• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Danna 35 ttb.

spanky50

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4" rough country
Tire Size
32" cooper STT
How can you get a limited slip carrier? getting ready to regear my 4x4, going to pull a part soon

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
You're not going to find one in a junkyard. They don't exist unless someone junked a truck that had an aftermarket limited slip installed. Easiest just to buy a new carrier assembly.

A while back there was a discussion on here about factory front limited slips. Supposedly they were an option in certain years but would be incredibly rare in any case.

spanky50

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4" rough country
Tire Size
32" cooper STT
I thought i hear of using one out of a jeep d35

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The best I can say is maybe. There is some similarity between the Jeep Dana 35 and the Ford Dana 35 SLA but tread lightly. There is standard rotation and reverse rotation. D35 SLA is standard rotation. I believe the splines are the same (27) and axle shaft size. The only thing I'm not sure of is if limited slip is directionally biased. Being that I've seen some listed as rear only, I'm thinking they may be. Or they at least might lock better in one direction compared to the other. I know the Torsen LSD is specific to the D35 SLA. So, there is a difference but I don't know if there is enough of one that you couldn't get one made for a Jeep to work.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
@sgtsandman & @spanky50

Depending on the exact model of limited slip, there may/may not be differential bias.

If you get a Jeep Trac-Lok differential carrier/gears and plates, you would have the equivalent to what comes in the standard Ford 7.5 or 8.8 limited slip (non Torsen ones). And you might be able to find one in a yard. However, you would have to confirm if it fits in your TTB pumpkin i.e. I've never tried it. Note: There are a couple different carriers for the Dana 35 depending on gears installed. Also, a limited slip is a little "sketchy" in front as it is acting as a locker until forced to release - not exactly what you want in the front axle.

The Eaton Trutrac and Torsen both use directionally biased gears - i.e. they provide torque balancing when installed in correct location - front or rear, and when being spun forward (they don't work as well in reverse).
But the guys over at the Ranger Rover forums figured out if you disassemble the carrier and put the right side gears in the left side and the left side in the right, it reverses the bias. So, they stopped paying exorbitant prices for the front carrier, and just bought 2 rear ones! (I believe it voids warrantee, so caveat emptor). Torque biasing differentials are much better in front (and/or transfer case) differentials as they account for different radius of travel when cornering on hard surfaces without restricting motion.​

The Ford and Jeep Trac-Lok differentials function by allowing "limited slip". While the Trutrac and Torsen bias torque, so they aren't really "limited slip". The result might be similar most of the time, but the differences are important for things like steering on pavement and/or ice (the 2 extremes).

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Well, seems to be the answer. I didn’t know you could swap the gears and have them fit in the gear driven ones. I think I might have to investigate that further since I do not want to put a locker in an SLA. Not unless I want to start carrying the tools and spare half shafts when one snaps.

It might give the OP all the info he was looking for as well.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I researched it awhile ago, I am sure my posts are out there if you dig.

Moral of the story is in theory a Jeep carrier will fit. They had a carrier break, only like 3.55 or deeper carriers will work in the TTB D35.

I never got brave enough to try it.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I added an extra spider gear shim to each side of a d-28 and got limited slip. Worked awesome in snow but on hills you had to watch if crossing sideways. I didnt drive it enough on pavement to notice any bad but I dont drive like an idiot either. I only took it out to the mountains twice before I got sold it. Did the same thing to a 9" rear for cheap lsd.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals