• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

daily doubler build

036speed

02/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
Let's make a road trip out there when you finish the Mounty Brad. Few RBV type things and a JK should be an interesting group.
We would have a nice place to stay with a garage.

"Entertaining" would be one way to put it. While I've led a few stock JK's through the park, none of them made it through completely unscathed. At a minimum, we tell folks to have skids, tow points, and something more aggressive than street tires.

It's possible to run the 'tourist' loop through the park, but there are quite a few places that'll get you in trouble. Here is the most recent map of the park: http://www.aaronhull.com/misc/jeep/WashitaTrailMap.pdf

The tourist loop for a stocker would be Ground Pounder, Hamburger hill, to Brain Fart or Charlie Mike, up to the over watch (the knob/view). Come back down your choice of trail and going north to The Devils Playground and working your way back to the entrance from there. That loop will likely take you all day depending on how things go :)
Noted. Looks like he is better off riding with me. :icon_thumby: He doesn't exactly have a Rubicon...

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Kage pretty well nailed it. I'd be hesitant to take anything out there that was bone stock. We ran into a Liberty that was pretty mild and he seemed to make it around alright, but he wasn't too easy on it either. I think he had a 2" lift with 31's.

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I ran over to the Badlands for a day of rock crawling on July 3rd. Truck did well overall, though my coil kept popping out. It's time to build some robust lower retainers. Mine have literally worn to the point that the coil slips past the lip. Nothing a quick hoist with the hi-lift can't fix, but it's annoying nonetheless.

Covered just over 23 miles according to the GPS. I was rolling solo, so I just got a few poser pics while checking my line/hanging out.

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm not overly impressed with the current layout of the park. I think all of the events are taking away from the freedom that the park used to have. Now it seems there's huge sections roped off, access to other parts blocked with concrete barriers, and they've rerouted the entrance to the quarry. I think the guy that lives on the lake is trying to stake his claim, and in doing so, they've closed off one section of the trail as well as the main entrance to the quarry. Now to get there, you have to go over by the tubes and take the creek to sneak in the back way, or they have another entrance over that way that leads you through a mini mud bog and spits you out by the lake (essentially the same spot as if you'd taken he creek).

It's a huge inconvenience. I used to scoot from the parking lot, through green and up to the main entrance of the quarry. That provided for an enjoyable route to the place and got you there pretty quick. With that blocked off, I'd rather not do green now, so I just high-tailed it to the tube area to come in the back way. Takes just as long as it would have before, but there's more distance to cover and it's more cumbersome than enjoyable.

I'm sure I'll get over it after a couple trips; the change just doesn't set well with me at the moment. I'll quit bitchin.

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Hmm, August 13-15 a group of us are heading down.

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You guys will get around just fine, I'm just a bit sour about it.

This wall is no longer accessible. It was part of the 'lake loop' trail.

Here's some throwbacks for ya -

You have to take the creek side around to the quarry, but there's trees down preventing access to the right side of this wall too. Not nearly as much stuff to play on.

I'd consider running over to beat up the rig with you guys, but I'm heading down to Washita the weekend of the 15th.

P93suafilo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 89, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I know this is a older thread but I just read the whole thing and I am blown away at how awesome of a build and how much went into it. Hope one day I can build a rig similar!!!

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know this is a older thread but I just read the whole thing and I am blown away at how awesome of a build and how much went into it. Hope one day I can build a rig similar!!!
Thanks man! I haven't updated this in a long while. Let's play catch up:

Dec 2016 update:

Did some maintenance type stuff in early Spring of 2016. My fuel tank rusted through under my strap in one spot, so I welded it up and sealed the inside of the tank with POR 15 tank sealer. Threw a new fuel pump on it while I was in there too. I see this as a temporary solution until I decide what to do for a replacement tank, but I've been rocking it for nearly a year now and all is well. It'll probably stay like this until I get the new shop up (scheduled for a Spring 2017 construction) and have a place to leave the truck disassembled for a decent amount of time.

Built a passenger side grab bar and installed a mechanical oil gauge as well.

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Then I pulled the doors off and drove it out to Moab to catch the tail end of EJS and wheel the following week with my buddies. Super cold trip - most challenging one yet in regards to open vehicle travel. We saw snow multiple times.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I still drive it to work at least once a week and try to get out for some fun on the weekends. This is on some family owned ground next to the river. I think this was late July.

I use it to pull stuff that's too heavy for my car (1.8l turbo MKIV golf) too. I built a divider for this horse trailer and towed it back to the owner.

The last wheelin trip was at the Badlands for their toy drive in early December. No doors the whole way again. No spectacular pics as I know this place like the back of my hand, but I did take one just for kicks.

I've been losing some air out of my beadlocks, so I need to break those guys down and seal them up. Pretty sure it's leaking between the plastic spacers. Some RTV should do the trick.

Other than that, I've just been driving it every now and then to keep things spinning. No huge plans in the immediate future. I love the truck how it is and it performs really well.

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm currently diving into a hydro assist install. Not sure if I'll get it the cylinder on it before the CO trip in August, but at least I'll have a stronger sag pump and a fresh steering gear box.

Link to Pirate Thread

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
What springs are you using in your coilovers, and would you change them?

SVT

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I wish I had coilovers so I could tell you, haha.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
For some reason i thought you did...

SVT

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nope. Still rockin' the 3.5" lift Wildhorses EB springs that I used during the SAS.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals