• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dana 44 Info Needed

morbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I found out why people say the Ford calipers suck. I just went to RockAuto and looked at F150 and F250 single piston calipers to see if some listed piston diameter. Both are 2.872" diameter. The only difference is the caliper bodies. I also looked up the piston diameter of the Ford dual piston and shockingly the dual piston has less total piston surface area that the F150/F250 single piston. Since its all about pressure on surface area, the Ford dual piston is the worst possible option apparently. I should have researched this instead of assuming duals had more area. I am ordering that Lugnut kit right now and choosing the JB6 option. I can always swap in JB7s later (caliper housing, mounting bolt pattern, and pads are the same) but damn the surface area really jumps up and i dont want to be in a situation where i need to upgrade to a larger master and booster. i been down that road already also. swapping master bore size isnt a big deal for me, but my particular rigs cannot fit a larger than factory booster because the steering shaft is in the way. also the JB7 might be too good even if my pedal was satisfactory with them. i wouldnt want my front doing all the work and am hesitant to pair JB7s with a drum brake rear.

Actually i already have new JB6 calipers from before deciding to convert it back to Ford, so im ordering the kit right now with JB7s. I'll try the JB7s and if something isnt cool with them, slap on the JB6s i already have and it being a direct swap i wouldnt lose anything.

F250 dual piston = 2" each piston. Total surface area = 6.28sq inches (3.14sq inches per piston)
F150 and F250 single piston = 2.872". Total surface area = 6.47sq inches
Chevy JB6 calipers = 2.938". Total surface area = 6.79sq inches
Chevy JB7 calipers = 3.156". Total surface area = 7.82sq inches

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
I prefer lugnut....only have had bolt issues....

I run the jb 6 on the rear of my ranger.

Been thinking of going to his e brake style out back and jb7 out front.

My bronco is drums all around... But low pinion 5 lug and mid bearing 9 in ..so a pia to convert ... Have a deal working on a set of 79 bronco axles....if that goes good....likely full float the 9 and cut down the 44 high pinion....

Because...
I want rcv shafts.

morbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I didnt think 78 and 79 D44s could be cut down due to the cast radius arm wedges. You'd have to buy spindles anyway to use the lugnut kit. And spending $$$ on RCVs, so at that point i'd buy Reid knuckles and high steer it while i was at it. High steer is another reason to avoid the cast wedge axles. All the D44 trac bar risers are for the weld on style. I'm running into that very issue right now and not sure how or if i'll be able to work around it. I'll see how bad it looks when put back together as high steer but pretty sure the radius arm angle is going to lead to bump steer if i dont raise it and i see no easy way to do that on the cast wedge axles. Wild Horses and James Duff make weld on risers for the weld on wedge type axles but they wont work on the cast type.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
I don't care about cast....just shit can the whole tube....and make what I want.

Yeah....I have the tiny 6 hole spindles....so one way or another I have to upgrade.

Might just put 60 outers on the hp 44 with a 35 spline locker...and 60 shafts....rcv cost too much to run in 60 flavor though.

Lighter and more ground clearance...I would murder a 200 dollar super duty axle for such a thing...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals