• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

damaged headliner repair or replace?

Kyler Skovbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
the headliner out of my 91 ranger has some water damage in one of the corners, is there a way to fix the separating layers before I put suede down on the foam or will I need a new headliner?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I often use duct tape to piece broken headliners together. You only need it to hold together long enough for your new material and it's glue to hold it. I bet aluminum tape would work well also. You won't see it when the fabric is on it.

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
Purchase replacement headliner material, strip off all of the original material, prep the backboard & refinsh the headliner.
There are various online locations to order material from, Graham Fabrics is one.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I took mine to an upholstery shop for a headliner. Guy said $100 but then only charged me $80 because there was a slight blemish, which he pointed out. I plan to get my visors done next. Turn around was same day.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
I took mine to an upholstery shop for a headliner. Guy said $100 but then only charged me $80 because there was a slight blemish, which he pointed out. I plan to get my visors done next. Turn around was same day.
That's cheap, figuring 2 cans of 3M spray glue ($20), headliner material ($35-40), and labor.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
That's cheap, figuring 2 cans of 3M spray glue ($20), headliner material ($35-40), and labor.
Yea I got lucky, it was leftover material from a boat he was doing, and I'm sure he gets the glue for wholesale nothin. So it was probably 90% profit for him.

This is where it pays to pay someone else to do it lol. I made more than that using those hours to work.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I picked up a very nice headliner at the U Pull yard for $11.00. Ford wants about $450. Most are no longer made. I washed mine down with a sponge damped with rubbing alcohol to brighten it up. Here it is coming out from n old klunker. It's not hard to do.
Headliner.jpg

Last edited:

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Yea I got lucky, it was leftover material from a boat he was doing, and I'm sure he gets the glue for wholesale nothin. So it was probably 90% profit for him.

This is where it pays to pay someone else to do it lol. I made more than that using those hours to work.
All the work is pulling it out of the vehicle. I used to get mine done for $75 when I would pull it myself and that included the proper headliner material. I am sure it's more now, that was 10 years ago.
I always took the GM headliners to the shop because they use Styrofoam for the headliner shell. If you use a strong glue it shrivels the Styrofoam up and ruins it, been there, done that.

All the Fords I have done so far have been cardboard shells. That holds up to the stronger glues you can get at the hardware store, and I either go to a local fabric store, or some Walmarts have a fabric section where they sell vinyl. I found some tan colored vinyl a couple of years ago at my local Walmart and that is what I glued into my Bronco II.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.

I tend to price stuff out and if it is more cost and time effective to have the "professional" do it, I'll pay the price. Gladly. Plus, 90% of the time it will be a lot nicer.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals