• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

day to re-arrange the furniture ...

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
If you keep the flue temps high enough you will not have an issue with creosote buildup. The problem with burning pine is there is a lot of moisture, and if not seasoned properly it will not burn out enough and you will get creosote buildup. That's also why it can be very smokey and smelly.

Other types of wood do not take nearly as long to season, this is why pine gets a wrap for being bad to burn.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
.. and I guess, as long as you're burning hardwoods too, the creosote doesn't build up as bad as if it was ONLY pine

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
FYI: burning pine in a fireplace is a bad thing to do. #chimneyfires. Creosote build up from the pine sap collects in the flue and becomes highly flammable and when the creosote gets wet, it creates a toxic odor that can cause nausea and sickness and that same toxic combination will eat away the mortar between the bricks causing chimney collapses. If you have a metal flue, your chances are less, but not 0%.

EDIT: A also live in Florida where chimney's are more aesthetic than functional, but I did clean chimneys in the Florida Panhandle for about 15 years. Your area is definitely different than mine and you may know more about fireplaced/chimneys than I do, because you own one and I only cleaned them. I have seen the damage a chimney fire can do. They can be isolated the the chimney/flue, or they can destroy a whole house. Either way damage is done to a chimney that has had a fire.
All true, so I try to keep the pine to a minimum, just kindling and re-kindling. Yes it's a metal flute, and not sure if it helps, but I do the creosote log burn routine thing, mind the spark arrester and whatnot....more importantly, the drill sharpener sucked...on a good note, my home teams won.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
I do season the wood quite a bit. It's mostly oak and pine around here....so I just harvest stuff as it breaks off naturally...so it's probably pre seasoned...sometimes the oak will have little worms in em, I like watching em burn...

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I tried the drill doctor, thought it was a POS. Following the instructions, the have a really nice angle on them but are still very dull.

I've been told they can work quite well, but not if you follow the instructions. A guy at the shop spent quite a while messing around with one to figure out the best way to use it. He is now the drill bit guy.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Those creosote logs are a joke. Have your chimney cleaned twice a year ( once a year down here ) with a real chimney brush. you can get them online with extendable quick connectors for however tall your flue is & you can get different size & shape brush heads to fit your set up.

If you plan on doing this yourself, get a good shop-vac with a long enough hose that will allow you to put the vac outside to suck up all the stuff that the brushes knock down. Slow and steady keeps your inside furniture from turning black

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
FYI: burning pine in a fireplace is a bad thing to do. #chimneyfires. Creosote build up from the pine sap collects in the flue and becomes highly flammable and when the creosote gets wet, it creates a toxic odor that can cause nausea and sickness and that same toxic combination will eat away the mortar between the bricks causing chimney collapses. If you have a metal flue, your chances are less, but not 0%.

EDIT: A also live in Florida where chimney's are more aesthetic than functional, but I did clean chimneys in the Florida Panhandle for about 15 years. Your area is definitely different than mine and you may know more about fireplaced/chimneys than I do, because you own one and I only cleaned them. I have seen the damage a chimney fire can do. They can be isolated the the chimney/flue, or they can destroy a whole house. Either way damage is done to a chimney that has had a fire.

Wood that hasn't had enough time to cure properly will cause creosote problems as well. Not as bad a pine but it's still an issue. Minimum cure time from green to ready to use is one year for split wood. Longer for whole wood since there is less exposed wood area to release the moisture.

I prefer 2 years. One rack for a year. The next rack for a year. And then the rack I use for fires. Rinse and repeat but my firewood needs are low. For someone who heats with wood, this method would not be user friendly but the same principle applies.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Furniture makes great kindling.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
A lot of furniture is made of Pine.

Now we have come full circle.
Yes. And also solved the furniture re arranging problem.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals