• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

D44 TTB Swap - Axle Cut Info Pictures?

FastEddy760

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hello All,

Great source of info and very much appreciated.

I'm about 95% complete on a D44 Bronco TTB swap on my 97 Ranger.

Does anyone have pictures of the axle cut for the passenger side? After combing the forums, and other sites like http://dezertrangers.com/ I am not finding specific examples of the cut.

Also, I noticed on http://broncograveyard.com/ that there are two different axle lengths on the passenger side. This difference is between the F-250 and the Bronco. It seems that the F-250 shaft's overall length is about 1.75 shorter.

I went to a pick-a-part yard and retrieved an F-250 axle. It is in fact shorter. That said, I still get binding at partial droop. Its my *assumption* that I need to trim another .25" - .375" from the innermost part of the axle as it slides into the short shaft connected to the diff.

Hope that makes sense, and thanks in advance for any help. =]

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
You can trim the long spline on the RH shaft a good inch or so without compromising any strength.
I'm guessing you didn't lengthen the D44 beams before you bolted them into your Ranger's axle brackets?

FastEddy760

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
All Stock Components, No Adjustments...

You can trim the long spline on the RH shaft a good inch or so without compromising any strength.
Awesome! Thanks for the feedback.

I'm guessing you didn't lengthen the D44 beams before you bolted them into your Ranger's axle brackets?
No, all Ranger pivot points are factory stock. Beams are stock Bronco and factory lengths.

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
every thought about putting a 2 inches worth of lift in the pivot brackets.As that help's alot with the axle shafts binding

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The Ranger pivots are spaced about 2" further apart laterally.
What I would do is lengthen the D44's beams 1" near the pivots instead of trimming the shaft. This will maintain the axle's full width as it was on the Bronco.

(similar to what was done here)

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
That's good to know. I trimmed over 3/8" off my D35 shaft to get it to fit without binding.

FastEddy760

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The Turck came home this weeekend...

So I can once again take it apart and cycle the beams.

I think cutting the axle is the best option. Adding length to the beams at the pivots is not a good option in my case. The radius arms are already welded up and shock mounts positioned with a certain amount of angle calculated in. It was not until we stuffed the axles in that we found the binding problem. Hind sight, 20/20. :-/

FastEddy760

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hrmmm...

every thought about putting a 2 inches worth of lift in the pivot brackets.As that help's alot with the axle shafts binding
That is interesting.

Are you suggesting the pivot points are lowered by adding metal between them and the frame? This in effect would 'raise' the truck? Trying to get it straight in my head what your suggesting.

If I am reading that correctly, how does it eliminate the binding? Seems the problem would just be lower and the truck a little higher.

Forgive my lack of imagination. =]

The Ranger pivots are spaced about 2" further apart laterally.
What I would do is lengthen the D44's beams 1" near the pivots instead of trimming the shaft. This will maintain the axle's full width as it was on the Bronco.

(similar to what was done here)
4x4Junkie - Thanks for the picture. That helps. I will show that to the guy who helped me with the swap. He has the welder. I'll see what he says and if he prefers to cut the axle or consider the effects of widened beams.

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Yeah, I also don't see how this would do anything but just relocate the same problem 2" lower :dunno:

FastEddy760

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
More bump travel good! =]

Here is a shot of the axle poking through the slip yoke bottoming out on the U-joint

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
So is this at full droop or full bump?

I gather that this is with the shorter D44HD shaft?

FastEddy760

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
This is with the beams almost flat straight even. This allows the small gap in the picture.

As it droops they bind and it does not drop out. This *is* the shorter shaft from an F250.

I thought I would have time to work on the shafts this weekend, but did not happen.
Hopefully tonight I can tear it apart and make the cut.

Dusty_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
sorry to thread jack but i once thought about cutting and turning dana 44 beams to get a stock ranger axle width and lift how many inches of lift do u think this would yeald and how would a i about finding axle shafts for this beast

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals