• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dana chop & fab help!!!!

4speedfunk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Hummer
Transmission
Automatic
This is a weird one...and I need some axle fab help...

I'm putting a GM Dana 44 (low pin / pass drop) under the front end of my Hummer H3. The kicker is...it won't be a solid axle. Instead I'm chopping the D44 very short, and I want to put flanges on each end of it to mate up with GM IFS half-shafts from a full-size truck. So I'll be getting rid of the inner-Cs, and all of the brakes, hubs, steering, and such. When its done...the D44 will have one axle-shaft about 6" long...and the other about 24" long. It will be mounted with some bushings to the frame like any normal IFS rig. Axle shafts will be custom made with flanges to mate up to the CV flanges.

Obviously...I'll need to install a race, a bearing, and a seal, at the ends of the tubes. Not sure what is the best method to retain the axles...but, space is at a premium! I need the shortest possible method as I have limited space on the passenger side. In fact...I may end up installing the race, bearing, and seal in the side of pumpkin!

My questions are:
How do I retain the axles?...C-clips or bolt-in axles? I will be using an Eaton E-locker diff. and 4.88 gears.
Where can I buy these parts?...Figured you Dana folks might know where.

Thanks.

Last edited:

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Perhaps I'm misssing something here but would it not be easier to use the diff from the full size ifs truck and shorten the shafts to suit.

4speedfunk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Hummer
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah I wish it were that easy. I gotta have a pass-side drop, and I'm not aware of any full-size IFS systems that would fit the bill. The D44 gives me a ton of locker and gearing options too...something that factory IFS rigs are lacking.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
The only thing I can think of is to use the outer axle tube sections from a rear 44 and then use the rear shafts cut down and re-splined to suit. The spinner could be turned down to match the flanges of the original shafts. That's a lot of work, but whatever you do keep us posted, pictures would be nice. good luck.

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
sounds like alot of work,to still have the weak link of the CV's.step gears and big tires is going to put the TQ multiplication of duramax type power on those CV's.just my thoughts.

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
as you figured,the race,bearing and seal for the right hand axle will be in the casting.if you use parts from a early 80s ttb d44 and have your center casting machined to fit(or better yet,remove the axle tube and machine a sleeve to fit)you will find these use a taper bearing with a shrink sleeve to retain the axle,and a bolt on plate to retain the whole assembly.for the longside you have more options,but i would probably go with a shinksleeve and taper bearing setup from a 9" ford rearend to keep both sides similar.this will require some serious machine work and planning,but anything can be done.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals