• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

D44 vs. D35

What axle to go with

• D35

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • D44

Votes: 17 77.3%

• Total voters

The Jester Race

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 2009
Make / Model
Ford, BMW
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
How far can I push it forward until I have to move the PS pump?
I am 6" forward and my draglink is directly under the steering box. You can probably get 8" but I think that might be pushing it and could cause some undesirable steering characteristics.

-Jester

Last edited:

The Jester Race

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 2009
Make / Model
Ford, BMW
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Or you could run full hydro and push that axle as far forward as your little heart desires. I don't know if it's street legal in Oregon though, it's not in Cali.

-Jester

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Haha, no monies for full hydro however I think factory will be sufficient

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am 6" forward and my draglink is directly under the steering box. You can probably get 8" but I think that might be pushing it and could cause some undesirable steering characteristics.

-Jester
Are you glad you went with TRE's for steering? Or would you have preferred Heims?

I think with how much mine will be driven on the streets TREs will serve me better

The Jester Race

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 2009
Make / Model
Ford, BMW
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Are you glad you went with TRE's for steering? Or would you have preferred Heims?

I think with how much mine will be driven on the streets TREs will serve me better
Yes TREs over Heims, one month on the street and the heims will have some slop to them which could cause some undesirable steering characteristics(death wobble). Per the advice of Mike from Parts Mike.

Super nice guy, and very reasonable prices. He set me up for high steer, including machining of passenger side knuckle, two high steer arms and all the steering linkage and hardware for $500 out the door.

-Jester

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes TREs over Heims, one month on the street and the heims will have some slop to them which could cause some undesirable steering characteristics(death wobble). Per the advice of Mike from Parts Mike.

Super nice guy, and very reasonable prices. He set me up for high steer, including machining of passenger side knuckle, two high steer arms and all the steering linkage and hardware for $500 out the door.

-Jester
Thanks for the info

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think I have all of the main things figured out, if I have any more questions Ill ask em

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I had an idea, so what if I build DOM radius arms with 0* link mounts on the axle and frame mounts so that I can run THESE on both ends of the arms.

THESE would be the axle mounts, and I will fab or buy the frame mounts, so is this a good idea? Or is there somthing I am overlooking?

The Jester Race

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 2009
Make / Model
Ford, BMW
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
So I had an idea, so what if I build DOM radius arms with 0* link mounts on the axle and frame mounts so that I can run THESE on both ends of the arms.

THESE would be the axle mounts, and I will fab or buy the frame mounts, so is this a good idea? Or is there somthing I am overlooking?
I don't know, but with Ballistic expect to wait 3-4 weeks to get your parts. People love the Ballistic joints though.

-Jester

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
All I have to input is, if this is your daily driver, keep it as stock as possible. The 31 spline shafts in the Expo axle are strong enough you dont need to upgrade them with the kind of wheeling Im assuming you're doing. As for the D35, I've never really had a problem with it and it flexes great (to a certain extent of course). I think ttb is fairly simple to work on and can keep your stock buckets. You wont have to worry about the crossmember being too close to your axle (No Straight axle). I personally prefer the narrower stance of the ranger. I've been on some pretty off kilter shit with it and I feel safe enough. Good choice on the expo leaves by the way, I have them and love them. As for the TTB 35, Rebuild it comepletely. Upgrade the shafts (known to blow u-joints), upgrade u-joints, and I would definitely do the D44 knuckles. Keeping this as close to stock as possible can save you a LOT of $$$ and in the long run you will be just as happy. I wouldnt go any bigger than 35s

Hope this helps

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Actually I wheel it hard, and I'm not going 8.8, im just gunna get the 9in.

I already figured it all out and SAS is right for me

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Actually I wheel it hard, and I'm not going 8.8, im just gunna get the 9in.

I already figured it all out and SAS is right for me
why full width though, is just a question rolling around in my head....i thought the purpose of all of us with the smaller trucks is SO we DONT fall in all the fullsize truck ruts, thats what makes a smaller truck so bad ass. i really do not see the point of putting full width axles under it, u can no longer navigate those tight trails to that fun stuff full size trucks only dream about.

sas is all well and good, but those are just my thoughts. now u may continue down ur road that makes no sense(to me atleast) lol

and im just curious how many people that put the full width axles in there truck actually get away with driving them i know here in the great communist state of nj if you do not have complete tire coverage on a lifted truck(much more on full width under a small truck) they can impound ur shit

Last edited:

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
SAS it is then. I have nothing against them. My F150 is a 3/4 ton SASed beauty. I did all the work myself after work at night...took awhile but well worth it.

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
why full width though, is just a question rolling around in my head....i thought the purpose of all of us with the smaller trucks is SO we DONT fall in all the fullsize truck ruts, thats what makes a smaller truck so bad ass. i really do not see the point of putting full width axles under it, u can no longer navigate those tight trails to that fun stuff full size trucks only dream about.

sas is all well and good, but those are just my thoughts. now u may continue down ur road that makes no sense(to me atleast) lol

and im just curious how many people that put the full width axles in there truck actually get away with driving them i know here in the great communist state of nj if you do not have complete tire coverage on a lifted truck(much more on full width under a small truck) they can impound ur shit

This thread isn't about FW or not FW, I know the trails I go on and I know I need the stability, if I want to hear the debate Ill go to that thread you already started

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Just realized, if I did this wouldn't the axle twist up like axle wrap?

Ill just use some stock arms

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals