• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dana 60 into 94 explorer pics/info

68Mercury250Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 / 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
I am planning to build a different offroader for this spring. :yahoo:
I have one 4dr xlt explorer that runs great but rotten from the rear doors back.

I have a 79 Dana 60 with 4.09s and a detroit locker already in.
a dana 70 with powerlock and 5.13s , and I have a new set of 5.13 gears 60-7F still in the box. have good 36" belted TSLs for it on 8bolt 16.5s

wondering who has done a solid 60 in front of a ranger or explorer in TTB 35 vintage.

Tips ,opinions from people who have actually done it would be awesome. Opinions from people who haven't not required but may be humourous.

I only have experience with fullsize Fords for offroad trucks, thats why I already have the proven axles.

Thanks in advance:icon_cheers:

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
The TTB to SA swap isn't as bad as a full out IFShit to SA swap.

Check the tech library.

You plannin on leafs or coils?

1badexplorer

Firefighter
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 501, 7.3psd, 351c, 351w
Transmission
Manual
if you plan to run coils, You can use the same set up that was in my 93 eploder. I actually used the whole frame instead of fabbing mounts for both motorand trans also. But mine had 79 bronco 351, 4spd, 205, and 60 rear. For the front I took the wedges off a 76 and older style 44 and welded them to my 60,then i just put it in using the stock raduis arms and track ber from the 79. If every one uses the this ame set of raduis arms, mounts, and brackets to swap in a 44 I don't see why you couldn't use them on a 60. Asfer as steering, I originally had a dana 44 crossover steering just lengthed on both ends of the tierod (a 60 is about 4" wider than a 44) and used it, but astock power steering won't turn 44s so I went full hydo but you shouldn't have a need for that. If you do leafs (which is what I just did on my new wheeler), you may run into problems (like I did) being you must use the cast on spring perch that on the 60. I out my springs halfway under the frame and I had to fab up some new custom hangers and shakels, I can post pics of my new hangers if you decide to run leafs sorry I do not have any pics of my ale when it was coils but thats a pretty straight forward setup.

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Just a thought - The swap isn't worth it if you're only gonna run 36" rubber. You're better off selling the 60 and 70. With a fraction of the money and a little work you can build the Dana 35 that's in there to turn 36s all day long locked, and flex good enough to net 1000+ on the RTI.

As for the 8.8, that thing is just about bulletproof for turning 36s.

If you still wanna do the swap, look in the Tech library. The overall process is similar to swapping a 44 in, and there are many articles on that. Do you plan on leaves or springs?

68Mercury250Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 / 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
I was thinking of using the front axle and brackets from a 78 Bronco, for the front. Reinforced the idea going through the tech section. then welding on radius arm C brackets to the 60 once I'm ready.

the rear would just be leafs .

As for the strength of a 35 and the 8.8 I'm not that convinced that they would take the traction of 36s......

I have the 60 and 70 anyway, and I have never even blown a ujoint out of them even in fullsize Fords

My last offroader was a 77.5 supercab shortbed 60 detroit 70 detroit rear 4.10s, skyjacker 6" leafs drop pitman, drop draglink, and 38/16.5/12.5 belted. tweaked 351m 4spd/205.. It went everywhere the smaller trucks went, but I wasn't really worried about body damage:icon_rofl:

thanks for the input guys.

1badexplorer: any pics of the 60 coil in that explorer?

cheers for mud and rocks:icon_cheers:

1badexplorer

Firefighter
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

1badexplorer: any pics of the 60 coil in that explorer?
No sorry I cut all the brackets off and switched back to leafs. It was a pretty easy install though, I cut off the shock mounts and pass spring perch. Then just put the wedges on the axle and set the proper pinion angle with it in the truck. Then I just pulled everything out and welded it all in. If you search on google images, there are a few articles from a fullsize bronco forum that gves details and pics of this instal, thats where I got the idea originally. But after a few years of wheeling it I have realized that stock c bushings, raduis arm bushings and track bar do not hold up to 44s unless ulike to change the bushings every 2rides.

68Mercury250Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 / 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
I will have to check out some more install pics.

44s bring a whole new torque and twist to your suspension. I only ever ran 38s before with nothing under 4.10, and I can't say I ever had trail breakage.
One of my buddies had some 42 swampers and that thing was amazing. but never on a coil spring/cbushing front. Trac bar bushings always seem to be a problem.
myself I liked strong axles/shafts/lockers,, and not too much power.

hopefully I can get the explorer into the shop soon, we are burried with snow right now and nothing is mobile. Broken down loader tractor in shop tonite. Dad fried the starter after running it out of fuel clearing snow:annoyed:

I'm the family mechanic:sad:

1badexplorer

Firefighter
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yea I know what you mean, I've got a list of projects a mile long, along with my normal job and school. 44s deffinatly tear up some parts. I've got piles of broken stuff to prove it. But when everything holds together it's basically point and go :icon_hornsup:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
As for the strength of a 35 and the 8.8 I'm not that convinced that they would take the traction of 36s......
Probably depends on what kind of a driver you are. Pedal-to-the-metal, balls-out romping on it, no, definitely not. Careful driving with some finesse, no problem.

If you have the 60 & 70, no reason not to use 'em. You likely won't break them no matter how you drive on 36s.

Check in the "Xtreme Suspensions" and "RBVs Under Construction" sections, there should be at least a few SAS threads by users here that used a D60 (This one was still on the 1st page in Xtreme). :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals