• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dana 35 clicking

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I had a 73 Econoline 1 ton van back in the 70s and 80s that was built like a tank. It had the same front end, even tho it was solid iron twin I-beams and radius arms. The bushings on it dried and shrank, leaving the rt front washers to make like tiny cymbals. The thing was so built I wasn't at all ambitious to try tearing it down so it got driven a long time that way.
It also had kingpins on the front with bushings that would wear out and those seemed daunting also, but after the steering got so sloppy it was over a quarter turn from pulling it right to pulling it left I finally tore it down and fixed it. Wasn't such a tough job after all and made a world of difference in the steering.
I can still remember the sound of those washers clinking around, doubt I'd ever mistake it for an auto hub. Those things get a bad rap and I for one do not know why, the ones on my 93 never once failed or refused to do exactly as I needed them to do, but they were kept well maintained. If you look at the maintenance schedule in the owners manual you'll see almost any 4wd use in water calls for inspection, including changing fluids

Last edited:

thcscubajohn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
247ci
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
31x10.50r15
My credo
Smog is for pussies.
Gotta be a story that goes with the roll over...
I had to set up as an overland rig and I was living out of it while I attended college. For my birthday I went up to the oceano dunes OHVRA here in CA right next to pismo beach for a 4 day weekend. On the third day of my stay I was going up a dune in 4-hi and stalled out right at the Crest. I backed down onto a dune that was running perpendicular to the dune I didn't make it up. It was kind of like a bridge that crossed over the huge bowl of this one big dune and made the part of the dune i was climbing 30 feet shorter. It also made two 30 foot deep bowls on either side. I backed down onto the "bridge" and engaged low range. At this point I'm kind of on the side of the "bridge dune" and the angle is very steep and I was worried about rolling over. I should have cut the wheel and gunned it down the dune, instead I start crawling forward and I'm sliding sideways down the dune further than I'm going forward. That didn't keep up for long and in one fluid motion the passenger side stopped sliding and the driver's side lifted up and went over. 2 rolls and landed on her feet. Stayed running the entire time. My camper shell broke off the base all my shit flew out the back and inside the cab was like a washing machine. Some people found me and helped me clean up all the shit that flew out. I lost 3 beads during the rollover so I had to re bead 3 tires in the sand which took a while because one of them had so much sand on the bead seat that it wouldn't hold air, so I had to put on the spare which i had used the night before because I got a flat. So my "spare" was another wheel that had a slower leak than the tire I took off. I put in a can of fix-a-flat and went home. Drove it about 250 miles home the way you see it in the picture. No alignment issues at all.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I knew there was a story... a built Ford Tough Story. Crazy you didn't get pulled over or maybe a glass shard in your eye?

And ummmm… don't do that anymore! Glad nobody got hurt.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I had to set up as an overland rig and I was living out of it while I attended college. For my birthday I went up to the oceano dunes OHVRA here in CA right next to pismo beach for a 4 day weekend. On the third day of my stay I was going up a dune in 4-hi and stalled out right at the Crest. I backed down onto a dune that was running perpendicular to the dune I didn't make it up. It was kind of like a bridge that crossed over the huge bowl of this one big dune and made the part of the dune i was climbing 30 feet shorter. It also made two 30 foot deep bowls on either side. I backed down onto the "bridge" and engaged low range. At this point I'm kind of on the side of the "bridge dune" and the angle is very steep and I was worried about rolling over. I should have cut the wheel and gunned it down the dune, instead I start crawling forward and I'm sliding sideways down the dune further than I'm going forward. That didn't keep up for long and in one fluid motion the passenger side stopped sliding and the driver's side lifted up and went over. 2 rolls and landed on her feet. Stayed running the entire time. My camper shell broke off the base all my shit flew out the back and inside the cab was like a washing machine. Some people found me and helped me clean up all the shit that flew out. I lost 3 beads during the rollover so I had to re bead 3 tires in the sand which took a while because one of them had so much sand on the bead seat that it wouldn't hold air, so I had to put on the spare which i had used the night before because I got a flat. So my "spare" was another wheel that had a slower leak than the tire I took off. I put in a can of fix-a-flat and went home. Drove it about 250 miles home the way you see it in the picture. No alignment issues at all.

An old friend of mine, about 40-45 years ago was driving home late one night on a dark country highway and a deer almost ran into him, he swerved and rolled a time or two. An old Ford pickup, when he came to he couldn't see much of anything but two red lights on the dash, OIL and TEMP I think they were, he turned the key and it fired right up, drove it on home, said he was wiping glass off the dash , and trying to keep it out of his eyes.
Got home, went in and to bed. The next morning his mother opened his door and looked in there, said, "Are you alive?"

thcscubajohn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
247ci
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
31x10.50r15
My credo
Smog is for pussies.
I knew there was a story... a built Ford Tough Story. Crazy you didn't get pulled over or maybe a glass shard in your eye?

And ummmm… don't do that anymore! Glad nobody got hurt.
I drove it like that for a little while and glass would always fly everywhere. Luckily I had some goggles and a facemask when I rolled so I just wore those. I was surprised that the cops didn't mess with me.

thcscubajohn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
247ci
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
31x10.50r15
My credo
Smog is for pussies.
An old friend of mine, about 40-45 years ago was driving home late one night on a dark country highway and a deer almost ran into him, he swerved and rolled a time or two. An old Ford pickup, when he came to he couldn't see much of anything but two red lights on the dash, OIL and TEMP I think they were, he turned the key and it fired right up, drove it on home, said he was wiping glass off the dash , and trying to keep it out of his eyes.
Got home, went in and to bed. The next morning his mother opened his door and looked in there, said, "Are you alive?"
Built ford tough. I saw a video of a multi car accident on the cocahala highway in BC and they had to fish all the trucks and SUVs up the side and the only one that drove away was a ford super duty

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Built ford tough. I saw a video of a multi car accident on the cocahala highway in BC and they had to fish all the trucks and SUVs up the side and the only one that drove away was a ford super duty
I hope there were no animals or other humans injured in the making of that ad ;)

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I drove it like that for a little while and glass would always fly everywhere. Luckily I had some goggles and a facemask when I rolled so I just wore those. I was surprised that the cops didn't mess with me.
Maybe they thought you'd had a bad enough day, or maybe didn't think they had time enough having to hear about that one

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals