• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dash discoloration

DisturbedMXer8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Over the years, my Tan dash has started to discolor and turn dark brown right by the far left hand vent, exactly where the sun shines through and bakes there every day. It's definitely due to the sun, because it's colored along the line of my carpet dash cover, which you can see is still fine underneath. Does anyone know of something I can use on my dash to help slow this process down? It's not cracking or splitting... yet. I'd really like for this dash to last forever, if possible, so any guesses or past experiences on protecting it would be much appreciated.

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I had the same problems with my tan dash, i pulled it and color matched some vinyl paint and painted it, looks as good as new. i can get some pics if you like

DisturbedMXer8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
So is the discoloration something to worry about? Is it a form of deterioration? I'm more worried about it turning into cracks and splits like you see on all of the old 'yotas and nissans. I can always pull it out and paint it down the line, I just don't want it to fall apart, haha.

gungfudan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
Yes it is something to worry about if not taken care of soon it can cause your dash to start cracking and spliting. Go to http://www.lmctruck.com and go to ford ranger online catalog and order some of the COLORBOND paint. It is a uv protectant paint and it is pretty much a perfect match. It is $15 dollars a can there. I just did some seaching for you and you can get it for $10.96 + shipping. I am going to give you the direct link to it because they do not have it marked on the list so you can see. You have to click on each one and look at the description. here is the link; http://www.partstrain.com/store/details/Univ/Color_Bond/Interior_Cleaner/CLB256.html?vdesc=true
You can also buy it at http://www.drivewire.com.

parts train might have cheaper shipping.

since you have to wait on it to arrive at your house. I would buy some armor all protectant and use it on the dash to help in the mean time.

Make sure you read all you the instructions on the can it is not like a normal spray paint. it is very easy to use though don't let the instruction intemidate you.

You want to nip this in the butt before it gets worse. mine was already fading and splitting when i got the truck. Luckly LMC Truck sells a slip on cover that looks exactly the same as the dash.

Last edited:

AmericanPride

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not sure if you're still needing this but, what about hydro dipping? Seals it up and is 100% UV usually. If you have a small crack/split, just fill it before dipping.

My local place does AMAZING work and it's not second mortgage on the house kind of cost at all.

http://liquidtransformations.com/

They also do Cerakote gun finishes. Don't ask how I know ;-)

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hydro Graphing is most definitely a great option. Best part is it is 100% customizable. PM me if your interested! We do great work, some samples of our work is posted in our Vender spot!

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
Well, if you just want to slow the processes down just buy a sunvisor...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals