• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

D60 vs. Rockwell

Vexy

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I plan on making my 96 B4000 a dedicated mud truck. The plans are at least 44" tires and a 460 BBF.

Would 1 tons hold up or should I go with 2.5 ton Rockwells?

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
I'd say some sort of 1 ton. If you are trying to race this you will need some way of tuning. Rocks you will only have the factory 6.72 or a ouverson 4.90 ratio while any other factory axle will have a range of pretty much anything. You can pull some weight out of the 2.5 tons but 1 tons will be lighter. If you need it to be low slung the high pinion centerline on the rocks will be tough. They are strong though and have a good aftermarket now so you can really build them up.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well, D60 is a beefy axle and those Rockwells can be hard to find parts for, what with being alien technology and all that.

Vexy

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's going to strictly be for mud bogging. I heard from a few sources that if you are gonna go any bigger than 42's, you should really go with 2.5 ton's...especially with a big block turning the wheels. 6.72 is perfect since I'll be running huge tires anyways.

I just want to do things right the first time, ya know?

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
I'd put a D60 with high dollar shafts up to a rockwell anyday. In all reality it would be just as cost effective to do that as 2.5 tons. But a 2.5 ton is bigger to start and can only get stronger from there. If the little extra weight and limited ratios aren't a concern I'd go for them. If you look you should be able to get a front and rear for less than $1200..little more for two steer axles. From there is can be as cheap or expensive as you want. Parts aren't hard to find if you know where to look, find guys who run them, make friends and you won't have problems finding anything.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Parts aren't hard to find for either as mentioned. My only beef is rockwells are HEAVY, unless you need the strength for monster tires I'd go tons. As far as hp strength both would work fine. If you have the know how you can do a 14bolt D60 hybrid too.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
rockwells are the real budget axle, when you talk strength to dollar ratio...

personally, I'd do 14 bolt rear and 60 front.. but personally I'd build a crawler before a mud rig to.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
What type of "mud bogging" are you going to be doing? Racing in a pit, or playing in a swamp?

Personally if I was to build a truck for mud, it'd be +600hp on Rocks turning 60" rice and cane tires.
...but of I was racing, I'd have +800hp on tons turning cut 44" Boggers.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

Vexy

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This won't be for mud drags, it will be trailered to events like Vermonster 4x4 and Yankee Lake Truck Night. Straight up mud bogging. I'm probably looking at running tractor tires. I'm just seriously torn between going 1 ton vs. 2.5 ton. Neither way is cheap so to speak...so I don't wanna regret it further down the road!

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Copy what the other guys are doing. If most run one over the other they do so for reason. Hopefully the reasons are based on experience.

As in my case, I've broken a few things on my front axle and see all my buddies running tons without breaking. So its reasonable that if I want to do bigger badder stuff I need to upgrade in order to keep up with my desires to push my vehicle to that point.

Vexy

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Copy what the other guys are doing. If most run one over the other they do so for reason. Hopefully the reasons are based on experience.

As in my case, I've broken a few things on my front axle and see all my buddies running tons without breaking. So its reasonable that if I want to do bigger badder stuff I need to upgrade in order to keep up with my desires to push my vehicle to that point.

I am actually leaning towards running a built Dana 60 front and built 14 bolt rear with 44" boggers. Any bigger than that is a little ridiculous and will get crazy expensive, not to mention the extreme amount of custom fabrication needed to put Rockwells under my truck

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It can be done with springs, mudding doesn't need articulation like rock crawlers do. Top loaders would keep your drive shafts at a good angle. Plus if you have the means to transport a m-duece you'll have your axles for the cost minus what you get back in scrap. Keep in mind those things weigh in at well over 5 tons so you will make a good amount at a scrap yard.

Drive shaft brakes and other goodies are what makes a rockwell swap $$$$

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
If you are going horsepower and ag tires, rockwells are the way to go. The problem with rockwells is the weight, width, brakes and steering. Some issues are due to the tires you are able to run and others like brakes depend on what you are doing. If you are in a hurry rockwells and parts will be expensive, take your time they are cheap. You can build a mud buggy as cheap or expensive as you want really.

Vexy

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks everyone!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals