• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dana 35 Steering knuckle stud options?

94CRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hi All,

First time post, so don't slam me if this isn't where this should go. Plus, I haven't found much info on this and was wondering if anyone has ever had this issue or heard of a safe solution. I have a 94 3.0L 4wd and am in the midst of replacing the upper and lower balljoints, and here's what happened

I went to torque down the nuts that hold the spindle to the steering knuckle and, like a rookie apprentice, over torqued the nut and snapped the steering knuckle stud. I've checked local auto parts stores, online, and local auto wreckers and I can't even seem to find this gen of ford trucks with the Dana 35 to steal the knuckle, let alone the studs, from. I also tried a steering knuckle stud from a Dana 44 and the splines near the head of the stud didn't taper like the Dana 35 stud does, so it just floats around in hole where the stud goes (not a tight fit).

So my question, has anyone ever tried or heard of people using an alternative bolt & nut hardware (Grade 8 or better), or press-in studs from another gen of trucks?

I'll continue to search for another driver-side knuckle, or stud from a Dana 35 knuckle, but I would like to hear if anyone has heard of or tried a different solution.

Thanks,
Chris

94CRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Here are a couple photos of the stud & nut together, and a measuring tape to give a rough idea of the dimensions.

Dana 35 stud & nut 2.JPG

You can see how the splines of the stud are a bit fatter than the threads, that seemed to be the only difference between the Dana 44 stud (not shown in the photos) & the Dana 35 stud (shown in both photos). Plus it's a tad longer, but not the issue.

Dana 35 stud & nut.JPG

JMF661

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
31” x 10.5”
I wouldn’t think you would have a terribly hard time finding a D35 equipped 90-97 ranger in a junk yard somewhere to swipe a few knuckle to spindle studs from.

The appropriate Bronco II may have the same studs as well. I’ve never worked on one to compare the two. I’m sure someone else here will chime in.

it’s possible a stealership could have the studs for order. I would imagine they would be difficult to come by at any run of the mill hardware or auto parts store.

Edit: In the tech section there is a spicer parts list for the D35 TTB. Spicer part number 42775 is the hex bolt you are looking for, I believe.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I broke one too at one point, but I have a spare axle to pillage from... but '91-94 Explorers are another source of parts...

JMF661

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
31” x 10.5”
Totally forgot about explorers for a minute! Tons of those around.

94CRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hey thanks for the replies.

Yea the dealership I went to said that the studs were discontinued and couldn't get them in. Same goes for the local auto parts stores.

I had a hard time finding any Rangers, Explorers, or Bronco II's within a couple hours of where I live. I did manage to find 2 Rangers about 5 hours from where I am, so I took a road trip and snagged couple studs and spare parts. Problem solved!

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Which Vancouver are you in? If Washington there's always Rangers and Explorers in the You Pull It in either Sherwood Oregon or Foster Rd in Portland off of 205

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals