• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

D35 spider gears?

sjranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was forced to limp home the other day with just the front axle engaged on my BII. It is a D35 from a '94 Exploder, open, with 4.88's. It seems like it binds on corners when on the gas. It was especially noticeable at intersections where the truck would try to buck side to side and spin the tires when it started rocking.

I pulled the front end apart today to do my balljoints and it seems like the axles try to 'grab' when turning the shafts, both driver and passenger, and the same thing when turning the driveshaft. When I pulled the driver side shaft out, the 'grabbing' went away when turning the pass shaft and driveshaft.

I slipped the driver shaft back in and it felt as though there was a lot of movement in the shaft when it was engaged in the spider in the diff. I am certain that I placed the corresponding shims and spiders in the same spot, but I don't know the initial condition of the axle before re-gearing.

I think that the spiders may be worn down far enough to be loose and maybe that's what is causing it, but I'm not sure yet. Does anyone know what the problem is or have any other ideas?

Also, the u-joints are all new, so it probably isn't those..

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Do they show any wear? Have you pulled the pig?

sjranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They showed some wear when I did the re-gear last month but they didn't look too bad. I was going to drop the pig today but the rain picked up again so I probably won't get to it until this weekend.

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I would drop it and double check.

If you do have any problems internally, I have a whole D35 carrier you can have for $30 + shipping.

sjranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well I pulled the pig tonight and the gears look good, not worn badly at all.. I did notice tho that the driver side drive gear of the spiders seems to have some side to side play like it needs some more shims behind it. This seems to cause alot of play in the driver side axle and stub shaft and I'm guessing that movement may be what is causing the binding.

Any guesses? What should those suckers be shimmed to tolerance wise?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals