• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dana 44 and Ford 9" Swap

94STXRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 302
Transmission
Manual
dude that will be bump steer like crazy wont it? Everytime that axle moves up or down the toe will change dramatically.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Get a tapered reamer, ream the knuckles so the tie rods will sit on top of the knuckle instead of underneath, and run the stock EB steering ATLEAST. Throw the ranger stuff away.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I'd have to agree. Though it would ''work'', that's some of the worst steering geometry I've seen, 2nd only to my buddy's Chevy that is up 12'' w/ steering for a 4'' lift...

What you've got would really only be good to move the truck around the shop if needed, while you were waiting on parts to be shipped.

Measure your truck knuckle to knuckle, and PS knuckle to pitman arm. Then go look around a local j-yard, see if you can find something to fit. Jeeps are probably your best bet...

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
The jeep setup is better because the tie rod is much much longer, making the toe change not as bad. your toe change is going to be rediculous with that setup. I would also run the stock early bronco setup. you can check out my build here. http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=30048 Current BII, although I have built 3 other RBV's and multiple jeeps.

CBC

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
bronco steering (atleast the stuff i got and the bronco i have looked at) will not work on a ranger with out cutting it down alot. b/c the the gear box is on the out side of the frame. but i will look in to all the stuff yall said and let u know something. i was thinking about riding a ram steering or hydro steering

Last edited:

b_aldredeg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
looks like you all had fun working on this i new he was doing it just got around tonight and looked at it not bad at all might have to find me some axels one day and do it to mine

JeepRecoveryTeam

May 2009 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
xlt ranger
Engine Size
Cummins 6bt
Transmission
Manual
build your own.

kemicalburns

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
your steering setup is unsafe. you need to run a crossover type setup or a solid axle steering setup. the TTB steering is going to cause tremendous bump steer as well.

jzranger4x4

Reaction score
CBC,
I'm hoping you can help me with some info. On your build pics you have a shorter front drive shaft laying next to the original("off something ford"). What vehicle was the donor? Does it have a part number that I may be able to cross reference? My stock shaft is just a little too long.

I want to use "factory" parts if possible rather than custom in case of breakage. It's easier for me to go to the junkyard and pull one than to get one made.

My truck is using a 1991 Ford Explorer front drive shaft(1354 manual t-case) on a Dana 44 from a 78 Bronco. The axle wasn't moved forward, just swapped.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals