• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Daughters 1st Truck

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You need a Haynes Manual or a Chilton's. They're not color coded but after you pour over them awhile you might begin to sort those plugs and wires out.
After you get one sorted you'll begin to get on a roll, and the others can also begin to fall into place.
Sorting out wiring can be very difficult, but it is still something you can do if you put your mind to it.
I do wish you well with it

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
The two black ones and the plug are on the passenger fender under the hood and the larger bundle of cut wires are in the driver's side under the hood. The larger bundle looks like it runs along the drivers side of the intake manifold and may go to some sensors.
In the chopped-up bundle on the intake; Orange/yellow goes to the 3/4 shift solenoid, Purple/yellow controls torque converter lockup, and Red feeds power to the other side of both of those solenoids, all 3 of these will not be needed for a manual trans and can be capped off. Red/Light blue and Pink should be connected together, they would be to a neutral safety switch that a manual trans does not have, in addition to connecting these together, under the dash there will be a plug around the area of the clutch pedal with a cap installed, remove this cap and plug it into the switch on the clutch master cylinder to have a safety or if you want to be able to start it in gear just leave the plug in the cap and move on. Black/Pink and Purple/Orange would run the reverse lights, there will be a switch on the upper left side of the trans, this is what it controls. that should about cover that one, when I get another minute I'll go after the other plugs. Hopefully that helps

oBIODOSEo

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
33x12.50 20
In the chopped-up bundle on the intake; Orange/yellow goes to the 3/4 shift solenoid, Purple/yellow controls torque converter lockup, and Red feeds power to the other side of both of those solenoids, all 3 of these will not be needed for a manual trans and can be capped off. Red/Light blue and Pink should be connected together, they would be to a neutral safety switch that a manual trans does not have, in addition to connecting these together, under the dash there will be a plug around the area of the clutch pedal with a cap installed, remove this cap and plug it into the switch on the clutch master cylinder to have a safety or if you want to be able to start it in gear just leave the plug in the cap and move on. Black/Pink and Purple/Orange would run the reverse lights, there will be a switch on the upper left side of the trans, this is what it controls. that should about cover that one, when I get another minute I'll go after the other plugs. Hopefully that helps
That helps a ton! Thank you!

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Man, you got lucky! :) That kind of help is hard to find. I hope you'll still keep an eye for loose wires or things that may short. Even dig a little, around the head and tail lights too, places where could have just gotten snagged. It only takes one to overheat and start a chain reaction
Best wishes with it :)

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
The two large black wires on a plug go directly to battery negative.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
That 3 wire plug is proving to be elusive, from what I can tell it appears to be a test port as one of the wires could be a tach signal (Tan/Yellow), the other two I cannot find in any diagram that I have access to, at least that make sense as to why they're in the engine compartment. You could test for continuity between that Tan/Yellow wire and the wire of the same color at the ignition coil, if you do, that's what it is. Either way the truck should run fine without that plug connected.

oBIODOSEo

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
33x12.50 20
Ok. I'll test them. Thank you for all the help it's greatly appreciated! The bigger bundle already has the ones you suggested twisted together. I'll be using Solder seals to make a more permanent weather proof connection. Hoping to have it fired up and driving this weekend!

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The only T/Y I've found goes to a left rear speaker, and it was on the final electrical diagram

Last edited:

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
The only T/Y I've found goes to a left rear speaker, and it was on the final electrical diagram
That would have run inside the cab under the carpet, the front speaker wires on second gen trucks run out the main cab bulkhead to the radiator support then split there and run along the outside of the inner fenders to the doors, it's weird.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
...it's weird.
Yep. Just because the place you found the wire isn't logical doesn't necessarily men you're wrong. They were designed to be easier/cheaper to assemble in bulk. Makes for some .. odd.. layouts.

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
1991 Ford Explorer, Ranger Body/Electrical OEM Truck Shop Manual Very Good | eBay

At $16 and free shipping I'd grab it right now - but - if you can find the set of 2 (the other one being engine/drivetrain) get them both because they really are a set, this is half of it.

I pd $40 for mine (both) and I'd say never was it better spent.

Google search turns up Ford wiring diagrams too, but pricey $99 I don't think you need it if you have the shop manuals
1991 Ford Ranger Large Format Wiring Diagrams Manual (diyrepairmanuals.com)

I think a set of Ford shop manuals will cover most things you'd want. Granted there are other tech publications referred to in places, but with just those primary bibles you would be way ahead of the game.

Luckily there seems to be answers to every question at this site.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals