• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

D44 TTB Ranger swap: narrow the mounts or lengthen the arms?

skrape

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Greetings, my first post here as I'm new to Rangers but been fabbing on other trucks for years. Yeah, yeah, so I'm a Ranger noob but have SAS'ed other trucks.

The great pictures you all have posted have hooked me, and I'm planning what atrocities to perpetrate on a '96 Ranger 4x4. I'm kind of hot for the wide-stance 4x4 prerunner thing, which leads me to want to do a D44 TTB swap.

I have been searching the forums, here and elsewhere - for instance
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25516
I may have missed "The Thread" about this, but - There are so many threads on doing this that I want to beat this dead horse a little more, just to confirm what the others are telling me...

The D44 TTB radius arm mounts are 2" narrower than the mounts on the Ranger, right?

So, the alternatives are to make new mounts on the Ranger frame that are 2" closer together than stock, or to lengthen the TTB arms by 1" each so they match the Ranger mount points.

So rather than asking which approach is "best" I'll be more specific:
Which involves the least work?
Which is cheapest? (from what I see I can fab the stuff for both, but could probably buy sexier brackets than I could easily fab.)
Which is stronger?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The D44 TTB radius arm mounts are 2" narrower than the mounts on the Ranger, right?
I assume you mean the beam pivot mounts? (radius arms are the arms mounted behind the front axle)

The beam pivot mounts are infact 2" closer to each other on the F-150 than on a RBV.

Best is lengthening the beams 1" each near the pivots. IF the brackets on your Ranger are wide enough to allow drilling another hole 1" inboard of the existing holes, then that would make for the least amount of work. If the brackets aren't wide enough though, then lengthening the beams is gonna be your best bet.

Welcome to TRS. :beer:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
There is a guy [not on this forum anymore] that was selling a weld it yourself beam brackets kit that would accept both d-35 and d-44 axles and provided 1.5" of lift. If you google "copykat" you will find him on various forums. I don't know if he is still making and selling these. I bought a set several months ago but have yet to find time to install them. They are 1/4", look like they are well thought out, keyed for alignment for simple construction. I'm eventually going to put 44 outers on my 35 beams, apparently is stronger than either individually.
If you start on this I hope you will start a build thread.
Good luck

Richard

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I keep forgetting about Joel's kit without him around here anymore.

He does make some good sturdy stuff, no doubt.

Villain Motorsports I think was the name he sold them under.

skrape

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah my searches turned up some of Copykat's posts, and I emailed a "Villain Motorsports" in Canada, but they weren't the same outfit.

Thanks for the welcome, by the way - seems like a good forum so far, the signal to noise ratio is good.

I was thinking D44 swap because I think I want extra width for the rig I have in mind (and also because Craigslist in my area has lots of opportunities for cheap D44 lockers and gear sets). Does the D44-outers-on-D35-beams trick increase track width?

Hmm - what's the weight difference between a D44 TTB and a D35?

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Hmm - what's the weight difference between a D44 TTB and a D35?
Haven't weighed them exactly, but I would venture a guess around 60- 75lbs, a large part of the difference being due to the ribbed aluminum vs. cast iron centersection.

-Nathan-

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 / 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
HO 5.0 / 7.3 PSD
Transmission
Manual
I have a set of CopyKats brackets, and they are EXTREMELY beefy. Made of all 1/4" steel.

Keep in mind I have D44 arms with D50 C''s, knuckles, and outers, so mine is wider than a D44 would be.

skrape

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Cool - I gots some reading to do ...
Just missed a steal of a deal on a Ranger equipped like I want, but I'm still looking.

skrape

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
urgh - looks like Copykat is taking a break, hopefully he'll be making them again by the time I get the other junk together... I'll PM him on that other board.

prerunnerwannabe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Did you read the thread that I posted a link too? It wouldn't be as epic as using Copykat's brackets but it would make it a bunch easier!
Good luck!

skrape

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
prerunnerwannabe - Yeah, I read that thread, thanks for the point - I gather that poster used the stock Ranger beam pivot points (on a set of Skyjacker lift brackets) and stock Bronco D44 TTB arms, and had all kinds of interesting problems to solve regarding axle shaft lengths...

I got a set of Superlift 4" lift brackets (thank you Craigslist). I've also scored a D44 out of an F150 that already has the D50 center joint in it (and a nifty set of McMillan prerunner fenders -woo!).

I'm gonna set these side-by-side and decide whether I'm going to move the pivot points inboard 1" each on the Superlift brackets, or extend the D44 TTB arms so they're 1" longer each, like was done here:

I'm still researching to see if extending the TTB arms, and the geometry changes that come with that, necessitate any other changes.

Between that skull-work, and accumulating parts, I've yet to cut metal...

skrape

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Made progress

I can't believe it's been so long - but I'm actually making some progress on the truck.

I finally did decide to extend the beams, and do a cut-n-turn on them.

Extended 1 inch at the eye end:

Moved the lower balljoint out:

Plated the whole thing over:

skrape

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Reinforced them with some 'flange' kinda work:

and ported and reinforced the passenger side beam port (I suspect the port is probably not opened enough yet):

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals