• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dana 30 Qs

Str8sixfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
I bought what was supposed to be a 3.73+ carrier for my 4.56s off of craigslist, but next to the old carrier, I can't tell a difference between the two (other than the old one was covered in oil, new one was clean). How can I visually tell the difference between the two? I'm worried I was duped.

Secondly, I was taking out the nuts of the ring gear from the carrier so I could install the new gears on the other carrier, and stripped the threads on one nut from the carrier. Where would I go to purchase a new carrier bolt? I tried the local hardware store rout last night, but I wasn't confident in the selection nailing the exact size.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
If you have the two carriers side by side on your bench, the hi-ratio carrier will have the position of the ring gear flange slightly more toward center (like ¼" or so I think).

Str8sixfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
hmm, I'll have to go take a look. Thanks for the info. My memory says the flange is about in the same spot, but I may have to look closer.

Str8sixfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
So yes, I confirmed one had the flange slightly closer to the center. It appeared to be closer to an 1/8" visually. Thanks again.

Now onto the ring/carrier bolt. Any clue where to turn?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Your gear installation kit should include a new set of ring gear bolts.

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
you are doing a solid axle, knuckle, swap and gear change but you dont trust yourself to pick out a bolt?:eek:

Str8sixfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
you are doing a solid axle, knuckle, swap and gear change but you dont trust yourself to pick out a bolt?:eek:
well from the hardware store anyway....I found some that were same size in all dimensions except milimeters longer. I've hacked off nuts before, but this is not a place where I'd feel comfortable doing such a thing. A ring gear seems to have more of a "precise" feel to it than other tasks I've done in the past. I'm going to go out and check out my master install kit. I've had it for months and never opened it. I was just under the impression it wouldn't have something like that.

I did find though that ringpinion.com sells the bolts. I might replace them all if they're not in my master install kit.

Thanks for the help y'all

Str8sixfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
what do you know...yes there were new carrier bolts in my master install kit! I feel a little dumb, but ok. I feel better now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals