• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dana 35 SLA center pin removal?

Dave18

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hi everybody,

I'm working on replacing the bearings and seals in a Dana 35 SLA axle housing, but I can't figure out how to get the center pin past the ring gear! This differential has a 4.10 ratio and the ring gear is huge. Like, the pin is barely visible behind it so grinding the teeth down would not be an option.

I know the techs put it together somehow, so there must be some trick to removing it, right? Or is there some other way to remove the C-clip to free the passenger side axle shaft?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
You're right. They had to get it in there. So there must be a way out. Are both sides like that?

The other thought I had is this. Sometimes the crosspin has a cutaway section in the center. So, once you remove the bolt that holds the pin, you rotate the pin 90 degrees. That way, the cutaway section gives you room to push the axle in and remove the C-Clip. Then, once the carrier is removed, the ring gear can be unbolted and removed. Then the cross pin. Just a thought. I've never done it that way. But I've seen those pins and that seems to be a logical answer.

I'm curious. Is that a regular D35? Or the D28/35 hybrid? I have 4.56 gears in my D35 and just did a little grinding to get the cross pin to fit.

Dave18

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Figured it out! Sorry - I'm a little slow. There apparently is no c-clip in the 98+ SLA axles... After giving it more thought that makes sense because the axle shaft (intermediate shaft? Whatever the section in the "long arm" is called) doesn't have to handle any cornering loads like the axleshafts in the rear end.

All you do is give it a tug and that shaft slides right out the end of the tube, and the whole carrier is free to come out!

Thanks for the quick response ericbphoto! Turns out I just had to scratch my head a little and think it through! I've never rebuilt an IFS diff before.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
clarification

there is a C ring that collapses on the shaft and is pulled thru the side gears.

friendly FYI
the bearing races get cocked crooked very easily in the aluminum housing, check them as they go in.
you will also most likely destroy the oil baffle when removing the inner pinion race.

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Figured it out! Sorry - I'm a little slow. There apparently is no c-clip in the 98+ SLA axles... After giving it more thought that makes sense because the axle shaft (intermediate shaft? Whatever the section in the "long arm" is called) doesn't have to handle any cornering loads like the axleshafts in the rear end.

All you do is give it a tug and that shaft slides right out the end of the tube, and the whole carrier is free to come out!

Thanks for the quick response ericbphoto! Turns out I just had to scratch my head a little and think it through! I've never rebuilt an IFS diff before.
And now I know. Thanks.

Dave18

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thank you! Yeah, it looks like the c-clip acts sort of like a spring to keep the shaft from falling out when the CV shaft isn't in place, maybe? And I appreciate the caution about the bearing races - I haven't gotten there yet but I'm not looking forward to it! I am open to all the advice I can get, haha.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Clip works just like the "friction ring" on an impact wrench.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals