• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

d60s and 35" boggers

rangerdestroyer

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
im planning on doing a axle swap on a ranger just wondering what you guys think about putting d60s under it with 35" boggers max size. do you think it be to much axle? what kinda clearance issues is there going to be with that small ttire and that big of axle? :dunno:

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
People have done it....

-PlumCrazy

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
You could put a lot of horsies behind it without fear of breaking the axles...

The only thing that comes to mind is the weight of each axle. You are gonna need some motor to get those spinning, especially for a DD. Also consider the increase in track width.

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Diffs will be dragging the ground and the axles weigh about 400 lbs a piece, I wouldn't...

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
If you're gonna romp on it and/or be pushin' a lot of HP, I'd say do it. Like wizkid says, you won't have to worry much about breakage like you would with ½-ton stuff.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
the axle really has nothing to do with having the power to spin it. If you want to split hairs yes it may require a little more due to the design. If you were going fullwidth on 1/2 tons then you aren't worried about the width of 1 tons. If you can get a deal on them I would do it. Same amount of effort for the swap and stronger from the start. Yes you are going to be dragging a little more but you have the axle there if you decide to run bigger rubber. Best parts is you can rop it with less fear of breaking.

cdawall

U.S. Military - Active
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Diffs will be dragging the ground and the axles weigh about 400 lbs a piece, I wouldn't...
You would be surprised the D60u's have plenty of clearance. Your weight is low as well 600lbs for a front axle and 400lbs for a rear.

The only worry I would have is the D60 rear. 30 spline rears are weaksauce anything that isn't the D60u has to have the hubs bored to clear 35 spline shafts.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
I'd have to agree...skip the D60 on the rear. I sway toward the 14 bolt chevy (gasp) for a rear axle. They are still pretty cheap and can find them pretty easily too. Close tie to that is the Sterling 10.25/10.5. Recent years have brought parts prices down for them and are quite strong as well...both are still stronger than a stock D60 rear.

cdawall

U.S. Military - Active
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I'd have to agree...skip the D60 on the rear. I sway toward the 14 bolt chevy (gasp) for a rear axle. They are still pretty cheap and can find them pretty easily too. Close tie to that is the Sterling 10.25/10.5. Recent years have brought parts prices down for them and are quite strong as well...both are still stronger than a stock D60 rear.
With 35's the 14B will be the ultimate diff hanger. Sterling 10.25 or D70/D70u would be the best choices if you cannot find a D60u with the big hubs and no neck down shafts.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
I'll agree, the 14 bolt will be dragging balls all the time. The price is right on them though. Depending on your skills shave the bottom. The D70, 70U or 80 isn't bad either. My point is overbuild it the 1st time. I just rebuilt a 70U for a friend and I will say it was kinda expensive to do. That seems to be the case for all the newer 1 ton stuff thanks to the diesel kids thinking these axles will hold 1xxx ft/lbs with 40+ inch tires. Reguardless 1 tons with 35s you'll be ahead of the game

cdawall

U.S. Military - Active
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I'll agree, the 14 bolt will be dragging balls all the time. The price is right on them though. Depending on your skills shave the bottom. The D70, 70U or 80 isn't bad either. My point is overbuild it the 1st time. I just rebuilt a 70U for a friend and I will say it was kinda expensive to do. That seems to be the case for all the newer 1 ton stuff thanks to the diesel kids thinking these axles will hold 1xxx ft/lbs with 40+ inch tires. Reguardless 1 tons with 35s you'll be ahead of the game
I would never build a D80 same issues as with the 14B. Just to big to be useful. The D70u is absolutely great in the fact that it has better clearance than a standard D60 ever could. The 10.25" is very similar in that fact little less clearance than a D60, but roughly the same strength as a D70.

That D60u I rather like smooth bottom slides over rocks without issues. Plenty strong as far as I am concerned and mine was a 32 spline model which isn't necked down. Plenty strong only small part is the actual splines (1.375" at the splines).

Last edited:

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
I don't think much on size anymore...for anything I use bigger is better. Kinda keep forgetting he's using 35s as well. He'll be good with pretty much any choice using 35s, but keep in mind if you remotely think you'll be going bigger it won't hurt to skimp on axle selection. A good thing to think about if it's for playing in the rocks then yes something with the clearance would be a better choice, mud won't matter as much. My personal opinion is price would talk because aside from the odd ball ones (dana 61s, tow truck axles due to odd shafts, and so on) you can't go wrong.

CodyXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 1999 2006
Make / Model
Ford
Lincoln
Engine Size
4.0 V6, 5.4 V8 Supercharged, 5.4 V8 Triton
Transmission
Automatic
You better do a engine swap first...

cdawall

U.S. Military - Active
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
What does an engine swap have to do with axles? Most all domestic axles reguardless of size require about the same amount of power to spin and it's within 10 horsepower difference least to greatest. The ones that comsume the most are the ones that have the greatest hypod angle. Bigger tires require nothing more than picking the correct axle ratio.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals