinstall the back of the Ranger cab, and start worrying about interior.​
If I didn't hate the curve of the cab back of the Explorer Sport Trac so much, that would be the easier solution...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals