• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

dana 35 shims/oil slinger

El_Capitan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 1987 but
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hi all, I'm about to change the gears in my '93 dana 35 front end. Just got the rear finished up. I have a couple questions though. The factory uses the oil slinger to set pinion depth, however the install kit I got from Randy's shims from behind the bearing race. Do I remove and reinstall the slinger in addition to the shim pack behind the bearing race? Or do I dare ditch the slinger? And also is a case spreader really necessary? I know this has probably been covered, but searching around on the net hasn't given me too many answers. Thanks for any help/advice :beer:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
This slinger issue has come up before. I suggest trying your first setup pattern using the slinger you have and no shims under the race, and hope that you only have to move the pinion closer to the carrier if you have to move it at all.
If you find you do have to go away from the carrier (thinner shim), I'd hit up your local rearend shop and see if they have any spare D30 or D44 slingers laying around, which should work maybe with only slight modification (widen the hole slightly if needed).
I would not run it without the slinger at all though, IIRC it helps to promote oil flow through your pinion bearings.

A spreader isn't 100% necessary, but man, it makes working with the assembly about 1,000,000 times easier!
You do have to be very careful about not overspreading it though (it's easier to do that you think). I spread it just barely enough I can wiggle the diff out of the housing with a small bit of effort).

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Never once used a spreader....even though we have 3 of em on the wall at work.

As junkie said, run you first pattern with all your original shims, and go from there.

El_Capitan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 1987 but
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys for the info. I also called Randy's today and they clarified a little too. Looks like I will -very carefully- remove and reuse the slinger.. I'm gonna tackle it on Wednesday. Ill tell you though going from 3.73 to 4.88 on '33s and very sleepy 2.9, is very nice..

El_Capitan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 1987 but
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Done.. luckily I was able to use the slinger only pattern looks OK and so far no noise.. now for plenty of these:beer::beer:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Good deal. :icon_thumby:

I sortof lucked out also when I did mine, I had to move the pinion inward about .003", so was able to just stick a single shim behind the inner race.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals