• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Damaged '02 fuel rail supply line

Balloonist

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Transmission
Automatic
I have an '02 Ranger (XLT, extended cab, 4x4, 4.0 SOHC, AT - not sure which of that really matters). I was trying to replace the left side valve cover gasket, and I think I damaged the fuel line that comes from the left side of the engine, up over the front of the valve cover, and feeds into the fuel rails. Can anyone help me find a part number or suitable replacement for that?

I have searched Google for every set of keywords I can think of, and I've found very limited information. Apparently it's a fairly expensive line, but I'd rather pay for a new line than worry that my son's truck is going to have an engine fire from leaking fuel.

I saw a parts diagram that called it the "fuel supply hose," but no part number. I'm a little surprised that I'm having so much trouble finding information on it!

JMF661

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
31” x 10.5”
That might be a tough one, not certain what kind of parts a dealership might have available for that year.
You might have luck on eBay, definitely a pick a part if you can find a later model ranger that hasn’t been picked clean.

edit: dang auto correct.

Last edited:

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
What makes you think it's damaged? It's a pretty hardy line.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
A possible option would be to hit up a junk yard or two and see if you can get the part from a vehicle on their lot.

Balloonist

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Transmission
Automatic
What makes you think it's damaged? It's a pretty hardy line.
Like a bonehead, I mistook it for a vacuum line when I was pulling off the other vacuum lines that are above the valve cover. I got the outer sheath far enough back to see the steel later underneath, and that's when I realized my mistake.

The line may be ok (I have the trans out, and don't want to reconnect the battery just yet to see) but it begs the question of how much risk I'll take in my son's truck. He's 18 later this month, and not necessarily good at paying all the attention he should to odd smells when he's driving, so if a fuel leak starts up he might not realize it. If it were my truck is make a different decision, but like many parents I'm pretty protective of my kids. :)

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.

Balloonist

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Transmission
Automatic
It's probably fine, but like others have said, a salvage yard may be your best bet.

I believe this is the line you are looking for, but it ain't cheap new. https://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/oem-parts/ford-pipe-fuel-1l5z9e964ac
That is indeed the exact part. I don't know why I've been having so much trouble finding it - all my searches keep turning up the lines from the tank.

Does this use the little clip on the bottom end? I've never had to take one of those apart - how do I do that? (The fuel rail connections are both a pair of bolts through a flange, so that's easy enough.)

$200 for a new part ain't cheap, especially to pay for my own ham-fisted mistake, but I think I'll end up doing it for the peace of mind. I may call a couple of salvage yards first, though - my original 18-year-old part was fine until I got my hands on it, so another one is likely to be fine as well. It looks like the connection is down by the suspension, so I'm guessing it doesn't matter which wheelbase of truck or comes off of, as long as it's a similar year and has the 4.0 SOHC.

It must be my week to buy fuel lines. I'm due for new ones in my balloon, which goes in for annual on Wednesday. $900 for aircraft fuel lines, and suddenly my Ford parts don't seem quite so expensive!

Balloonist

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for all the help, everyone.

I ended up ordering the line new for about $200. Not cheap, but cheaper than an engine fire, and in the end it'll be cheaper than worrying about an engine fire.

I took the old line off last night to match it up to the picture, which was an incredible PITA. I have the tools to release the clip, so that part was easy enough. Getting the two bolts off the right-side fuel rail flange involved disconnecting multiple other lines and fighting my way around some of the wiring. And the clip that holds the line to the block on the left side - wow! I spent an hour and a half climbing on the engine, crawling underneath, and trying to get in from the fender well with a long extension. I was finally able to sneak my arm in past the upper end of the shock, but the way the bolt hides behind the power steering pump made it almost impossible. I'm hoping I can put it back on without unbolting the P/S pump.

Now I just need to get the reman transmission in and the valve cover gaskets replaced, and the truck will be good for a few more years. It just hit 200k (200,002 when the transmission went), and given the overall condition of the truck, I don't think 300k is an unreasonable expectation without a whole lot of work beyond routine maintenance.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals