• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

D35 TTB LSD Options? Lockers?

RedBowTies88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hi everyone.

Going to be regearing my '95 4.0 manual and I would ideally like to be able to find an LSD that'll fit/work in the d35TTB. I've read a lot of varied and conflicting info about what works/doesn't work. I don't want to get into as big of a project of SASing or D44 swapping. Going to be running 33x10.50's.

truck is a work truck that will potentially be plowing a bit, and also doing some wheeling here and there. I will consider a locker if no LSD's are available, but would prefer not to.

Trying to stay away from lunchboxes, i've had issues in the past with them.

I appreciate any info. Also if anyone wants to drop any links to a cheap but not junk 4.56 gear set that would also be appreciated!

Thanks

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
This has been done. Good thread to read:

I would be hesitant to put a lunchbox locker in a D35 as well, mainly because if you break it on the trail, you are removing the axle beam to fix it. I have a Lock-rite in my D44 (solid axle) that requires me to remove the ring gear from the carrier...but that is still something that's relatively easy out in the woods.

I put an Eaton E-Locker in my Explorer's front axle, I really like it but it was about $1500... hard pill to swallow unless you absolutely need a selectable front locker.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I would think lunchbox locker is probably undesirable for plowing since it degrades maneuverability.
As far as breaking an axle shaft on the trail, my plan if that happens is to just pull the broken axle shaft out and plug the hole in the diff to keep the oil in. Then wheel on in 3 wheel drive. I have Aussie lockers in my D35 and 8.8” and the c-clip is eliminated in my D35. Works good for me. But the truck is mostly used for wheeling adventures.

RedBowTies88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
This has been done. Good thread to read:

I would be hesitant to put a lunchbox locker in a D35 as well, mainly because if you break it on the trail, you are removing the axle beam to fix it. I have a Lock-rite in my D44 (solid axle) that requires me to remove the ring gear from the carrier...but that is still something that's relatively easy out in the woods.

I put an Eaton E-Locker in my Explorer's front axle, I really like it but it was about $1500... hard pill to swallow unless you absolutely need a selectable front locker.

Thanks for the link, but am well versed in the working of each type (and sub types therein).

My issue is compatibility. Nothing really is showing compatibility with the TTB D35. I've read reports of people using jeep d35 carriers, and other reports of them not working.

The big manufactures like Yukon and Detroit all have "d35" offerings, however when specifically narrowed down by vehicle nothing is shown as an option.

is the D35 TTB housing unique enough to require proprietary carriers? Spline count wrong between the TTB and jeep d35's? Why aren't these manufactures/retailers listing carriers? Is it just that my google-fu is lacking?

These products are too expensive (to buy + return shipping) to experiment with. Not to mention down time while the truck is blown apart.

What will definitely work in my factory housing, with factory axles, and a 4.56 ring gear?

Thanks.

RedBowTies88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I would think lunchbox locker is probably undesirable for plowing since it degrades maneuverability.
As far as breaking an axle shaft on the trail, my plan if that happens is to just pull the broken axle shaft out and plug the hole in the diff to keep the oil in. Then wheel on in 3 wheel drive. I have Aussie lockers in my D35 and 8.8” and the c-clip is eliminated in my D35. Works good for me. But the truck is mostly used for wheeling adventures.
Does the 28 Spline 8.8 require C-clips also? Planning on running a TruTrac in the rear and I've never dealt with a c-clip differential. I've just done suzuki's and some bigger free float stuff. Thanks.

EDIT: Just though of this...

How do you pull the 3rd member of a TTB if the axles are held in with clips? Wont the axles have to be removed before the housing can be pulled from the swing arm?

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
My experience with the E-Locker is that it fit both Jeep and Ford TTB D35s but it required different carrier bearings for the Ford application. The ones that came with my install kit didn't work but the pinion bearings did.

Part of the problem is that regearing a Jeep application is FAR more common than us regearing our D35s. I would suggest finding a shop that installs gears and pick their brains and also call the manufacturers.

The guy who does gears for me, and has been doing it for 20+ years, had never done a D35 TTB before I brought him mine. We had a laugh about that after he got done...he built a custom fixture to hold the 3rd member in his vise in case he has to do another one.

RedBowTies88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
My experience with the E-Locker is that it fit both Jeep and Ford TTB D35s but it required different carrier bearings for the Ford application. The ones that came with my install kit didn't work but the pinion bearings did.

Part of the problem is that regearing a Jeep application is FAR more common than us regearing our D35s. I would suggest finding a shop that installs gears and pick their brains and also call the manufacturers.

The guy who does gears for me, and has been doing it for 20+ years, had never done a D35 TTB before I brought him mine. We had a laugh about that after he got done...he built a custom fixture to hold the 3rd member in his vise in case he has to do another one.

Much like your experience I can say with certainty that no shop in this area has enough (If any) experience with a TTB setup to know what carriers will and will not fit.

It's impossible to get someone at Eaton and after 20 minutes on hold (twice) with Yukon I gave up. Neither has answered my email in the last 2 weeks.

Google has provided nothing solid, this is why I've turned to the forum. Someone here must have some experience inside these things to say that jeep carriers will or wont work, and/or why.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Does the 28 Spline 8.8 require C-clips also? Planning on running a TruTrac in the rear and I've never dealt with a c-clip differential. I've just done suzuki's and some bigger free float stuff. Thanks.

EDIT: Just though of this...

How do you pull the 3rd member of a TTB if the axles are held in with clips? Wont the axles have to be removed before the housing can be pulled from the swing arm?
Yes. The Ford 8.8” axle is a C-clip axle. Very easy to remove the clips.

With the D28/D35, the driver side shaft slides out. There is no C-Clip on it. The passenger side shaft has a slip joint. Once you unclamp the boot over the slip joint, then the part of the shaft that goes into the differential housing can move with the housing as you pull it out.

While you have it apart (the D28 or D35), you may want to have someone drill a drain hole and tap it for a plug or weld in a threaded bung. This will make future oil changes much faster and easier. There is an article in our tech library that outlines using a spring and eliminating the C-Clip on the TTB axle shaft. The 8.8 c-clips aren’t so easy to get rid of.

sorry I don’t have your answer about carriers.

RedBowTies88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yes. The Ford 8.8” axle is a C-clip axle. Very easy to remove the clips.

With the D28/D35, the driver side shaft slides out. There is no C-Clip on it. The passenger side shaft has a slip joint. Once you unclamp the boot over the slip joint, then the part of the shaft that goes into the differential housing can move with the housing as you pull it out.

While you have it apart (the D28 or D35), you may want to have someone drill a drain hole and tap it for a plug or weld in a threaded bung. This will make future oil changes much faster and easier. There is an article in our tech library that outlines using a spring and eliminating the C-Clip on the TTB axle shaft. The 8.8 c-clips aren’t so easy to get rid of.

sorry I don’t have your answer about carriers.
No worries man, that's still some really good info. Thanks!

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
@4x4junkie is a great source of info in this department, hopefully he will chime in.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Tru Trac....arb and e lockers can fit a ttb...make sure it's the older application with 27 spline.

There are sometimes fitment issues. A competent shop can address. Minor grinding or lathe work and shimming can happen with rc gears depending on ratio....

Not sure if the guy is on this forum. But there are some custom 30 spline application 44 knuckle hybrids with alloy shafts. The sla has a few issues...but that is a 30 vs 35 thing in application change over.

RedBowTies88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Tru Trac....arb and e lockers can fit a ttb...make sure it's the older application with 27 spline.

There are sometimes fitment issues. A competent shop can address. Minor grinding or lathe work and shimming can happen with rc gears depending on ratio....

Not sure if the guy is on this forum. But there are some custom 30 spline application 44 knuckle hybrids with alloy shafts. The sla has a few issues...but that is a 30 vs 35 thing in application change over.
Thanks! You're fairly positive that the truetrac will fit with only minor issues? I don't want to seem dismissive or ungrateful, I just want to be as sure as I can be before I spend $500 on a carrier. I'm as good on a grinder as the next guy, but I don't have machine equipment.

I've seen the hybird threads. It's a cool/practical idea, but it's just too much for my application. I'm already going to have more into gears/carrier than I paid for the truck. She's only ever going to see 33's and with the lsd carrier I think it should survive any scenario I can put it in (within reason).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals