• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dana 44 high steer knuckles?

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So I was doing a little research and it seems I need certain Chevy or Jeep knuckles for high steer. The 2 sites I found said there is no enoungh room on Ford knuckles to mount the brackets. And based on the pictures they provided, I believe them. The problem is my knuckles don't look like the ones posted. And look to me to have enough room. Can anyone shed some light here?

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Those are the same knuckles on my Dana 44. I just went out and checked. If you want I can take a pic right side up

But those are not flat top knuckles.

You need chevy/Jeep knuckles.

Here is the flat top knuckle chart...

Swapping the Knuckles Out for high steer and 5 on 5.5" wheel bolt pattern: You've Three options

Option 1: Use a mix of Chevy/FSJ and Ford parts. You'll need a Chevy or Full Size Jeep Dana 44 flat top knuckles, spindle, caliper mount plate and outer axle shaft from a 73-76, see chart for exact years and BOM. To convert these to the Ford 5 on 5.5” (also the same bolt pattern as a Jeep CJ, Scout II and many other vehicles) you’ll need a 1976-1984 or 1987-1995 Ford hub, rotor and bearing. My suggestion is use 76-79 parts, but you can use an 80’s Ford IFS Dana 44 (minus 1986 and some 85 as they had a unique style.) Pull the hub with the bearings, rotor and lock-out. Any standard Dana 44 ½ ton or Chevy ½ ton 10 bolt axle lock outs should work, and spare are always good.

Option 2: Use only Ford parts. One catch, you'll need a 1/2 Super-Cab knuckle, see above General misconceptions table for reason. If you have a nice Ford 1/2 ton axle with new calipers and rotor I suggest just find in a knuckle from a 1/2 Super-Cab, as that is the only part you'll need. (Note to self, check spindle part numbers in Dana book to confirm this) Or you can just grab the entire Knuckles Out from a 1/2 Super-Cab and bolt it up to your inner knuckle.

Option 3: Run IHC or Dodge parts. Because of the IHC 8 bolt spindle and the limited years plus the few truck produced I don't recommend this option. Save those knuckles for the Scout guys, plus you've have to swap knuckles out and the parts cast more. Dodge parts knuckles out because of the uniqueness of them(?), years are 1980.5 - 93 and 86 and up is an auto or fulltime hub.

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I know all that. I've done the research. And apparently there are 2 differen styles and mine can be machined so I am in luck.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Yes Dustin, you have the style that can be machined to run high steer...and for your application you will be fine :icon_thumby:
SVT

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I can run high steer with my knuckles too???

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Maybe...post up a pic and I'll tell ya. But you can pretty much tell offhand if you can. Look at a high steer arm, and if you have about the same shape next to the BJ, then you can have it machined flat and drilled/tapped for the high steer arm...The knuckles that can't be used for high steer have considerable less material around the BJ...
SVT

kroussinoffroad

October 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ferd
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ive been debating on going highsteer or just over the knuckle steering. looks like the highsteer isnt in the cards for me right now as there is still alot that needs to be done before summer rolls around.

Ford78

December 2012 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Manual
I put did cross over on mine axle. Its out of a 79 F250

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ive been debating on going highsteer or just over the knuckle steering. looks like the highsteer isnt in the cards for me right now as there is still alot that needs to be done before summer rolls around.
I will be doing it, but its not in the cards for me right now either.

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Here are mine.....from a 78 F150

There is a place to put highsteer arms next to the BJ, BUT the material thickness there is way too thin IMHO.

I have the same knuckles as the 1st two pictures. But I have always been told you cannot mill and tap these...not enough material. Have to use 3/4 ton knuckles or buy Reid Dedenbear knuckles....or switch to shevy knuckles.

This is just what I have been told, I have not done much research on it.

Whats this about being to different types? One mill/tappable and the other style not?

Last edited:

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There is a place to put highsteer arms next to the BJ, BUT the material thickness there is way too thin IMHO.
Exactly what I thought:)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals