• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

D44 TTB questions

Twisted4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
78, 400; 88, 2.3; 89, 2.3; 98, 3.0
Transmission
Manual
getting ready to do some major drive train overhaul on my 89 Ranger 4x4. right now its stock pretty much with the exception of dual 1350's. a buddy of mine is basicly giving me his 96 bronco drivetrain, vortech supercharged 302, D44 ttb and 8.8 rear. both axles have 4.88's with detroits and cromoly shafts. because of this ive been considering putting the ttb in vs a straight axle. so now for my questions. how much trouble is it to put a ttb 44 in place of a ttb 28? will the ring, pinion, and locker from the ttb fit a srtaight axle or are the gears cut different? and aside from the stub shafts, bearings, and rotors, what else is interchangeable between the two? im highly leaning twords putting a solid in but just thought ide look into the other option.

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the guts from the ttb44 will go into a hp44 solid axle.

also,it's not too hard to put the 44ttb into the ranger.do a search,there's info on this on this site.

ChrisR1S

10/2013 STOTM Winner
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Mild 5.0
Transmission
Manual
theres a bunch of threads if you search hard enough.. check out seriousexplorations and desertrangers.

I know a little bit about this swap because im fully aware my D35 isnt gonna live long with my 37s and 5.0 and i don't wanna do the "common" D44 SAS. :icon_welder:

The way i understand it is you first you need to decide if you wanna run the axle full-width or semi full-width.
-semi fullwidth: bolt beams in place of the stock pivot points, space coils out 2" or so from frame on each side, trim and respline passenger side shaft or use HD shaft from f250.
-fullwidth: custom drop brackets to space the beams out to match the pivot points of the f150/bronco, OR extend each beam i think it was 1" to gain the extra width.

and of course either way steering needs to be addressed.

wait for copykat and 4x4junkie to chime in:icon_thumby:

Twisted4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks. well he is putting one tons undr his bronco so ill b able to get his full suspension up front. with all the brackets and me working in a machine shop i should be able to hang brackets from my frame easily. stiil ill look up more info. and anyother info will be appreciated.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Where did he get chromoly shafts for the TTB?

And correct, the axle can be bolted straight in, however extending the beams 1" each side would preserve the width that it had under the Bronco. Buckets need spaced off the frame. The Bronco's stock steering might work, though I'd look into something better for it (K-link or a Stonecrusher style setup).

Twisted4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
not sure where he got the shafts, ordered them somewhere. he has all the paperwork and everything that he's put into it. im still tossing the ideas around as to which option to do, ttb or solid. if i can find a solid 44 with 4.88's and a locker ill probably go with that. are you looking for some ttb 44 shafts? might be willing to do some trading.

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would do TTB

Twisted4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
:icon_thumby:So now the debate begins!! lol TTB or solid?? with the ttb ill have everything i need except the coils, he is keeping them. however im trying to go for as much flex as possible. I know by going solid and using leafs, the swap will be easier and ill be able to control the height easier, plus I should gain the most flex with this setup. Where as with the ttb ill have to find some coils to give me about 4 to 6 inches of lift, plus the issue of steering linkage, and ide have to make me some custom radius arms to gain the flex i want. Then again you see solid fronts everywhere and never see any ttbs. Ill probably go with the ttb since it kinda follows my "guidelines" for my truck. Basicly im building my truck to be the baddest 4x4 seen in KY but with using the most "factory" Ford componets. Right now its got a 2.3 from a 96 Ranger, a TK4 from an 84 Ranger, dual 1350's, stock 28 and 7.5 with open 4.10's, stock suspension, 3in body lift, cut fenders, and 35's. To us on here that sounds like one very unstable setup, but it has served me well for years :icon_thumby:

ChrisR1S

10/2013 STOTM Winner
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Mild 5.0
Transmission
Manual
I vote for the TTB as well. I like being different. Not to mention, around here fullsize TTB rigs are easy to come by and cheap so spare parts aren't an issue. As far as steering goes, I plan on just further modifying my superrunner steering setup.

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual
sounds to me like you need to look into jeep coils!

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Just remember the TTB puts more leaverage on the coils.

Good to know that a D44 TTB is bolt in (full width I could live with).

Going SAS that may turn some heads as compaired to a bolt in set-up. All depends on what your budget allows for and what you will be using the truck for.

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual
Just remember the TTB puts more leaverage on the coils.

Good to know that a D44 TTB is bolt in (full width I could live with).

Going SAS that may turn some heads as compaired to a bolt in set-up. All depends on what your budget allows for and what you will be using the truck for.
SAS will turn heads of ppl that can't notice the different of a D44 TTB. its when the hardcore ford guys turn their heads that i smile and wave!

Twisted4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My Ranger started out as a daily driver when I got it back in 98, however in 03 I had an acident that laid me on the passenger side. With body badly mangled it slowly took on a new role of daily driver/trail beast lol. It makes plenty of heads turn just by looks alone, but when we are out wheeling it realy gets noticed. Ive built my truck slowly over the years one mod at a time proving that you can build a very capable trail truck with very little cash all while still keeping it drivable on the street. My fav mod so far has deffinatly been the dual 1350's :icon_hornsup: I highly recomend it to anyone who wheels. You should see the looks I get from jeep guys when an open diff 4 cyl Ranger out crawls their built up jeeps :yahoo: Im probably gonna go with the ttb swap mainly cause Ill have most everything I need and what I dont have I can make at work. Plus itll keep more of a "stock" looking front which will throw people after they see it in action :icon_thumby:

Chris88GT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Keep us updated on the progress. I have a TTB D44 and a 9" from an 86 FSB that I am going to swap into my 89 BII. I am going full width. Too many other projects going on with the Mustang now, so my swap is sometime down the road.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals