• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

D44 IFS seals

Defective

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
D44 TTB seals

Can anybody offer some insight into what seal(s) go between the axle stub and spindle, and what seal goes on the spindle before the hub/brake disc goes on? I've looked at too many websites and am confused now. It's for a D44/35 hybrid I've been working on and off for years. I think I'm ready to put it all back under the truck, but am stuck here. This is off a '96 f150. The original seals are in pieces. I have a new SKF #18844 that looks like it might go on the axle stub, but it seems like something else should go with it? If somebody can help identify part #s that I can go down to O'rielly, NAPA or Carquest and pick up I'd appreciate it.

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The seals on my D44 ('92 Bronco axle) are the same as on, say, a '79 D44 (and again as found on '90-'92 D35s as well).

A metal flange presses onto the base of axle stub, then a flared-lip seal goes around the metal flange. A (usually gray) plastic shim (spacer) then goes over the axle stub (chamfered side toward yoke) and then a smaller V-groove seal goes over the shim (groove toward yoke).

Timken or National pt# SBK4, or SKF #BK1 should give you everything you need (plus a spindle needle bearing).
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1118867&cc=1106110

Hope that helps

Defective

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks 4x4junkie. Your post inspired me to do some more checking using earlier years and also for a bronco which allowed me to come to this conclusion:

It appears Ford used several different methods in this area on the D44. Later years apparently use an inner and outer axle seal and no metal plate or thrust washer. I'm not sure what years this changed, or if these parts are all interchangable or not.

I found a couple vidoes on a 1994 Bronco on youtube that show pretty much exactly what I've got on the f150 setup, except for the f150 has two spindle nuts and a lockwasher, vs the single setup on the Bronco.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYkmL0wR2lg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNbDwF08X6k

So it looks like I had the right parts laying around, however the outer seal is missing in action, which was part of what was throwing me off. I'll pick up a new one and start reassembly it all again.

Here's some pictures of the outer seal in place for reference:

Your post led to this and getting my memory jogged, so I do thank you for that. If you or anybody else have any more commentary on the subjuct, I would appreciate it.

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Ok, you have the later setup (used on most '93-'97 D35s also).
I have a feeling the earlier setup may be better based only on the fact I've yet to have any water getting in through mine where a couple buddies with later rigs did (I'll admit I don't know the full maintenance history of their rigs though). If anything, the earlier ones do seem a bit easier to find.

FWIW, Rockauto.com lists the above pt#s for your '96.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals