• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dans 94, RCSB, 4.0, 4x4, 5spd

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I would get rid of the coil spring twister lift thingys... no good can come from that.

Search the Tech Library for "washer lift". Far better choice IMHO then those coil spring twisters.
It’a definitely on the list of things to fix, figured it would be better to get a 2” lift spring instead of another spacer lift.
How much do you think those twisty dudes add height wise?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I don't really know... but not much. The only thing I've ever done with them is remove and toss in the trash can.

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Maybe tomorrow I’ll pop them out and measure just for fun.

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Finally got all the AC parts together and got it blowing cold. Had a heck of a time getting some of the QDs back together without the Orings getting beat up. Ended up replacing the Orings on one connecting three times. I tried everything I could think of including preoiling them, oiling the female tube end, and gently working them on. Finally got it tho. Blows nice and cold but now the engines getting warm, I think I might need to drop the fan temp switch to a 170*on instead of a 190* seems to take forever to activate.

Also might need to find some of the foam that was sorta sealing the condenser and radiator together. There’s almost an inch gap between them which I know isn’t good for the fans airflow.

Attachments

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
This morning I fired it up and the mild belt squeak I’ve been chasing was more of a squealing pig. Seemed like it was from the alternator so I raced down to my shop and grabbed the other used one I had, along with the spare used idler pulley. Slapped them on, and the noise got worse. So new round of parts ordered! Water pump, 130amp alternator, idler pulley, new belt, and tensioner. One of those ought to fix the problem, along with giving a little more power to handle the load of the E fan, and future auxiliary lighting.

Also unfortunately found that the AC wasn’t blowing cold. Need to hit the system with a black light, but I’m guessing that it’s the high side valve stem that gave me trouble when vacuuming the system down. Thought I had it sealed since it held vacuum for an hour but I suppose not.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
...130amp alternator, idler pulley, new belt...
If your 130 amp alternator is like mine the pulley on it is slightly smaller than the stock 94 part. Combined with a belt from O'Reillys that was 1/2 inch longer than spec caused some serious noise.

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
If your 130 amp alternator is like mine the pulley on it is slightly smaller than the stock 94 part. Combined with a belt from O'Reillys that was 1/2 inch longer than spec caused some serious noise.
I’ll have to look for that when it comes in, I have an 87.5” belt on it and I bought a 86” belt thinking maybe I could tighten it up a bit but it’s atleast an inch to small on the current setup. Maybe it will fit if the pulley ends up being smaller

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Got the belt squeak to go away! Ended up replacing a bunch of stuff. The water pump that was on it looked newish from the outside but inside was a whole different story! I think I may have been failing or the thermostat had been sticking because both looked awful! Upgraded to a 180* Tstat, Gates premium water pump, new thermostat housing/neck, and a new 130amp alternator!
Trucks running much cooler and quieter now!

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
More progress over the last week or two.

fixed the 4x4 finally! There was a ground under the carpet not attached to anything so the module wasn’t working correctly. Now it works great and I’m pretty happy with the shift on the fly system.

Also, welded in some tie down points in the bed, as well as a piece of pipe to the front frame where that flimsy sheet metal crossmember usually sits. My crossmember had been ripped apart when I got it so I hacked it out and now have a solid 3/8” thiccc pipe to hook recovery ropes to and for frame reinforcement.

Almost forgot the most important safety upgrade which was the intermediate steering shaft rebuild with new rag joints on each end.

Attachments

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Finally got to hits some trails in Ocala this weekend and the truck did excellent! Only really needed 4x4 for a couple obstacles but still had a blast on its first outing. That is until the Chinese POS Electric fan completely quit. I bench tested it and it appears to have died so I have a derale replacment on the way. The good news is as long as I can maintain about 15-20mpg the big radiator and 180 Tstat keep the truck nice and cool even without the fan so it never got hot.

Truck definitely needs more parts to be better offroad but even as is it’s a blast. 4.10s and posis are definitely next. Then some suspension tweaking, and good god it needs shocks!

Attachments

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Got a set of rock sliders from a neighbor a few months back. They were off a YJ and fairly well beat, one was bent, and the other kinda twisted. I finally got the time to spend a could days and get them fit in installed on my ranger. I think they came out good, nice and tucked up above the frame and they don’t stick out further than the tires.

I decided to pick up this golf cart today using the ranger just to see if it would do it. The 3.27 gears and these 32”s is pitiful up hills even with the trailer empty, but it did make it there and back. However, I think the slave cylinder is possibly leaking, or the clutch is dead. It’s difficult getting into first, reverse grinds, and sometimes the gears in between are tough as well. I topped the master off with fluid today and it didn’t seem to help so tomorrow I’ll need to investigate further.

Attachments

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Almost forgot the weekend before last I went to a local 4x4 park and get the poor thing all sorts of twisted up in some off camber holes. It really surprised me for having open diffs front and rear, but check out that bed to cab flex 😂

Attachments

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Picked up 4.56 gears front and rear, along with front and rear master build kits and a lockright for the front axle today for $500 on market place. Also Ordered a new traclok rebuild kit so I can tighten up the factory lsd I have laying around. Tight posi in the rear and a locker up front ought to be plenty of traction, the 4.56 gears are gonna feel so good I can’t wait to get cracking on everything!
Oh also found a set of mustang rear disks for free from a buddy, just need to snag brackets

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
After 2,500 miles on the new motor I did some basic maintenance, new plugs, a good full synthetic oil, fuel filter, and air filter. I was super happy to see the spark plugs are very clean! As was the fuel filter, and the oil filter when I cut them open to inspect.

I also bought a set of 34x9.5x15”Narrow TSLs on market place, 5 tires with 90% tread or better and a late 2021 date code for $1,100, these tires are $486 each on 4wheel parts. I had them mounted to a set ofnew stock ranger 15x7” steelies that my buddy powdered in Cadillac metallic grey. They take the same center caps as my crown Vic wheels so I get to keep the same look for the most part. I had to trim the rock sliders a bunch to clear the big meats, butas of now, daily driving situations are rub free, it will get better when I get new radius arms and push the axle centerline forward a tad.

After the new tires I decided to start on a winch bumper, spent half the day making the winch fit behind the stock bumper. Then went to lunch in my Tacoma and remembered that I like big steel bumpers with full headlight hoops, incase someone acts dumb in front of me and needs a nudge. So I pulled the stock bumper back off and started cleaning up the frame horns for a bumper made of 4x6 and 4x4 steel beams I have laying around. The goal is max clearance, with the ability to run a cut down push bar in the middle, and use that to have the headlight hoops attach too. Would also like to have some good fog lights cut into the bumper, but might have to use something smaller than a 4” pod unless they will fit in the 4x4 beam.

Attachments

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The 3.27 gears and 34” swampers finally caught up to me. Clutch gave out so I pulled the trans and transfer case to have rebuilt. I planned to have the 2.3/3.0 gears put in it but….. the guy rebuilding it unfortunately passed away and the shop called a different guy in who was uninformed of my gear request. No biggy I am very pleased with how well it shifts now. I ended up replacing everything that I could including the clutch hydraulics, trans mount, motor mounts, and lot of other odds and ends. I even had the headers coated, and the resealed the rear main which had already been replaced but was leaking.

Next step before I even drive it to work again will be regear, it’s so pathetic with the 3.27s I don’t want to hurt the clutch again. I think I’m gonna skip the front locker and sell it to recoup a few bucks, I was not expecting to have the trans and T case fully rebuilt so soon.

I did however finish the front bumper a few weeks before the clutch died and I’m pretty happy with it. Here’s a bunch of random photos with the new bumper.
IMG_7512.jpeg
IMG_7397.jpeg
IMG_7198.jpeg
IMG_7083.jpeg
IMG_7084.jpeg
IMG_7080.jpeg
IMG_7081.jpeg
IMG_7073.jpeg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals